D&D 5E My D&D Next Experience at DDXP

Osgood

Adventurer
This is both really interesting and rather disappointing to hear. Your group sounds like it has opinions on 3E and 4E that are not very different from my own, so it weakens my enthusiasm a little...

Keep the faith brother (or sister). While I was initially pretty discourage too, I remind myself that this was the base game. If (and its a big if) WotC can deliver rule modules that allow each group to craft their own version of D&D, I think it can work. To me the critical element is that the rule modules that allow the play styles of 3e/4E come out (preferably) with or at the same time as the core rules. I don't want to wait 6 months to play D&D my way...

Osgood

Adventurer
Considering the numerous criticisms you had for D&Dn, what do you feel they did right? Even with your negative experience, is there a feeling of "almost there" where you can see this becoming an enjoyable system to play?

Since they let this cat out of the bag at the seminars, I feel comfortable saying I really liked the way themes were included and what they did. The races felt right to me too.

As far as playability, that entirely depends on the rule modules. The the base game really tires to capture a 1E/2E feel; I left that style of play behind a long time ago, and have never really looked back. I think someone who prefers that style will be much happier with it (but its different enough that I don't know they would switch over). I could appreciate the old school feel coming from that background, but the younger members of my group who don't have those memories were horrified and off-put by it.

Oni

First Post
I think this question is probably general enough that you can answer it. Would the information on your character sheets have been able to easily fit on a note card?

Raith5

Adventurer
Interesting thoughts, Thanks!

I think for certain things like healing they would be better off just developing separate standalone rules modules that groups can use instead of making some patchwork that no one will like.

You want to go whole hog on 4e style surges, use this module. If you want old school lethality and make healing a matter of magic and bed rest, use this module.

I agree with this. The idea of having PCs with different mechanics at the same table just strikes me a crazy ambitious. It is also rolls against a table sharing/making a collective experience which includes some shared understanding of the level of lethality, the importance of combat vs roleplaying, etc.

BryonD

Hero
I have a non-NDA question. (I think)

There were some comments about a significant new mechanic that solved some problems.

Was there anything that jumped out as a clear new mechanic? (Clearly you saw a lot of "frankenstein") I'm not asking for any details, just can you confirm or deny such innovation? :)

I'm curious because that could be an important piece for everyone to withhold judgment about.

thanks

Blastin

First Post
Guess I'll chime in here with my report as well. I got to play two sessions, one as the cleric and one as the paladin.
My background: Been playing for 32 years, started with AD&D up through every version till current (4th) as well as Pathfinder and lots of other systems. I'm a fan of all the editions, including 4th, but probably have the most experience running second and 3rd.
Overall I had fun. The second session was a bit of a mixed bag, as the gm was creative and animated, but was unfamiliar with the rules. So, he was a good DM, but a crappy PLAYTEST DM.
There were a few mechanics that I thought were neat ideas and seemed to be newer approaches to the game. Then there were a fair amount of things that I felt were very familiar to me already. It didn't take much effort at all to figure out how most of the character ideas worked.
Of the two classes I played I liked the paladin the best, as it seemed to play well and I liked how the class mechanics worked.
To me, the cleric (and from what I saw, the wizard) both had some play issues. I had a particular familiar problem with the cleric that I haven't seen in a while.
I think the base that they presented has a LOT of potential. They reminded us often that what we were seeing was VERY rough/early. I think there is a VERY good chance that they can carve a version out of these rules that will make a great game and I look forward to seeing what happens next because I think it will be good.

Osgood

Adventurer
I think this question is probably general enough that you can answer it. Would the information on your character sheets have been able to easily fit on a note card?
Each character was on a double-sided sheet of paper, with the spell casters having an extra double-sided sheet for spells. The character sheets had a lot of class description info, but I think it would be easy enough to fit on an index card, not counting spells. Bear in mind these characters were 1st level, I'm not sure how much additional information higher levels will add.

I have a non-NDA question. (I think)

There were some comments about a significant new mechanic that solved some problems.

Was there anything that jumped out as a clear new mechanic? (Clearly you saw a lot of "frankenstein") I'm not asking for any details, just can you confirm or deny such innovation? :)

I think I know what you are referring to, but I don't think of it as a new or innovative mechanic as much as a new approach to an existing mechanic... almost a re-branding of said mechanic.

The Frankenstein was really one specific element related to healing/recovery. In general most mechanics seemed imported, more or less intact, from their edition of origin. I'll say this too: there was definitely an edition that seemed to be the "go to" edition for rules.

Rechan

Adventurer
I could appreciate the old school feel coming from that background, but the younger members of my group who don't have those memories were horrified and off-put by it.
The reaction of your younger members is starting to become my feelings, reading various info.

I'm glad you got to give Monte your feedback directly, and thanks for your report here.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases