D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Yeah, me too. I never understood the appeal. Unlike halflings, they're not even cute!

To you. And to me*. But I can assure you emulating Tolkien is a feature, not a bug to many people.

(*I love Tolkien, I'm bored with humdrum Tolkien pastiches though. Been there, done that.)

Seriously, what's this obsession with FR? To be incredibly charitable it is a mediocre generic fantasy setting whose defining feature is that it's a kitchen sink of fantasy tropes. Saying that some random trope has no place in FR is just silly. Halflings are a common fantasy trope, of course they belong to FR!
it is for some reason the base setting and we thus half to deal with it.
Yeah, me too. I never understood the appeal. Unlike halflings, they're not even cute!

To you. And to me*. But I can assure you emulating Tolkien is a feature, not a bug to many people.

(*I love Tolkien, I'm bored with humdrum Tolkien pastiches though. Been there, done that.)

Seriously, what's this obsession with FR? To be incredibly charitable it is a mediocre generic fantasy setting whose defining feature is that it's a kitchen sink of fantasy tropes. Saying that some random trope has no place in FR is just silly. Halflings are a common fantasy trope, of course they belong to FR!
I like bits of dwarf but that is liveing in a giant underground fortress as that has a classic appeal to me.
Hey, I prefer having Lizardman and Snake people, but I would not put them in a core book either, but a S&S supplement. What I want is a basic set (or book) like the free 5e set on the website (if it has not been updated) and the modular theme books that can be used as add-ons or standalones.
then what do you want as core?

Greg K

Legend
then what do you want as core?
For me, the core races and classes are those in the free 5e starter set on the website (if it has not since been updated): Dwarf, Elf, Halfling,Human, Cleric, Fighter, Rogue, Wizard are core D&D (even my preference is to replace rework the cleric and replace the Wizard with another arcane spellcaster and add gnome (ok, maybe add the gnome to the list))

Last edited:

Mercurius

Legend
If they saw the 3E selection of races, I can assure you that's exactly what they'd say.
How so? What's wrong with 3E races, from the perspective of a younger player?
Tieflings and Dragonborn probably save matters, but it's unhelpful to have halflings and not, say, kobolds.
I kind of see D&D races as coming in two waves: the first being the traditional Tolkien and mythology inspired, the second being derived more from media like video games and anime, as well as books that are influenced by such media. The transitional periods seems to be 3.5, and becoming more solidified with 4E (with dragonborn and tieflings in the PHB). Anyhow, I would think that the halfling/kobold preference divide would have something to do with these two waves. This is not to say that all older players prefer halflings and all younger players prefer kobolds, but rather that tastes are developed by influences.

Speaking for myself, I never got into video games (except for the occasional app or game of tetris) - I generally don't like them. Similarly to anime, and a lot of "geek culture" media. My taste influences are more from books and mythology, so tend to prefer the first wave races and dislike the more recent stuff, (with a few exceptions: I like aasimar/deva and genasi, for instance).

As discussed above, I also think in terms of "thematic tones" vs. "full color palette/anything goes," and generally prefer the former - although can enjoy the latter, if done well. By way of example, I would contrast Talislanta and the Forgotten Realms. Talislanta has dozens of races, but somehow it all makes sense - the setting was designed with that in mind, so it feels organic. The FR, on the other hand, seems to want to be too many things at once: both a classic D&D world, but also an anything goes gonzo affair. I still like the Realms and it works fine from a purely gaming perspective, but it doesn't have the same cohesive aesthetic that I appreciate from a worldbuilding perspective.

Yaarel

He Mage
Heh. Even tho the D&D Elf is kinda Human, it still has the glamor of being a superhuman − a magical supermodel who can handle a sword.

In this sense, the Elf brings something salient to the foreground of the setting, and it is probably why the Elf still enjoys popularity as a lineage.

Mercurius

Legend
Truly vile. Also kind of somehow incredibly insulting to make something so British, Swedish.
Maybe I missed something, but why is that "truly vile?" I personally don't like the idea and think it is kind of silly (I think that's intentional), but don't see why it is "vile" - which is a very strong word.

I also don't see how it is "incredibly insulting," especially considering that D&D halflings aren't inherently British because they're not Tolkienian Hobbits. D&D halflings can be any number of things, and have been depicted as such.

Heh. Even tho the D&D Elf is kinda Human, it still has the glamor of being a superhuman − a magical supermodel who can handle a sword.
Eh. Humans can be supermodels and can handle swords and in a fantasy world they can also be magic.

In this sense, the Elf brings something salient to the foreground of the setting, and it is probably why the Elf still enjoys popularity as a lineage.
Basic fantasy elves are pretty meh. Like I get it, I want to play pretty characters too, but elves really don't have much going for them. If they wouldn't exists people could just play humans or whatever who are pretty.

Most interesting thing about elves is their long lifespan, but that's actually just awkward in your normal D&D. Either the starting level one character is super old and it is weird that they're still level one, or they're not and the campaign will not take so much in game time that their long lifespan would matter. It would be an interesting thing to explore in a story, but doesn't really work so well in a game like D&D.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases