My COVID19 Journey

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I am going to sound like cold-blooded* Dracula for a moment:
The results from a blood test would be very interesting. You have to be full of active antibodies and dying viruses.

Not so Dracula as all that - importing antibodies from a recovered patient is a treatment that can be used when there's no vaccine to help you make your own. There were ads going around Boston (and I presume elsewhere) asking for recovered patients to come help in the study of the viability of this for covid-19.

Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Ditto. On the mend is awesome.

Testing in Boston finally got to the point where my wife could get checked, and she came back negative. So, she very likely just has garden variety bronchitis with a touch of pleuritis or asthma. Still sick, but nothing life-threatening.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Not so Dracula as all that - importing antibodies from a recovered patient is a treatment that can be used when there's no vaccine to help you make your own. There were ads going around Boston (and I presume elsewhere) asking for recovered patients to come help in the study of the viability of this for covid-19.
For anyone interested, there was an AP story on this topic just this morning:

Ditto. On the mend is awesome.

Testing in Boston finally got to the point where my wife could get checked, and she came back negative. So, she very likely just has garden variety bronchitis with a touch of pleuritis or asthma. Still sick, but nothing life-threatening.

Good news.

happyhermit

Adventurer
Hope you are back to 100%. Don't usually share personal stuff but just lost a once very close relative who moved out to B.C some years ago, due to Covid. Test still not back yet but either way, he was told to stay away from the hospital despite showing severe symptoms and died in isolation. Kicking myself for not staying in touch more but work hasn't stopped for me, it is just extremely inefficient, uncertain, and losing me money, and have been trying my best to keep in touch with others that I can more easily help.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
1) Hope you are back to 100%.
2) Don't usually share personal stuff but just lost a once very close relative who moved out to B.C some years ago, due to Covid. Test still not back yet but either way, he was told to stay away from the hospital despite showing severe symptoms and died in isolation.
3) Kicking myself for not staying in touch more but work hasn't stopped for me, it is just extremely inefficient, uncertain, and losing me money, and have been trying my best to keep in touch with others that I can more easily help.

1) I'm not actually. I really thought I would be by now, but I've been going through a cycle of getting better for a few days, and then starting over from the beginning with a headache and cough (though not as bad, usually, and the cycle keeps getting faster - I'm hoping it'll end soon. I'm at day 24 FFS!)

I didn't update here, because I didn't want people to worry. I've spoken to my doctor every couple of days. I'm not alone, so I'm as sure as I can be (which is only a little bit) that if I went downhill fast, I'd get the attention I need - I live very close to a hospital, as well. I've been worried a few times, but aside from it being terribly hard for me to beat, I have (for the most part) only ever had mild symptoms.

2) I'm terribly sorry to hear that. Sorry for your loss.

3) I think I know how you feel - I've struggled to keep in touch with some people who are very important to me. Might be time for me to reach out...

Thanks for sharing your personal harrowing journey. I myself remain in good health (for now), despite the province I live in being the center of the epidemic in the Netherlands. I'm being very careful, perhaps more so than others around me. I wash my hands whenever I've been outside, and I've cancelled all my social gatherings (including D&D). I wear protective gloves to the supermarket, and seem to be the only person doing so. Over here people don't wear face masks yet, and this makes me wonder why our government hasn't issued a recommendation to do this yet, when other countries have. There are very inconsistent responses to this virus from country to country.

happyhermit

Adventurer
Over here people don't wear face masks yet, and this makes me wonder why our government hasn't issued a recommendation to do this yet, when other countries have. There are very inconsistent responses to this virus from country to country.

You probably have heard the most common reasons ie; if worn incorrectly masks can increase the spread of disease, concerns about lack of supply for healthcare workers, etc. The responses are certainly inconsistent but it isn't without reason entirely.

Remove ads