D&D 5E My Quick and Dirty Tasha Read

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It's not a typo. In the UA it was infinite darkvision, which they could also give to allies. This is scaled back from the UA, but is still the most powerful darkvision in the game.
IMO they should have kept it where it was.

It’s okay for a subclass or class or race to get a thing that no one else can get.

doctorbadwolf

Not for a level one dip, IMO.
Eh, I’m never gonna be convinced to care about mild imbalances from multiclassing.

edit: I say mild, because dark vision is plentiful, and most groups handwave it half the time anyway. 300ft isn’t actually that different from 120ft, as well. So the new thing is mostly sharing it.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
I can’t even imagine what it would be like to care about this.

I’m playing a Bladesinger. Why on earth would I even look at spells that aren’t designed to be used in melee?

Because almost none of them exist?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still shake my head at that, and even though I know it was probably floated in the Twilight cleric UA at 300ft, I still don't entirely believe they did it. Subconsciously I'm least 75% expecting that to be errataed back to 30ft relatively quickly on the grounds it was a typo.

Just seems wildly out of proportion with the darkvision ranges that literally anyone else gets.

Honestly, with the themes of protection and vigilance, I don't get why people are so shocked by this.

Of course a twilight cleric gets a massive bonus to darkvision, their entire concept is wrapped up in seeing the threats within the night before they see you. And this just lets them see in the night like they would in the day, it isn't even that powerful.

doctorbadwolf

Because almost none of them exist?
I mean, obviously I’m not mentioning utility spells, but just considering combat spells, I’m finding plenty. Maybe you are only concerned with weapon spells specifically, but many of the buff spells, any teleportation spell, spells that 4e would have called “close burst” or “close blast”, etc are all gish spells. They all help you excel at magical melee combat.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I mean, obviously I’m not mentioning utility spells, but just considering combat spells, I’m finding plenty. Maybe you are only concerned with weapon spells specifically, but many of the buff spells, any teleportation spell, spells that 4e would have called “close burst” or “close blast”, etc are all gish spells. They all help you excel at magical melee combat.

Ah, I hadn't considered blast spells. There are very few close range AOEs though. I think the vast majority of them are levels 1 and 2.

Buff spells generally can be cast on other people, making them sort of column A column B. Sure, a Bladesinger could give Haste to themselves, but they could also give it to the Raging Barbarian who definitely hits harder.

doctorbadwolf

Ah, I hadn't considered blast spells. There are very few close range AOEs though. I think the vast majority of them are levels 1 and 2.

Buff spells generally can be cast on other people, making them sort of column A column B. Sure, a Bladesinger could give Haste to themselves, but they could also give it to the Raging Barbarian who definitely hits harder.
I genuinely don’t understand the mindset being expressed here. You’re playing a Bladesinger, not a support caster.

You haste and cast booming blade twice and a regular attack once and get out of immediate melee range, skirmishing while nearly impossible to hit.

I genuinely don’t understand the mindset being expressed here. You’re playing a Bladesinger, not a support caster.

You haste and cast booming blade twice and a regular attack once and get out of immediate melee range, skirmishing while nearly impossible to hit.
How are you getting booming blade twice? Haste doesn’t allow cast a spell (even a cantrip) with its extra action.

NotAYakk

Legend
How are you getting booming blade twice? Haste doesn’t allow cast a spell (even a cantrip) with its extra action.
The argument is that Haste lets you make only 1 attack, but your Extra Attack feature still lets you replace that attack with a cantrip.

(I didn't say it was a strong argument)

Remove ads