D&D General My head exploded

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So are you going to edit the OP to remove the deadname?

If the information sources or products der_kluge is referring to don't update their names, Jennell loses credit if people don't at least occasionally make the connection. It sure looks to me like there's an attempt here to avoid erasure, which is important, so perhaps a little leeway is called for.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
If the information sources or products der_kluge is referring to don't update their names, Janelle loses credit if people don't at least occasionally make the connection. It sure looks to me like there's an attempt here to avoid erasure, which is important, so perhaps a little leeway is called for.
That's a good point which I had not previously considered.

_
glass.

The two of them together have quite the legendary body of work in tabletop and electronic gaming!

I passed on the recent Goodman Games Kickstarter, mostly because I already have a fair amount of the works included in it, but I'm hoping they release them piecemeal like the last Judges Guild one.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Jennell has made it pretty clear, at least in the past, that she prefers her prior works be attributed to "Jennell Jaquays" and not by her deadname, which is a fairly common request as far as trans folx that I have interacted with goes (it's how I feel as well, and I'm not nearly as violently opposed to the concept of my deadname as many of my peers are). I wish that conversation hadn't been erased (you can still see the comment that reminds the author her name is Jennell; what happened afterward is that Alexander replied with "my policy is to attribute the name at time of publication* unless I hear from her myself" at which point Jennell herself responded to say something to the effect "Yes, I am Jennell, I have always been Jennell, do not use my deadname". Alexander complied, edited the deadname out of every part of every article, including, interestingly enough, the reblog comments from years earlier).

*Once again, as a trans person let me say that is a terrible policy that is not in keeping with how the vast majority of the trans community feel about being referred to pre-transition.

I'm not going to police anyone on this forum because that's not really my job or my place, but I do feel like this is something more people should be more aware of. It's understandably a lot trickier when someone has transitioned (or come out, in any case) later in life, and especially when that person has had many cherished published works under their deadname prior to transitioning and/or coming out. But trust me when I say that the best policy is to assume that trans folx want to be known, primarily and only, by their real names, and not their deadnames, regardless of timeline. And again, I know for a fact that this has been Jennell's own stated preference.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I've been FB friends with her for a while, and yes, she is pretty awesome. Not only for her prior work, but all of her current hobbies, Rebecca's hobbies, and just their humanity in general. They aren't just interesting people, they are good people.

On a related topic, Netflix recently in the past month or so released a small series about video game history (High Score), and there is a bit on there about Rebecca. It was pretty nice to see how they addressed trans people in the gaming history in a respectful way.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Note that any confusion can be very easily cleared up without guilt or shame; as an example:

A: "I'm about to run Caverns of Thracia for my group."
B: "That's awesome! Paul Jacuays always wrote the best adventures."
A: "Actually, she transitioned a while back; she goes by Jennell now."
B: "I had no idea! Man, I always loved her work."

Fun fact: both Google and Wikipedia attribute her past works to Jennell Jacuays as well. So does the DMsGuild, though I've noted a few references like "(then, Paul Jacuays)" in there.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Note that any confusion can be very easily cleared up without guilt or shame; as an example:

Fun fact: both Google and Wikipedia attribute her past works to Jennell Jacuays as well. So does the DMsGuild, though I've noted a few references like "(then, Paul Jacuays)" in there.
1603908574870.png

Yes, it shouldn’t be any more difficult than adjusting to someone’s name changing after marriage.

Remove ads