4E My First Scoop - info on 4e Gnolls! [Morrus, is this news worthy?!]

Nyaricus

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
Oh, and I love the flavor of gnolls in 4E.
Ari Marmell (sp?) was just saying this yesterday about how he likes the new gnoll flavour - and now in this scoop, Morrus linked us to Scott Winters blog, which had this to say:

Steve Winter said:
In the past, gnolls were like mistreated junkyard dogs. Now, gnolls are like mistreated junkyard devil-dogs. Catch the difference?
So, it seems gnolls are becoming more devilish in 4e, possibly their connection with what's-his-name (that devil lord who looks like a gnoll) is going to be played up in 4e... (possible Warlock connection? Devil Pacts?)

Anyways, just a small catch of mine for all you Gnoll-lovers out there!

cheers,
--N

DandD

First Post
Didn't the Gnolls rather have a demonic patron somewhere in the Abyss in 3rd edition? They were Chaotic Evil, as far as I remember. So, making them devilish is quite... a change, like the change of putting succubi on the Devil team, I guess.

Klaus

First Post
Gnolls and Ghouls, btw.

And before him gnolls had another god, who lost influence and diminished to the point where he was merely an uber-gnoll. PCs had to take him down in one of the adventures in Planes of Chaos, iirc.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Not really news-worthy, we already know much more than that about gnolls from the Worlds and Monsters book...

Sorry Nyaricus!

Voss

First Post
I took the devil-dog comment just to mean that as dog is to devil-dog, so 3e gnoll is to 4e gnoll. They were just more of a threat.
Because Yeenoghu is a demon and all.

Sonny

Explorer
Voss said:
I took the devil-dog comment just to mean that as dog is to devil-dog, so 3e gnoll is to 4e gnoll. They were just more of a threat.
Because Yeenoghu is a demon and all.
Then again, Gnolls were serving the Ruler of Ruins, when Nerath fell. I have no idea who the Ruler of Ruin is, but it sounds like it could be a demon lord.

Kesh

First Post
Dear god, you have no idea how badly I want to play a gnoll warlock right now. :D

Anyway, gnolls revere Yeenoghu, who usurped the layer of the Abyss ruled by the King of Ghouls. Hence, his reverence by both gnolls and ravenous undead.

He is also responsible for their excellent pimpin' skills.

Voss

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
I love Gnolls and I think they're underused.
I agree. They're one of two truly 'monstrous' humanoids in my own setting, along with ogres. Goblins are slaves and hobgoblins are just too civilized. I was fully intending on using them very early on as the brutes that threaten small communities.

I also hope they're staying low level. I think that playtest is around 2nd or 3rd level.

Peter LaCara

First Post
It's also worth noting that Devil Dogs is one of the US Marine Corps' many nicknames. The Marines are widely accepted to be badasses, so it's certainly possible that gnolls are now becoming similarly badass.

That's how I read it, at least.

Steely Dan

First Post
Maybe as demons are all beasty and devils are the weapon wielding, mortal followed pimps, Yeenoghu is now a devil.

And gnolls make pacts with him and what not.

Klaus

First Post
The only thing I don't particularly like is the archery tendency given to gnolls. As hyena-men, I'd rather see them pouncing on the weak in a savage frenzy, laughing at the prospect of causing pain.

In fact, gnolls gaining the ability to unnerve foes with their laughter at later levels would be mighty cool.

Bishmon

First Post
BiggusGeekus said:
I love Gnolls and I think they're underused.
I absolutely agree.

I'm not sure, though, how much I want to see them go the devil-ish route but I'll wait and see what WotC does.

Most Liked Threads

Advertisement2

Advertisement4