• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My firrst AoO built

Trance-Zg

First Post
For AoO build;

Guisarme(10ft reach) or spiked chain so you don't have to worry about 5ft dead zone(and +2 disarm bonus): Combat reflexes, expertise, improved trip, improved disarm, hold the line, power attack, cleave. for 5ft range dead zone take quick draw or improved unarmed strike or spiked gauntlet or spiked armor. Also get some cheap item that will give you 2/3 times per day enlarge person :devil: .

BENINHB

First Post
A Reach/Trip build is definitely more powerful as an AoO based character.

BUT, if this is the character you want to play more power to you. It can still be fun.

Since you are getting so many attacks little bumps will make a big difference over time. Bless, Magic Weapon, Knowledge Devotion, Bulls Strength, etc. I prefer things that boost both attack and damage, it's more versatile since attack bonus can be converted into damage with Power Attack, or just be left as an attack bonus to help those extra attacks hit.

You already have at least 13 INT for combat expertise right?? Take a dip into Wizard. Pick up a couple spells to buff yourself, get Knowledge Skills to fuel Knowledge Devotion, use wands and scrolls (eternal wands are especially nice, throw wand chambers into the hilts of your weapons)

ProudWalker

First Post
Actually BENINHB just after the last session we saw that it's a prerequisite to have 13 INT.

It would be nice to throw some wizard levels too but the rp of my character is that he doesn't feel very comfortable around magic (stupid choice of characteristics in that kind of world...)

Empirate

First Post
If you want to deal damage as a fighter, you don't go for a Dexterity based build.

If you got rid of Dodge and Weapon Finesse and picked up Power Attack and Robiliar's Gambit, you'll see a massive increase in DPS.

Unusually, I'll have to disagree with Dandu here. In an AoO build, Dex cannot be too high, and will likely be higher than your Str. Might as well take advantage of the fact by using Weapon Finesse - IF you have the feat to spare, that is!

Dodge, on the other hand, is one of the most abysmal feats out there. How about Run or Lightning Reflexes... or something useful instead?

Two levels of Passive Way Monk will stand you in good stead.

Karmic Strike and Robilar's Gambit may be ruled to stack by your DM - or they may not. In the latter case, only get one. Robilar's Gambit is much the better feat, but can't be taken until higher level. Maybe take Karmic Strike, then retrain later?

Definitely invest in a reach weapon and get rid of Scimitars. You're getting a large enough number of attacks from AoOs (you can hope), so TWF is even more suboptimal in your case than it already is normally. The Spiked Chain would go nicely with Weapon Finesse if you want that, while the Guisarme saves a feat. If you take a Guisarme, you can still threaten the area directly surrounding you with Armor Spikes, or Unarmed Strikes, if you have Monk levels.

Combat Expertise can be an OK feat, but usually it isn't worth it. If you're going for Improved Trip with your Guisarme or Spiked Chain, though, it's a prereq, might as well use it from time to time. Note that your Int needs to be at least 13, which can be a pain. Again, take Passive Way Monk to avoid that.

Martial Study and Martial Stance to get your hands on the Thicket of Blades stance are highly recommended in every AoO build!

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Put me down as another supporter of the AoO build. As other fans point out, you really need to focus on the Combat Reflexes feat tree- Stand Still, Hold the Line, etc.- though I'm surprised nobody mentioned Deft Opportunist. That's from CompAdv and grants +4Att to AoOs- definitely makes up for whatever accuracy is lost by not having a Str-based melee build...and if you also have a high Str, then it's just gravy.

If you don't want to lose damage when enemies close, you'll want to avoid taking Imp. Unarmed Combat or wearing spiked gauntlets/armor, and instead look in either PHB2 or Dragon Compendium for the feats that let you use your reach weapon in close quarters. (Assuming, of course, you're not using a reach weapon that let's you do that already, like the spiked chain or kusarigama.)

As for weapon choice...guisarmes and glaives are faves for martial weapons for good reasons. Among the exotics, spiked chains are the usual favorite, but I prefer the Greatspear from Comp. Warrior: 2d6x3P, Reach 10, RI 10'. The only question about it is whether it does or does not do double damage set against a charge like all the other spears (esp. like the longspear, with which it shares feat overlap; see Comp. Adv. P116, as I recall)- the language is not in it's entry...but I suspect it's an unintentional omission.

iamtheend

First Post
Netbook of Feats has "Near and Far" for a Polearm Like a Glaive which I suggest you take Improved Trip and Knock Down for free trips for doing +10 damage [FONT=&quot]Jotunbrud feat from forgotten realms Races of Faerun[/FONT]http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/rulebook-23-races-of-faerun.html[FONT=&quot] grants Powerful Build so you have better bonus for Trips. Could still do this and get a Large Spiked chain to help with the damage for knock down.
[/FONT]

parinho7

First Post
improved combat reflexes and greater combat reflexes from dragon magazine 340 allow you three attacks when you make an attack of opportunity

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads