• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

my new campaign: the Western Shore

EricNoah

Adventurer
I've been putting together a very "lite" homebrew setting for my next campaign. I've stolen names and ideas from many sources, and it is intended to be a simple backdrop against which I will be running lots of published adventures (Dungeon Crawl Classics, stuff from Dungeon Mag, maybe bits of Tomb of Abysthor). You can take a look at the campaign materials here. http://webpages.charter.net/ericnoah/noahrpg/westernshore/index.htm

I'm going for a slightly retro feel and will be trying to re-train myself as DM in a few areas. I want the players leading the story a bit more, and thus I plan on scattering a lot of rumors that could lead to a lot of adventures, and let their interests direct them. Not all of the rumors will lead to a full-blown adventure, and some will lead to things that are too dangerous for them. They'll have to learn to run away if necessary. I also want to slow down the pace a bit -- I tend to gloss over description. I want to make my NPCs talk more -- ask questions that lead to discusson and roleplaying. Also I intend to let dead PCs stay dead -- I've warned the players not to get too attached to their characters.

I have created (and will be adding to) a spreadsheet with lots of adventure choices, sorted by level. I still need to go through many Dungeon mags and add some. See attachment.

I was thinking of sticking B1: In Search of the Unknown in there somewhere as a "random dungeon" -- problem with that module, of course, is there are no placed monster/NPC encounters. Anyone have a good idea of what should live there? Maybe a boss, some themed encounters, etc.? Pitch me some ideas if you have any.

Attachments

• Adventure guide.xls
    23 KB · Views: 134

EricNoah

Adventurer
Oh by the way, anyone who needs a bunch of inter-related/intermarried noble houses complete with names of NPCs should take a look at this site: http://www.westeros.org/BoD/Houses/

It's a resource site for a MUSH based on A Song of Ice and Fire, set 140 years pior to the events of the books. I found it to be very helpful -- I picked out about five houses, changed some names and some relationships, and now I have five big families from which to draw NPC names should the PCs encounter any of the setting's nobility.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
EricNoah said:
I was thinking of sticking B1: In Search of the Unknown in there somewhere as a "random dungeon"
For me, this will always be the quintessential dungeon. I read it before I ever had any idea what the heck D&D was, and it grabbed my imagination like little else.

Sounds like a fun game!

Quasqueton

First Post
EricNoah said:
I was thinking of sticking B1: In Search of the Unknown in there somewhere as a "random dungeon" -- problem with that module, of course, is there are no placed monster/NPC encounters. Anyone have a good idea of what should live there? Maybe a boss, some themed encounters, etc.? Pitch me some ideas if you have any.
I definitely should be one to speak up on this adventure. The monsters (and treasures) are all listed in the back of the module; you just have to place them in the rooms as you deem appropriate. The general theme seemed to be that the former slaves (orcs) armed themselves and squatted in the dungeon once Zelligar and Roghan failed to return from their last adventure. Some of the original defenders of the place went mad and became berserkers. Then other critters (kobolds and troglodytes) “invaded” a bit and took up residence themselves.

One of the major traits of Quasqueton seemed to be that it didn’t have a real, unified, organized defense – it was just a collection of varied monsters, all trying to survive. This is part of what makes it good for a low-level party – the orcs in room Y won’t come to the aid of the kobolds in room X, and the berserkers in room Z won’t be drawn to the sounds of combat in the halls outside their room. The party probably won’t be overwhelmed by monsters acting in concert to defend the dungeon – it’s a free-for-all.

It is not a real sensical or logical dungeon, and the adventurers exploring it aren’t really expected to have any driving reason other than exploration for the sake of exploration.

Quasqueton

diaglo

Adventurer
EricNoah said:

still my all time favorite published module.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'd actually make Q be a key part in whatever rumors the party is chasing down. If they're interested in finding the lieutenant of Dread Lord Footitch, that's where he is. If they want to find the key to unlock the Tomb of Droolsleep, it's in Q.

Layer on the orc slave thing atop that, and you suddenly have this (nonsensical) dungeon that looks like you designed it to fit into the storyline the players themselves created.

Oh, and the Western Shore is an incredibly evocative name for a setting. Kudos on that.

EricNoah

Adventurer
I'm hearing "orcs" and "use it to plant a clue for another adventure." Good ideas, both.

Orcs: the ruin could be a redoubt for a group of wandering orcs from the Tomb of Abysthor dungeon. Maybe led by a Black Orc (Bard's Gate). Clues among these guys at Quasqueton could lead to the defiled shrines near the entrance to ToA.

Clues: I'm also planning on running Dungeon of the Fire Opal, Jonathan Tweet's Dungeon adventure set in the dungeon from the original and 3.0 DMG. A clue there could lead to Q; or the search for the location of Dungeon of the Fire Opal could require them to visit Q to find clues, a map, a journal of one of the Opal Fist monks.

Oh, and I might run it "backwards" -- make the secret entrance on the lower level the entrance the PCs can find, and have the area 1 entrance caved in or something.

edit: Ah dcollins you magnificent bastard, your conversion notes will be mighty helpful! :)

http://www.enworld.org/downloads/download.php?id=326

Last edited:

EricNoah said:
I plan on scattering a lot of rumors that could lead to a lot of adventures
I have used this before with limited success. Er, not so limited that I would dissuade you from using it; just limited in that the particular players in my particular campaign seemed to prefer hopping on the railroad car to exploring the wilderness. So to speak.

If you (or anyone else) want to borrow any of my ideas, they are here. A lot of these I adapted from the Lone Wolf adventure gamebook by Joe Dever, BTW. But you can surely tweak them to your campaign.

I'll post more later when I have time. I have a lot to say about this concept.

Last edited:

EricNoah

Adventurer
Joshua Randall said:
I have used this before with limited success. Er, not so limited that I would dissuade you from using it; just limited in that the particular players in my particular campaign seemed to prefer hopping on the railroad car to exploring the wilderness. So to speak.

Oh don't I know it. That's a habit I want to break in a few of my players as well as myself.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out!

Gold Roger

First Post
I really like your approach (propably because it's the same I'll use on my next campaign-based around Keep at the Borderlands, Against the Slavers, Temple of Elemental Evil, Castle Amber and Of Sound Mind).

What you've put together seems quite sound, sadly I don't have much to contribute.

I guess all the modules I plan on using would be worth a thought for you as well.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads