• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My player is squishing everything.

King-Panda

First Post
Well that seals the deal. I could have sworn I read somewhere you couldn't teleport into empty space, but I had no idea where.

In response to 2, What I meant by him jumping onto someone was from a ledge or something similar, equal to the height of the enemy (with the enemy horizontally close to the ledge), or higher than the enemy (with the enemy possibly farther out). It wouldn't require much of a jump check to only move 5-10 horizontal feet down onto someone.
As Danny pointed out, he weighs over 4k altogether, but his gear is just over 2000 lbs, within his 2800 lift of ground limit. He could still move 5 feet a round with no dex bonus, I believe.

green slime

First Post
1) I believe you have to teleport onto something capable of bearing your own weight.

2) Falling from a height, I'd require a to hit roll, with a non-proficient weapon, with a -2 penalty for every 10 ft range.

3) He suffers the same amount of damage, DR not withstanding.

Sitara

Explorer
Whatever he attempts to land on should get a reflex save to avoid damage. Put him upo against high ref opponents.

Put him up against incorporeal creatures.

eamon

Explorer
Jack Simth said:
1) He can't teleport above something - the school of conjuration forbids it (mostly - technically it only applying to things brought to you).

He can't summon or transport another object to his location in mid-air. I interpret this to only mean non-worm objects, or summoned or called creatures - not those you take with you.

The rules clearly forbid teleporting/transporting something else to your location without a surface to support it. The rules aren't so clear on taking things with you. I'd allow you to take even other creatures with you, unsupported.

In any case, what's a surface capable of supporting the object? Can you summon a fish in the middle of the ocean (I'd say yes, obviously)? Can you summon a bird into mid-air (yes, I think)? Can you summon a Rhino mid-air (no)?

A ridiculously Extreme interpretation would require that all of your worn objects are teleported onto a surface capable of supporting them - i.e. you can't hold your sword in hand, since that's not a surface in the target area before you cast the spell. That interpretation would be a funny house-rule for some campaign (terminator style travel!), but is clearly not intended. Since teleport and dimension door only affect willing creatures, you're not in trouble allowing this except if you allow such falling damage misuse.

Consider also that dimension door explicitly allows you to go "anywhere" and provides rules for what happens when you teleport into solid matter - clearly that's not "an open location on a surface capable of supporting it" - so apparently dimension door isn't affected by that rule necessarily; it's own rule text overrules it.

Darkwolf71

First Post
eamon said:
Consider also that dimension door explicitly allows you to go "anywhere" and provides rules for what happens when you teleport into solid matter - clearly that's not "an open location on a surface capable of supporting it" - so apparently dimension door isn't affected by that rule necessarily; it's own rule text overrules it.
D-door isn't the spell in question.

irdeggman

First Post
King-Panda said:
irdeggman: With a combat round equaling 6 seconds or so, about half that (one would think) is your move action. Although using his boots is a move action, I think of teleportational travel as instant. I therefore assumed he would fall on his turn.

The entire round is 6 seconds - not any one individual's part of it. Breaking actions into specific "time increments" only leads to further complications in an already (and desinged that way) vague system for comabat.

I'm really not sure what to think about your moving rule. I don't quite get it either, which doesn't help much. You say "all of your movement is resolved on your turn in the initiative order". Well, he teleports instantly, and then "moves (read: falls) on "his turn" on his "initiative", correct? His turn is on whatever Init. count he rolled for his Init. roll, so it would make sense he would fall on his turn. I think. If you don't mind, is there another way you can explain that?

At what point in a turn do you resolve a character's movement?

By the rules it is all resolved at his point in the initiative round and is not a continuous thing. For example you do not run across the field a square at a time broken down by the duration of the round - you run and move the entire distance on your turn.

That is what I was alluding to and using that as a parallel for when to resolve "falling".

He teleported (using a standard action - the item specifies it is a standard action to activate by the way).

Does he have a move action left?

Has he "moved"?

Oh wait he "can't" move due to weight - so no moment (of his own) could be applied to his movement at all.

The real reason I opt to resolve all of a character's movement on his turn (other than that is pretty much how the rules are laid out) os because of the pit trap, feather fall issue.

Surprise round - trap is activated and the character is over an open hole.

First round - character starts to fall on his initiative (and is no longer flat-footed so he can cast feather fall to avoid the falling damage.

Otherwise a character will always fall in a pit trap and take damage becasue he is flat footed and can't cast an immediate action spell.

My way is consistent with the "other" rules regarding resolving movement so I feel comfortable with it.

Last edited:

Elethiomel

First Post
Also, note that a Large version of an item isn't simply that same item multiplied in all directions. As you can see from your Enlarge example, that would make armour for large creatures prohibitively heavy. Do not multiply the weight of all gear by 8: rather have the player check all the appropriate item tables to see what a Large version of his gear weighs.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I suggest you let him try this technique onto an enemy standing on ice. He hits, they both go through, and now he's underwater and suffering cold damage while trying not to drown. It'll make the encounter more exciting!

irdeggman

First Post
Elethiomel said:
Also, note that a Large version of an item isn't simply that same item multiplied in all directions. As you can see from your Enlarge example, that would make armour for large creatures prohibitively heavy. Do not multiply the weight of all gear by 8: rather have the player check all the appropriate item tables to see what a Large version of his gear weighs.

Right - I was wondering about that x8 formula myself.

From the SRD (for weapons and armor):

Weight: This column gives the weight of a Medium version of the weapon. Halve this number for Small weapons and double it for Large weapons.

Weight: This column gives the weight of the armor sized for a Medium wearer. Armor fitted for Small characters weighs half as much, and armor for Large characters weighs twice as much.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads