D&D 5E My Quick and Dirty Tasha Read

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It is also not totally clear if you as a fighter 11/bladesinger 6 can make 3 attacks and replace one by a cantrip or if they need to chose which extra attack feature they use.
Thhe multiclass rule states, that they don't add together. I think you need to chose between 3 attacks or 1 + 1 cantrip (and one attack as a bonus action if you are an eldritch knight).
You are correct. RAW, you must choose between three attacks or one attack and one cantrip.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I'd definitely allow a fighter 11/bladesinger 6 make 2 attacks and a cantrip. You're high level and you've invested the levels into this multiclass, I see no reason not to allow it.

NotAYakk

Legend
I agree. I was just saying that it doesn't work RAW.
It is ambiguous if it works RAW.

If the "doesn't add together" sentence is described by the next sentence, and expanded by the 3rd, then it arguably works. This is a very natural way of reading the rule.

If the 2nd sentence is redundant, then it doesn't work.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It is ambiguous if it works RAW.

If the "doesn't add together" sentence is described by the next sentence, and expanded by the 3rd, then it arguably works. This is a very natural way of reading the rule.

If the 2nd sentence is redundant, then it doesn't work.
Features of the same name don't stack when you multiclass. Thus, it doesn't work RAW.

NotAYakk

Legend
Features of the same name don't stack when you multiclass. Thus, it doesn't work RAW.
There is no rule that states that.

For Channel Divinity, that isn't true; the features do stack, but the uses don't add. For spellcasting, they stack in interesting ways.

What you are stating is a mnemonic shorthand for actual rules. There is actually an enumerated set of rules for feature stacking, not a general one. Unless the rules have changed since the srd?

Chaosmancer

Legend
Myself, a Fighter 11/BS 6 is free to make 2 attacks and a cantrip as part of the attack action. It is T3 and you built your character for just this trick. Have fun. I don't see a serious balance hit here, nor is the wording so tortorous I'd recoil.

I'd also say that Haste is "the only thing you can do is one single attack in the attack action", which bars making a cantrip attack in the hasted action. Haste is already pretty darn strong, it doesn't need the boost.

Agreed.

Personally, I think the phrasing of Extra Attack not stacking is more to prevent a Paladin 5 Fighter 5 from making 4 attacks, not for preventing this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not everyone plays in a kitchen sink.

How is Dwarven Monk a kitchen Sink? Dwarves are one of the Core Four and Monks are a PHB class. That seems fairly standard to me.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
There is no rule that states that.

For Channel Divinity, that isn't true; the features do stack, but the uses don't add. For spellcasting, they stack in interesting ways.

What you are stating is a mnemonic shorthand for actual rules. There is actually an enumerated set of rules for feature stacking, not a general one. Unless the rules have changed since the srd?
From the PHB:

Extra Attack​

If you gain the Extra Attack class feature from more than one class, the features don't add together. You can't make more than two attacks with this feature unless it says you do (as the fighter's version of Extra Attack does). Similarly, the warlock's eldritch invocation Thirsting Blade doesn't give you additional attacks if you also have Extra Attack.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I'd also say that Haste is "the only thing you can do is one single attack in the attack action", which bars making a cantrip attack in the hasted action. Haste is already pretty darn strong, it doesn't need the boost.
It is strong, but RAW, if the cantrip you're casting is allowing you to make a single weapon attack as part of the Attack action, the combination works. Green-Flame Blade and Booming Blade allow you to make a melee weapon attack as part of casting the cantrip, and the Bladesinger gains the ability to cast a cantrip as part of the Attack Action.

Zsong

Explorer
Agreed.

Personally, I think the phrasing of Extra Attack not stacking is more to prevent a Paladin 5 Fighter 5 from making 4 attacks, not for preventing this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How is Dwarven Monk a kitchen Sink? Dwarves are one of the Core Four and Monks are a PHB class. That seems fairly standard to me.
Monks couldn’t be monks or even spellcasters to us old folk 😉

heck allowing them to be thieve and clerics is a radical idea 😉

Remove ads