• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

my new campaign: the Western Shore

The_Warlock

Explorer
Sounds like a very entertaining set-up and design. It also sounds like a campaign style that would be well served by the old "Side-Treks" in older dungeon magazines - things you can plop in whenever the party is traveling from here to there and comes across something...odd.

Pbartender said:
On several occasions, my players found themselves in situations were they in way over their heads, and were forced to come up with unusual tactics to survive and win.

mhensley said:
Wouldn't this be a good thing?

From direct experience...not always. Players can get frustrated if they frequently have to think "off the sheet" (rather similar to "out of the box"). Yes it can be fun, yes it is a challenge, but if it happens too often, especially in a row, some players can see it as - "I'm succeeding and surviving NOT because I'm good at what I do, but because I did something so incredulously unlikely that no opponent could've seen it coming, and I nearly died in the process." Whether their characters were actually that close to death or not, it can be perceived that way. This can also cause a perspective that that type of luck is going to run out.

Having had a party that was higher in their levels, but on more than one occasion taking on things that they hadn't reconnoitered effectively regarding power and resources, or sometimes taking on things simply bigger and tougher than them without thinking through the possibilities, they were quite frequently coming up against creatures that rendered their 15th level awesomeness somewhat inadequate. And every time they won by pulling off a series of creative, impressive, improbable tactics after gettting lambasted early on. While I saw them as succeeding in the face of amazing advesity and that they should proud and amazed, the players felt they were simply getting overwhelmed and countered - which wasn't my intent, but I also wasn't pulling punches on the more static world encounters that were more powerful. So, it led to a group of adventurers who wanted to hide in a hole.

So, while such encounters can be a LOT of fun, depending on your player's personalities and play styles, it's better to use them sparingly so that they generate those great gamer stories everyone talks about for years, rather than frustrating your players with seemingly frequent level-inappropriate encounters that make them think that their characters should take up farming - since voles and ground moles are easy villains to counter in their new, pastoral life.

Back to the thread at hand...good luck with this campaign, sounds great.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
If you're going with the minotaur, and some orcs ... why not throw in some linkes to Keep on the Borderlands? With all those humanoid tribes ... lots of possibilities for intersecting story lines.

Ummm... *sheepish look* ... because I hate that module. Blech. I'm not sure why. :heh:

Voadam

Legend
EricNoah said:
A lot of the action at levels 1-4 or so is going to take place in a fairly small portion of that map, actually, but you bring up a good point. What I really need is a bag of tricks to pull from when the PCs are en route, because as you point out that's going to happen a lot. If they start in Dundraville and then decide to follow up on the rumor that leads them to Wildsgate, I not only need to be ready to run Into the Wilds, I need to have some interesting stuff to do along the way. So I will want to work on some encounter menus and some special encounters, as well as scour my published materials for good side-trek adventures.

Good thoughts, keep 'em coming!

En Route by Atlas Games. Interesting short encounters for travel time. Covers a wide range of ELs. I recommend it. It is 3.0 but I don't consider that a big drawback.

There is also En Route II & III.

EricNoah

Adventurer
The_One_Warlock said:
Awww...but it's a classic...it just needs a little...um....a Lot of...um...

It's got a great map! (chuckle)

Actually I may be running a very Keep on the Borderlands DCC -- Into the Wilds. So some of that flavor will seep in regardless. :)

The_Warlock

Explorer
Also from previous editions, but it has a lot of different takes on things, is the old REF4 Lords of Darkness, which, while it does have a lot of tie-ins to the Forgotten Realms, has a lot of undead goodness, all in bite-sized chunks and could easily be used as a variety of plot hooks and drop-ins.

Depends on how much undead you really want to have. Though the mind-controlled "living zombies" adventure is a great starter for a bigger "puppetmasters" kind of over-plot.

Pbartender said:
My second map, which I made for the home-brew campaign my wife ran last year, before she started RHoD.

This is the atlas for my current Iron Heroes campaign, beginning with the Dark Harbor and Blood Storm adventure modules... I'm especially fond of how the "wood-cut" maps turned out, but might retrofit them a bit, since I learned a new trick or two since.

This is the map I'd submitted for the recent War of the Burning Sky map contest.

This is a player's map for a 1920's-1930's Pulp Adventure D20 Modern Play by Post version of Isle of Dread. I'd found the base map -- the woodgrain background, parchment paper and island outline -- during a google search, and filled in the mountains, jungle, swamps, and labeling.

Very nice collection of maps. I had a question for you but rather than hijack the thread any further, I sent you an e-mail to the address you have listed in your ENWorld profile.

Pbartender

First Post
mhensley said:
Wouldn't this be a good thing?

Usually, yes... But not always.

Warlock already mention much of the problem, but in addition to that...

If the players fail to come up with that ingeneous plan to defeat the enemy, the encounter can quickly turn in to an inadvertant wholesale slaughter of the PCs. That can happen for any number of reasons -- they simply can't think of a good plan... they don't realize it's a very difficult encounter and treat it as usual... they know it's a very difficult encounter, but trust the DM to pull his punches... they're stuck on the usual D&D hack-n-slash paradigm and don't bother to consider alternatives until its too late...

So, if the DM hasn't taken that into account, and the PCs aren't properly warned or prepared for the encounter, it can turn into a very messy situation both in and out of game.

And that's a bad thing.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads