My homebrew Vermin Domain/Archetype

LogantheBard

First Post
I'm starting up a new campaign where the PC's are going to be intentionally non-good. They're going to be dungeon delvers and tomb robbers, set in a desert setting. As such, I've got one that wants to play a Cleric of [HTML=http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Aldinach]Aldinach[/HTML]. He's taking the Animal and Desert Domains. He asked me what I thought about creating a "Vermin" subdomain for Animal, seeing as Aldinach is all about scorpions, which none of the Animal abilities work well with, or either subdomain works with. Here's what I've come up with for a Vermin Domain/Archetype for him.

Granted Powers: You have the abilities to call vermin to your aid. In addition, you may treat Stealth as a class skill. When casting a spell with the Summoning descriptor, you may only summon Vermin or Swarms of Vermin. Summon Monster spells are not class spells for you. Summon Vermin** spells are class spells for you.

Powerful Vermin: When casting a spell with the Summoning descriptor to summon Vermin, you are considered to have the Augment Summoning feat. You may do this a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Wisdom modifier.

Spontaneous Summoning: You can channel stored spell energy into summoning spells that you haven't prepared ahead of time. You can “lose” a prepared spell in order to cast any summon vermin spell of the same level or lower.

This ability replaces your normal Spontaneous Casting.

Animal Companion (Ex): At 4th level, you gain the service of an animal companion, but must chose a vermin in this way. Your effective druid level for this animal companion is equal to your cleric level – 3. (Druids who take this ability through their nature bond class feature use their druid level – 3 to determine the abilities of their animal companions).

Domain Spells:
1-Web
2-Spider Climb
3-Vermin Shape I
4-Fleshworm Infestation
5-Insect Plague
6-Vermin Shapes (As Animal Shapes, for Vermin Shape III [Vermin Shape III (Diminuitive +6 Dex, -4 Str, +1 NA, or Huge +6 Str, -4 Dex, +6 NA)])
7-Creeping Doom
8-????
9-????

Seeing as Summon Nature's Ally only has vermin listed from levels 1-4, I instead created a new spell. Summon Vermin functions as Summon Nature's Ally, except you Summon a vermin with the specified number of hit dice (advancing size as appropriate)
1-1HD (Small)
2-2HD (Medium)
3-3HD
4-5HD
5-8HD (Large)
6-11HD
7-15HD (Huge)
8-19HD
9-23HD (Gargantuan)

Does this look remotely balanced? I feel like I created a lot of new spells/abilities, but I based them off existing spells. I don't know what to do for domain spells 8 and 9, there's not really anything for those levels that I thought I could port well into the vermin theme.

1Mac

First Post
Seems good to me! The Spontaneous Summoning power is a fine substitute, and the Domain powers look good. The Augmented Summoning is the only thing that gives me pause, but I think it should be fine, given its relatively limited uses and applications.

I'm not familiar enough with Pathfinder spells to fill out the other domain slots. I'm surprised Summon Swarm isn't on the list, though.

One last resort for filling out the domain spells would be to use your Summon Vermin spells, then recommend using spontaneous domain casting. I like the idea of the Vermin priest summoning swarms of regular-sized bugs rather than a handful of larger ones, and this would aid that (though I suppose your Summon Vermin would also let you summon swarms).

Remove ads