• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My heroes: Ryan Dancey and Peter Adkison

The Little Raven

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
No True20. No Conan.

No Foundation. No World of Warcraft.

No more having 300 pages of a 320 page book being a direct reprint of someone else's work entirely, and charging a $50 cover price for 20 pages of actual new content. That is one aspect of the OGL I will definitely not miss.

BryonD

Hero
Mourn said:
No more having 300 pages of a 320 page book being a direct reprint of someone else's work entirely, and charging a $50 cover price for 20 pages of actual new content. That is one aspect of the OGL I will definitely not miss.
Nobody every told you not to judge a book by its cover?
I never saw this.
But I always checked books before I bought them.

Korgoth

First Post
RangerWickett said:
But why is there so much sudden disapproval of the new GSL?

"It's a trap!"
[/Ackbar]

Additionally, the OGL was a great boon for all gamers. Even the old school classics can be preserved under the OGL. It really helped to perpetuate the legacy products of this hobby. People will always have tons of good gaming available to them, most of it free. That alone makes the OGL a mitzvah.

ZSutherland

First Post
Guys,

I think Teflon Billy's point was not that it was a shame that there could be no "4E Mutants and Masterminds," per se, since they've already said they're not going to update anyway. It's that the GSL doesn't allow the creative room to make an innovative, elegant game like M&M that borrows heavily from a system that's immediately familiar to lots of gamers. It was easy, having taught someone to play D&D (or any d20-esque system), to teach them to play just about anything covered by OGL. That allowed really good game designers to write and publish products for a wider audience of gamers than D&D alone can draw while unifying it all together with a system nearly all of them are familiar with.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Hey, I thought this was a love-in! Go discuss minutae somewhere else!

I love the OGL with every part of my body including my pee-pee.

The OGL is a beautiful think. Like Megan Fox in a bikini.

Ryan Dancey and Peter Adkison have created hotness.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Buttercup said:
My point is that I now realize just how precious my html SRD is. I can legally burn copies for people who don't have a PHB. I can legally cut and paste from it to make my own player's handbook to distribute to my players. For free. If I want to publish my wacky house rules, I can do that pretty darn easily. Tonight, I finally understand just what Ryan and Peter gave us.
I'm reminded of the more eloquent posts in comp.os.linux.* way, way back when. :)

Freedom is a really good thing.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads