my players told me what they want in a rpg for the next campaign

B1okHead

Explorer
My personal favorite F20 game is Hackmaster 5e. It may or may not be what you're looking for as it's pretty dense, but in my opinion it's one of the best higher crunch game systems out there.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I am bringing my Fantasy AGE campaign to a close and my players told me the features they were looking for in the next game.

1) Mages are fun and do not follow the Clod to God D&D model where they start out useless and weak and along the way suddenly become the most powerful class on the board.

2) Fighters and Rogues have more to do in combat than just roll for hit and damage. My players are looking for a game where the non casters have combat abilities that make for interesting game play.

3) The game uses regular dice, no gimmicks like cards or whatever.

Does anyone know of a game like this?
GURPS

dbm

Savage!
Lots of recommendations for GURPS / GURPS Dungeon Fantasy and I came to recommend the same.

GURPS gives lots of option to ’regular’ characters in combat. We are about 60 hours into a Dungeon Fantasy campaign and have a party with a swashbuckler, martial artist, knight, wizards and cleric. The swashbuckler probably has the most options in combat due to her high levels of combat skill. Rapid strikes, deceptive strikes, called shots. And that’s after the high level decisions around combining moving and attacking to get into an advantageous position. GURPS generally doesn’t put ’realistic’ options behind a ‘feat lock’ so anyone can try disarms, trips and so on. It just makes skill count so that, to do these things reliably, you need to be highly capable.

The common wisdom in GURPS is that a ‘fighter’ has more strategic options in combat that a ‘wizard’ as GURPS magic spells (using the default magic system - others are available) are smaller and more specific than DnD spells, but wizards typically know more of them and casting is based on fatigue rather than spell slots and there is no memorisation so you have your full repertoire available to you when you need to pick a spell to cast. In GURPS, magic isn’t really about dishing lots of damage, at least it isn’t about dishing out more than a skilled warrior can. Our Wizard can build up to a 4d6 fire blast which is pretty impressive but costs a couple of fatigue points every second it is use, so they can only sustain this for a few attacks. By contrast our knight does 2d6+8 Cutting damage when using his bastard sword two-handed (and that type of damage is multiplied by 1.5 once it gets through armour in most instances). He can keep that up every round, can attempt a wider range of combat manoeuvres due to his higher skill, and is just simply more likely to hit in combat. But: the mage can fly, turn invisible, glue enemies to the spot, lift donkeys up a cliff face (this was important in the last session!) so it all balances out to a greater or lesser extent.

GURPS in general and GURPS DF specifically are a different type of fantasy game than DnD, with different strengths and a different flavour. It could be what you are looking for and whilst there is, of course, a learning curve our experience is that this isn’t huge and the DF box set in particular is well written to take a group new to GURPS through all the details open to you.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
By contrast our knight does 2d6+8 Cutting damage when using his bastard sword two-handed (and that type of damage is multiplied by 1.5 once it gets through armour in most instances). He can keep that up every round, can attempt a wider range of combat manoeuvres due to his higher skill, and is just simply more likely to hit in combat.

BUT. Knights attacks can be dodged, blocked and parried and each needs to bypass DR (although average of 17 will cut down even another knight in full plate).

Spells are generally resisted by an attribute (equivalent to saving throw) which are contested by a spell skill of the wizard. Imagine if you need to save you need to beat wizards intelligence check...with your intelligence/will/whatever is called for

dbm

Savage!
For sure, that was what I was meaning when I said it isn’t really about dishing damage. It’s more about buffs, de-buffs and creative stuff.

Remove ads