• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My first Savage Worlds experience...

RandomCitizenX

First Post
After running a few SW Deadlands session over the past month I think that the biggest thing helps the PCs is the inclusion of the Wild Die. I have seen many a poor trait role saved because of a REDICULOUSLY high roll on the Wild Die.

WSmith

First Post
My quick tips on Savage Worlds:

1. Run and/or play it AT LEAST three times. For some reason after the third game or so it just seems to click.

2. For fantasy, magic needs some tinkering. This is not a bad thing, as you can inject the flavor you want with the type of spells you like. I personally do not like the "recharge" model. I prefer a "soul-drain / rest" model" (which I cannot seem to find now.)

3. Extras in a fantasy setting need a little work. I would say either not allow them to roll to recover from being shaken, or have all extras incur a -2 penalty to all shaken rolls. I ran a battle once where a bunch of lowly goblins lasted way too long as they kept shaking off being shaken. :confused:

Asmor

First Post
WSmith said:
My quick tips on Savage Worlds:

1. Run and/or play it AT LEAST three times. For some reason after the third game or so it just seems to click.

2. For fantasy, magic needs some tinkering. This is not a bad thing, as you can inject the flavor you want with the type of spells you like. I personally do not like the "recharge" model. I prefer a "soul-drain / rest" model" (which I cannot seem to find now.)

3. Extras in a fantasy setting need a little work. I would say either not allow them to roll to recover from being shaken, or have all extras incur a -2 penalty to all shaken rolls. I ran a battle once where a bunch of lowly goblins lasted way too long as they kept shaking off being shaken. :confused:

2. I disagree, but that's basically a matter of preference, so there's no right or wrong. To each their own!

3. I'd say your problem there is that the goblins' spirit rolls are too easy, then. They're freakin' goblins, they should be cowardly and fearful little buggers. Give them a d4 spirit, so there's only a 25% chance of them coming out of shaken. Then give them a commander or two who gives them all a bonus (+1 or +2) on spirit rolls... and bam, you have a group of cowardly goblins who almost literally fall apart when you take out their leader.

Also, even if they have insane spirit rolls, a raise on damage will incapacitate any extra. I can't imagine goblins having such high toughness that it's difficult to get a raise on damage.

Flynn

First Post
Thanks for the advice, guys. I really started feeling it click together during my second session, the one where I was a player in a Solomon Kane one shot. I still think I need a third session to really let it sink in, but I do think my next campaign will indeed be Savage Worlds. (If not, it'll be Fantasy Concepts, hands down.)

Any further advice or observations would be greatly appreciated.

With Regards,
Flynn

WSmith

First Post
Asmor said:
3. I'd say your problem there is that the goblins' spirit rolls are too easy, then. They're freakin' goblins, they should be cowardly and fearful little buggers. Give them a d4 spirit, so there's only a 25% chance of them coming out of shaken. Then give them a commander or two who gives them all a bonus (+1 or +2) on spirit rolls... and bam, you have a group of cowardly goblins who almost literally fall apart when you take out their leader.

Also, even if they have insane spirit rolls, a raise on damage will incapacitate any extra. I can't imagine goblins having such high toughness that it's difficult to get a raise on damage.

The leader idea is a good one. This was way back when the game first came out so I don't remember it in too much detail, (though I think I wrote it up somewhere.) I am sure I was using the stats right from the book.

I had the first edition, too. IIRC, the newer editions give you a single bonus to damage no matter how much the raises are, (as opposed to a bonus for every raise.) Is that true?

I might order the pocket edition and give it another try. I was in a SW frenzy when it first came out, after which my interest wained.

Asmor

First Post
WSmith said:
The leader idea is a good one. This was way back when the game first came out so I don't remember it in too much detail, (though I think I wrote it up somewhere.) I am sure I was using the stats right from the book.

I had the first edition, too. IIRC, the newer editions give you a single bonus to damage no matter how much the raises are, (as opposed to a bonus for every raise.) Is that true?

I might order the pocket edition and give it another try. I was in a SW frenzy when it first came out, after which my interest wained.

Aye, you can now get at most +1d6 damage from getting a raise on your fighting/shooting roll. Raises beyond the first do nothing else, although there may be an edge or something that changes that.

Thanee

First Post
Flynn said:
The most updated rules set, the Explorer's Edition, gets rid of this mechanic for two reasons: 1st) to avoid the situation you described; and 2nd) to encourage the use of bennies during the game.

That was my very first house rule, way before I even had fully read the rules. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
To be fair, though, I already had experience with a very similar rule from TORG. ;)

Fate Chips (the Deadlands Bennies; I only play Deadlands with SW) are there to be used, not to be hoarded.

Some things I dislike about SW... Initiative is pretty much entirely random and Attributes have little influence in Skill rolls (thinking about changing the Wild Die to the Attribute Die for Skill rolls).

But all in all the system works really smooth. :D

Only thing that takes long is for inexperienced players to choose Edges. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads