D&D 5E My idea for skill system

Stormonu

Legend
This somewhat reminds me of 2E's NWP slot system. Most profiencies cost 1 slot, but certain NWP's could cost 2 or more if the designers thought them to be particularly useful.

I also liked 2E's system as it was, in theory, infinitely expandable. If you felt there was a gap in available skills, you could simply add a NWP to cover it. The only issue crept in if you got too specific - you could make PCs accidently inept by taking away what had been an innate skill (like say, read/write).

Stormonu

Legend
An additional thought:

You could break the skills into broad and narrow categories; broad cost more, cover more areas, but grant a lesser bonus (say +1 or +2). A narrow skill, of course, covers a more limited use, but grants a higher bonus (say +2 or +4) and costs less.

Consume Alchohol and Use Rope seem great versions of a Narrow skill that cost 1, have very limited use and would give a better bonus. In contrast, Survival would be a broad skill and you might be able to coax using rope or consume alchohol out of it, but you'd get a lower bonus to your check overall. I'd probably not allow the two bonuses to stack if they overlap, just use the better bonus.

This way, a Group could decide to just go with the broad skills - they'd cover most situations and characters would be generally skilled and able to do most things to some degree (sort of 4Eish). Other groups might use a mix of broad and narrow, allowing some specialization (2Eish). "Hard-core" groups might only use the narrow skills - you don't know it, you can't do it (more 3Eish).

Derren

Hero
Yeah, I know. To be honest, I didn't really know what to give them. But since I'm switching to only two tiers, I'll look into it as well.

Considering that monks generally were expert brewers (Beer is filling when brewed right and as a drink didn't violate fasting) I don't see anything wrong with that.

Szatany

First Post
Considering that monks generally were expert brewers (Beer is filling when brewed right and as a drink didn't violate fasting) I don't see anything wrong with that.

But priest is not a monk. Priests serve as guides to local communities, while monks separate themselves from the outside world.

Madmage

First Post
Personally, I disliked the concept in 4E that all your skills rose based on your level regardless if they were used or not. For example, say someone with swim skill that never actually swam for 5-6 levels is automatically better than someone a few levels lower that constantly practices.

On the other hand, 2E was way too restrictive in the benefit of improving a single NWP vs taking a new NWP altogether. I'd like to see a middle ground where at each level a character earns a certain number of skill points and could choose to improve a skill at either a 1 to +1 ratio or something along those lines or could spend a certain number of skill points to outright purchase a skill/NWP at a base score.

For example: character earns 4 skill points per level, they could either increase 4 skills they currently have by +1 or a +2 (assuming maxed out stats), or for 3-4 skill points buy a new skill with a base bonus and choose to increase it later as they further progress.

Szatany

First Post
You could break the skills into broad and narrow categories; broad cost more, cover more areas, but grant a lesser bonus (say +1 or +2). A narrow skill, of course, covers a more limited use, but grants a higher bonus (say +2 or +4) and costs less.
I will not use this idea because I want to keep things as simple as possible. This would be perfect for a rules module though.

Remove ads