RPG Evolution: My Goals for 2022

With a 28% success rate on my goals for last year, it’s time to recalibrate.

With a 28% success rate on my goals for last year, it’s time to recalibrate.

goals2022.png

Picture courtesy of Pixabay.

Paint More Miniatures​

I backed a lot of Reaper Bones Kickstarters and I’m still working through my backlog. As I paint them, I replace prepainted miniatures that are similar. This helps keep my inventory under control and gives me a goal to work toward.

There are two barriers to doing this. The first issue is something I'm a little ashamed to admit: I can't see as well as I used to. An eye doctor visit told me this is merely age and not something I can correct with surgery, so it means I need to use magnifying glasses to paint. This is probably for the best (I miss details without it), but it requires more prep than simply sitting down and painting.

The second issue is lighting. Daylight is by far the best lighting to paint by for me, but with the winter weather painting outside is often not practical. So the ideal painting schedule is when it's warm out, sunny out, and not during work hours. This makes Daylight Savings Time much more important and according to my calendar, begins on March 13.

Expand My Online Game​

My online D&D group runs pretty lean with five players, and that means if one can’t make it, the game plays very differently. If two players can’t make it the game is cancelled. I’ve mentioned before that breaking each adventure up by session allows for new players to join, and I’m expanding the group to six.

I've got six players lined up for my next game, 5E Quest: Clockwork Carillon so I'm looking forward to getting started. Because I use my games as playtests for what I publish, there's a lot of prework that goes into creating these adventures (tokens, maps, stats, etc.). I created it all myself, but that also means double the work since we're playing online: first, I write it in Word, then I translate it all into Roll20. The good news is that this makes publishing content easier later, but boy is it a lot of up front work!

To save time, I tend to run all the games in my world concurrently. Which is to say when I play D&D with my Boy Scouts, their adventures take place at or around the same time as the "main" adventure. Last time, the troop played an army of knights invading a haunted mansion in 5E Quest: Mastherik Manor, while my online group played through the adventure inside. It helps flesh out the game organically and sometimes interacts in surprising ways (I now know who will come to the rescue if the PCs get in trouble).

Get Ready for 5.5E​

The next edition of Dungeons & Dragons, 5.5E as I call it, is coming. As I revised my existing products on DriveThruRPG, I’m using the guidelines Wizards laid out at Sage Advice. For the most part, the changes aren't too onerous, but given that I've written monster books with hundreds of monsters in them, it's going to take some time to convert them.

Then there's the question of whether or not any of this matters to consumers (yet) and how to advertise it. Should I rename all my products 5.5E to indicate compatibility? Time will tell.

Run More Virtual Panels​

I’m Chair for the Committee for the Advancement of Role-Playing Games (CAR-PGA) and we run monthly virtual panels, interviewing someone of interest in the role-playing field. I hope to do more of that and achieve 100 subscribers on our YouTube channel so that we can create a shortlink.

This month we have Jim Wampler of Mudpuppy Games followed by Tim Hutchings, author of Thousand Year Old Vampire, in February. Looking forward to it!

Go to Conventions Again​

My entire family is now fully vaccinated as of last month, so I look forward to going to small, local conventions to start. But Omicron has other plans, so for the moment we're hunkering down and watching the numbers. Here's hoping things turn around in the next few months.

Your Turn: What are your goals for 2022?

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Retreater

Legend
There are gaming-related goals I'd like to reach, but dividing them between stuff I can't control and goals

Stuff I'd like to do, but can't control:
1) Scheduling more in-person games [have no idea if it will be safe, and the real life schedules of others are out of my control]
2) Attending an in-person convention [again, have no idea if it will be safe]

Stuff I'd like to do, and can control:
1) Organize my gaming collection; get rid of what I'm not using
2) Purchase less stuff, especially not giving into FOMO

Stuff I'd like to do, but with care to not make a bad decision to reach a 2022 goal:
1) Finish what I start (stick with campaigns/systems but not to the point of staying with something bad just to finish it)
2) Staying positive about gaming and fandoms (support friends and social media contacts in their love for the hobby)

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I don't really do new years goals, I do weekly reviews. But one theme that has emerged, something I've been working on, is to stop buying stuff I'm not going to use or at least read. I do hope I can wrap up my current campaign this year. When I only have time to run one campaign, multi-year campaigns prevent me from trying other settings and systems.

talien

Community Supporter
I don't really do new years goals, I do weekly reviews. But one theme that has emerged, something I've been working on, is to stop buying stuff I'm not going to use or at least read. I do hope I can wrap up my current campaign this year. When I only have time to run one campaign, multi-year campaigns prevent me from trying other settings and systems.
Yeah, that fits with my goal last year which was to do less Kickstarters. Or specifically, stop backing Kickstarters where by the time I get the end product, I will no longer want it.

I've also learned that putting natural breaks into play (by creating my own adventures, and then giving a pause so new characters can join and old characters can leave) makes for a much more pleasant experience both for the players and for me as a DM. I always prefer players "stick" with their characters through a campaign, but I'm discovering not everybody does, and by creating natural breaks it allows characters (and players!) to join/leave at certain times without being too disruptive to the game.

It also really helps to feel a sense of accomplishment when an adventure is finished. As busy parents, it took us a full year to finish one adventure (it was a big one, but still).

I'm not really a New Year's resolution sort of person either. However, tailen's post reminded me that I've got several goals that I've wanted to achieve for a while, but have made zero progress on because I haven't put any effort into working out how to actually achieve them.

So now I'm going to sit down and figure out what I can do to ensure I actually achieve them now. Even little things, like scheduling set times or days to do X will help me make some progress.

Ok, so my hobby related goals for this year are:
  • Paint at least 2 minis per week
  • One of the 2 minis per week to be painted in under 2 hours
  • Paint 3 Blood Bowl teams
  • Not 3D print more minis than I paint
  • Run at least 4 different RPGs
  • Read at least 1 book per month
  • Organise 3 hobby get-togethers with friends
  • Play 1 board game per fortnight with my family
  • Play at least 1 RPG session per month with my family
The first 4 goals are about painting more of my minis. Part of what is holding me back from painting is that when I paint I try and get every mini to be "perfect". The result of that is I end up spending more time reading about painting techniques and watching painting videos, to try and find the "perfect" way of painting instead of just painting and improving through experience.

So I think by forcing myself to paint 1 mini a week quickly (for me at least), it will help me log more hours with a brush in hand. It also aligns with my overarching goal for my life of "Progress, not perfection."

The next 2 goals are about expanding my horizons a little more. For the last few years I've only read fantasy novels and played D&D. There are other genres I'm interested in too and it's time I made an effort to look into them more.

The last 3 goals are about making an effort to catch up with family and friends more. I'm an introvert by nature, so I need to push myself to organise get-togethers with friends and spend more time playing games with my kids.

Now to map out a weekly schedule that puts in time to do these things so I give myself a good shot of achieving them. I'm a planner, so I think setting aside specific time for specific activities is the best way for me to ensure I do them.

Mercador

Adventurer
This, this sooo much. I don't even play so why the hell I purchase books that I don't even read... At the same time, I know that I'll get the Expansion Giftset at the end of the month. I just can't help it :(

pogre

Legend
I usually do create some hobby related goals, but not this year. I was extremely frustrated last year. I was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease and it has slowed my painting down quite a bit. The end product just is not great either. So this year I made the conscious decision not to do any hobby goals - just paint when I feel like it, write when I feel like it, and stop when it's not fun. I have done mostly terrain so far and I am OK with that.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads