D&D General My Problem(s) With Halflings, and How To Create Engaging/Interesting Fantasy Races

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I don’t know what nation you are from. But you seem to have alot of hate for the military or at least a condescending snotty snobbish attitude towards them. But in America. The vast majority of us enlisted out of love for our country, belief in liberty, and our constitution.
snobbish no pessimistic depressed how they break people into a form but never seek to really fix them plus I am in the UK ideas are dead as dodos where I have situated no idea about the rest of the nation.
I have no dislike of military personal in general, but I know all nations are rotten, that liberty is a far more complex topic than people think and dying for a piece of paper is utterly mad but I resect those who would fight for their ideals.
A difference without any meaning whatsoever.
the truest statement in this thread, halfling were made to be hobbits.

These are all personality traits. Supposedly you play halflings because they are the only way to expeirence these traits. My response to Steeldragon was... no. Any race can have these traits, saying that being against halflings is being against these traits is wrong, because these traits extend beyond halflings.

You then laughed at me, rolled your eyes at me, and procceeded to tell me I am wrong, because I'm not reading the posts?
That's because the claim that's the only way to experience those traits was entirely and completely a strawman you invented. And that you are doubling down on this strawman right here is the main reason I think you are posting in good faith. No one would post that obvious and embarrassing a strawman if they weren't serious.

There's a vast difference between emphasising something and something being the only way to experience something. Which is why I've been using the "turn up to 11" metaphor.
The fact that you are getting pissed off might be making it hard for you to see that no malice was intended.
The way you keep posting strawmen and denying the experience of others and the advice of others in favour of your really really boring take on halflings is making it hard to care. You may have a heart of gold, but so does a hard boiled egg.
Above you just said no. That doesn't tell me anything.
And when we tell you things you just say you've never seen them.
Between humans and gnomes, halflings don't feel like they have any ground left to them. And I feel like gnomes have the stronger identity to build off of for the future.
As I have pointed out halfings are the more popular race of the two and the thematics of gnomes are frequently self defeating. If one of the two goes it's the gnomes that belong on the chopping block. Halflings can thematically do just about anything their less popular cousins with a more messed up identity can - but gnomes lack the expectation of being over matched and can only reinforce about half the Halfling traits.
And how do you know that? You seem very secure in your knowledge that the problem is that I'm ignoring things, yet all you do is tell me to read it again. How many times should I reread the materials I have until you are satisfied that I'm actually reading them and not just dismissing them? Until I agree with you?
Until you stop starting with blatant strawmen?
That's the disconnect. Genetically they are the same, but culturally they seem to be incredibly different.
This is a problem? Variation and nuance - while playing up the Halfling fragility by putting them side by side with dinosaurs.

You complain halfings are too one note then complain when anything is said that doesn't fit your cookie cutter view of halflings
Heck, it even states in the halfling description in the book that the halflings that spread across Khorvaire ended up looking and acting like humans "but their cousins in the Talenta plains couldn't be more different".
And drow are different to wood elves.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
No idea who sandyman is at all.
Ted Sandyman is the miller in Hobbiton, thoroughly insular and small-minded. He later collaborates with Sharkey's men when they take over the Shire.

Sithlord

Adventurer
snobbish no pessimistic depressed how they break people into a form but never seek to really fix them plus I am in the UK ideas are dead as dodos where I have situated no idea about the rest of the nation.
I have no dislike of military personal in general, but I know all nations are rotten, that liberty is a far more complex topic than people think and dying for a piece of paper is utterly mad but I resect those who would fight for their ideals.

the truest statement in this thread, halfling were made to be hobbits.
Hope you enjoy where you are at and never come to my country. Best luck to you.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Ted Sandyman is the miller in Hobbiton, thoroughly insular and small-minded. He later collaborates with Sharkey's men when they take over the Shire.

Likewise, the Sackville-Baggins family were more than just resentful of Bilbo's wealth; they actually collaborated with Saruman during his occupation of the Shire in order to take control of Bag End.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads