• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My homemade high gorgon mini

Tewligan

First Post
Okay, I finally got this guy from the Creature Collection sculpted up and painted to the "ehh, good 'nuff" level. If you don't have the book, the high gorgon is a human-looking monster - except for the part where his torso splits open from crotch to breastbone, revealing the mass of snakes inside his gut. The pic isn't great, but lessee if I can get it posted here...

Attachments

• pb030002.jpg
    pb030002.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 332

KnowTheToe

First Post
Cool mini. I love the home made figs. I just wish I had the skill.

For closeup camera focus you need to use a tripod or something similar. Even the slightest movement will screw up your shot. Turn off your flash as well. I am no good with special lighting, but there are others that can help with that.

Drakmar

Explorer
cool. I will have to gain access to a camera with a tripod. And yeah.. I have found that shots without a flash turn out better...but only if you have sufficient lighting. I am still trying to get a pic of my h/orc monk.

Tewligan

First Post
KnowTheToe said:
Cool mini. I love the home made figs. I just wish I had the skill.

For closeup camera focus you need to use a tripod or something similar. Even the slightest movement will screw up your shot. Turn off your flash as well. I am no good with special lighting, but there are others that can help with that.
Thanks, Toe. Yeah, I took a few pictures both with and without the flash - the pictures without the flash looked better color-wise, but they were a lot blurrier. Although, now that I think about it, I was holding the camera during the first few shots rather than resting it on the tabletop like I did with the later flash shots. I may try again - the actual figure isn't nearly as white as the picture suggests.

Oh, and as for not having skills, give it a try, you might be surprised. This is my first try at it - although it's CERTAINLY not going to be confused for something you'd buy in a blister pack, I had fun with it and I'm pretty pleased with the results. Plus, the one I'm working on now is showing definite improvement over this one. C'mon, give it a try and show us what you come up with.

Gospog

First Post
Wow! That is totally cool!

This is totally inspiring! Tewligan, I hope you don't mind if I take a crack at sculpting my own?

I've been looking for inspiration for my next sculpting project.

Again, great job!

Tewligan

First Post
Drakmar said:
One of the things that I have found that makes it easier is if you get some Reaper Basic Armatures. if you look in the post I started you can see where I am upto with a monk.
Yeah, I've seen the Reaper armatures. On my high gorgon and the mini I'm working on at the moment, though, I used homemade armatures. I made them by twisting a piece of steel wire. The twisted part supports the torso, and the two ends branch away to form the legs. Once I have the torso sculpted, I drill holes at the shoulders to take a length of wire for the arms. I had to pitch a few before I got the proportions right, but I'm trying to get the knack of proportion and musculature - I figure once I get that down pat, it can only help my sculpting skills. I've gotta admit, though, those Reaper armatures look pretty damn handy...must be strong...

Oh, and I took a look at your monk - nice! I like the facial detail a lot. One suggestion I might give for future projects is the addition of more folds and wrinkles in clothing (pants, etc.) - the pants just seemed a bit smoother in the photo than I would imagine them to be. Anyway, that's my two cents worth. I'm looking forward to seeing the next one.

Drakmar

Explorer
yeah.. the h/orc monks pants are a bit balloonish.. it is mainly because I am still working out the medium (green stuff). That is one thing I am looking into a lot with the White Crane monk.

Tewligan

First Post
Yeah, I can already tell from your pic that the White Crane guy's pants are more pants-like as far as draping and such goes. Oh, and I don't know if you've found this out, but the putty's easier to work with if you let it sit for about 5 minutes or a little longer after you combine the two parts before you start working it. It starts to cure a little, and it gets better about holding its shape and not sticking to your fingers/tools as much.

Last edited:

Remove ads