My girlfriend has a question....

AlioTheFool

First Post
While not having the exploits of jbear, I'm along those same lines. I have always been an athlete, and actually gave up D&D from junior high until a few years ago.

My wife is constantly saying "You aren't a geek, deal with it" but I keep insisting I am. Whatever. Really, I wish labels would go the way of the dodo already. When are we, as a human race, going to finally accept that we all have "our thing" whether that is D&D, Star Wars, Star Trek, Twilight, Baseball, Football, Foosball, Chess, Weightlifting, Water Skiing, Sailing, Dancing, Txting, Partying, whatever, and stop applying labels to people who enjoy one thing over another?

Maybe "labels" isn't what I mean, but more stereotype labels. I don't think "gamer" is necessarily seen as a negative label (thanks to video games' popularity) but "gamer geek" is seen as negative.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm glad jbear has a sense of humor...I've seen rugby guys get their ears torn off, and I like mine where they are!

IME, gaming only really has the geek albatross hanging around its neck in the USA. Many of my gamer buddies in other countries (both "furiners" and Americans abroad) have told me that gaming overseas doesn't have the same kind of stigma there as here.

surfarcher

First Post
She wants to know why we are all geeks? Wondering what I should tell her......

Scientists believe that a combination of three genes makes us geeks. Interestingly these same three genes are also linked with prowess between the sheets.

Hence jocks being known as "two second Toms".

Ladies be warned.

Pig Champion

First Post
That's rude. Ask her why all her clothes make her look really fat.

That'll show her!

I should also put it out there that rugby is a geeky sport. Here we have a game called League which is considered a man's game while geeks play rugby and football (soccer) as to avoid getting hurt.

Fridayknight

First Post
That's rude. Ask her why all her clothes make her look really fat.

That'll show her!

I should also put it out there that rugby is a geeky sport. Here we have a game called League which is considered a man's game while geeks play rugby and football (soccer) as to avoid getting hurt.

LOL

Secondly Rugby is way tougher than football, those wimps fall on the floor and roll when someone pushes them.

Pig Champion

First Post
LOL

Secondly Rugby is way tougher than football, those wimps fall on the floor and roll when someone pushes them.

Yeah, they do haha. But I've played all three sports and I've been spear tackled (basically picked up and dumped on your head) but I've never been in so much pain as when I was tackled in soccer with studs exposed.

So I guess it's all relative. ;)

Remove ads