My COVID19 Journey

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Fitz, you gotta do it the hard way (no superheroes - drat). We're still cheering for your good news. It sounds like you might have turned the tide.

I got a big chin, but I'm no Chuck Norris (more Jim Aparo Joker-chin than Bruce Campbell, though. That's probably what holds me back.)

SharonParis

Villager
My advice is “get that flight, get home”

Very much so. If you know that the government of the country you are in is banning international flights in two days’ time, just get online and find a flight. In extremes, go to the airport and just see what you can find. Most people, I hope, will be able to get out.

Auto clicker

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
We are in total quarantine, with passes needed to move around and with complete closure of intercity travel. And all that because few idiots couldn't sray inside.

But on the other hand we have very, very low increase in the number of cases. I'm working from home (IT), the state is moving to support small businesses and everyone is looking for ways to contribute (for example, students started 3d printing of transparent visors for the doctors, our clothes facrory switched to protective gear, drinks factory i re-destilling their own supplies creating pure alcohol for the hospitals).

We has an earthquake and freezing weather this week. Those without homes were simply moved into student dormitories and provided with food and other basics. I'd say it brings out the best in most and idiots remain idiots:)

For me, no family cases, some colleagues got it, but were isolated immediatelly and out italia directors went into the isolation before Italy exploded.

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
In other words, take the measures seriously, if not for yourself then for your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends and neighbors.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
1) We are in total quarantine, with passes needed to move around and with complete closure of intercity travel. And all that because few idiots couldn't stay inside.
2) We had an earthquake and freezing weather this week. Those without homes were simply moved into student dormitories and provided with food and other basics.
3) I'd say it brings out the best in most and idiots remain idiots:)
4) In other words, take the measures seriously, if not for yourself then for your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends and neighbors.

1) That's probably smart at this point.

2) Earthquake and freezing is terrible at a time like this. Good thing you're taking care of the homeless. We had the trouble of the first beautiful weather of spring. Embarrassingly, it caused people to fill our parks and beaches with picnicking right at the crucial early stages. We're starting to find out what a mistake that was. (Hey, at least we didn't have spring-breakers saying, "But I've been waiting three months to PAAARRRTYY! WOOOH!") Sigh.

3) That sounds about right. There's been a nice, renewed sense of community with most people, and a bunch of selfishness as well (more of the good than the bad, IMO).

4) Absolutely.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The whole "clap for the NHS" thing was heartwarming the other day. I opened my door at 8pm and I could hear applause and cheers across the entire city, and this was apparently the case across the entire country. Millions of people simultaneously applauding the NHS workers who are keeping people alive.

The PM asked for volunteers to help the NHS, and as of now, nearly 800,000 people have volunteered. They'll be transporting patients and medicines, logistical stuff, basically all the stuff you don't need medical training for.

Sometimes it's good to get a reminder that most people are basically decent and kind. Working online can distort that view.

Porridge

Explorer
Thanks for posting this; it’s helpful to get a feel for what having it is like.

How are you feeling now? And have your wife or child started showing any symptoms?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Curious what exactly it is about pet fur that prevents it from living on it but not plastic or cardboard?

Well, let's talk about that a bit...

There are actually three questions involved in this:
1) How long is the virus "alive" (meaning, it is viable and can infect a person) on the surface in question?
2) How long is the virus detectable on the surface in question?
3) How well does the surface allow transfer of the virus to a human being?

For example, copper is a poor surface for covid-19 for both the first and second points - the metal is reactive, and that leads to quick chemical degradation in the presence of a moisture droplet.

Stainless steel and plastic are not reactive - so the virus lasts longer. But here, we should note that while they initially reported that the virus exists on stainless steel and plastic for days, that was about it being detectable/ - fragments of viral RNS could be found. We should then note that the half-life for the virus' existence on these surfaces is on the order of six hours or so. After just a few half-lives, while the virus is detectable by our measurements, the chances of someone getting infected from touching it has dropped significantly.

On cardboard, the virus lasts about a day - best explanation here is that the fibrous surface leeches moisture out of the droplets, drying them and allowing degradation on contact with air.

Animal fur may act a little like cardboard.

But, perhaps more importantly, animal fur may have the win on question (3). We should consider the structure of fur - which is basically hair. Fibers with tiny microscopic scales. Those scales likely hold onto tiny droplets or viral particles really well - better than the skin of your hand. So, in contact between fur and human skin... the viral particles are far more likely to stay on the fur.

Remove ads