• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Rebalanced Core Races [v1.1]

Captain NeMo

First Post
A friend and I developed these changes to the rules together awhile ago, and although our final versions were a bit different from each other's (the one below is mine) we pretty much agreed with each other on most things. I've included races that I haven't changed just for the sake of completeness and easy comparison.

Bear in mind that I have specifically thought of Eberron when changing the bonuses/penalties of some of the races, and that I'm also using the Weapon Group Proficiency variant.

Humans (Balanced)
Changes- None.
•Medium Size
•Human base land speed is 30 feet.
•1 extra feat at 1st level.
•4 extra skill points at 1st level and 1 extra skill point at each additional level.
•Automatic Language: Common. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).

Dwarves (Overpowered)
Changes- Changed their Charisma penalty to Dexterity, reduced their bonus vs. magic by 1 and gave them a minus one on Diplomacy and Bluff. Even if they aren’t as un-charismatic as a charisma penalty implies, they are probably still on the unsociable side.
•+2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity.
•Medium size.
•Dwarf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dwarves can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).
•Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and dwarves can function just fine with no light at all.
•Stonecunning: This ability grants a dwarf a +2 racial bonus on Search checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn’t stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A dwarf who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a Search check as if he were actively searching, and a dwarf can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A dwarf can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up.
•+1 racial bonus on attack against orcs and goblinoids.
•+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
•Stability: A dwarf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
•Weapon Familiarity: Any dwarf who has Weapon Group (axes) is also proficient with the dwarven waraxe and the dwarven urgrosh.
•+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
•+1 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.
•+2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to stone or metal items.
•+2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to stone or metal.
•-1 Racial penalty on Bluff and Diplomacy checks.
•Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.

Elves (Slightly Underpowered)
Changes- Gave them an +2 on either Knowledge (Religion) or Knowledge (Arcana).
•+2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution.
•Medium size.
•Elf base land speed is 30 feet.
•Immunity to magic sleep effects, and a +2 racial saving throw bonus against enchantment spells or effects.
•Low-Light Vision: An elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
•Weapon Familiarity: All elves automatically have the Weapon Group (bows) and either Weapon Group (heavy blades) or Weapon Group (light blades) feats.
•+2 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks. An elf who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
•+2 racial Bonus on either Knowledge (Religion) or Knowledge (Arcana) (Players Choice)
•Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, and Sylvan.

Gnomes (Balanced)
Changes- None.
•+2 Constitution, -2 Strength.
•Small Size
•Gnome base land speed is 20 feet.
•Low-Light Vision: A gnome can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
•Weapon Familiarity: Any gnome who has Weapon Group Proficiency (picks and hammers) is also proficient with the gnome hooked hammer.
•+2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions.
•Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against illusion spells cast by gnomes. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects.
•+1 racial bonus on attack rolls against kobolds and goblinoids.
•+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against monsters of the giant type. Any time a creature loses its Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when it’s caught flat-footed, it loses its dodge bonus, too.
•+2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
•+2 racial bonus on Craft (alchemy) checks.
•Automatic Languages: Common and Gnome. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, and Orc.
•Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (burrowing mammal only, duration 1 minute). A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + gnome’s Cha modifier + spell level.

Goblins (Underpowered)
Changes- Removed their charisma penalty (the Dhakaani goblins have a much greater sense of self-worth than goblins in most settings), reduced their Move Silently and Ride bonuses to +3, to keep them in line with the Hobgoblin.
•+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength
•Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
•A goblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
•Darkvision: Goblins can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Goblins can function just fine with no light at all.
•Weapon Familiarity: All goblins automatically have Weapon Group (Flails and Chains) as bonus feat.
•+3 racial bonus on Move Silently and Ride checks.
•Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc.

Half-Elves (Underpowered)
Changes- Removed the Diplomacy and Gather Information bonuses, and instead given the ‘Adaptable and Skillful’ Extraordinary ability. Given a +1 Bonus on Knowledge (Local).
•Medium size.
•Half-elf base land speed is 30 feet.
•Immunity to sleep spells and similar magical effects, and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantment spells or effects.
•Low-Light Vision: A half-elf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
•Adaptable and Skillful (Ex)- Half-Elves may choose from the following list of feats at first level: Acrobatic, Agile, Alertness, Animal Affinity, Deceitful, Deft Hands, Diligent, Investigator, Magical Aptitude, Negotiator, Nimble Fingers, Persuasive, Skill Focus or Stealthy. Additionally, she may select any one skill and designate it as a permanent class skill for all her classes.
•+1 racial bonus on Listen, Search, and Spot checks.
•+1 racial bonus on Knowledge (Local) checks.
•Elven Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-elf is considered an elf.
•Automatic Languages: Common and Elven. Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages, such as Druidic).

Half-Orcs (Underpowered)
Changes- Gave an +3 on intimidate and survival, weapon familiarity, removed their intelligence penalty.
•+2 Strength, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
•Medium Size
•Half-Orc base land speed is 30 feet.
•Darkvision: Half-Orcs (and Orcs) can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and half-Orcs can function just fine with no light at all.
•Weapon Familiarity: Any half-orc who has Weapon Group (axes) is also proficient with the orc double axe.
•Half-Orcs receive a +3 bonus to Survival. Their Orc lineage instills a primal knowledge of how to survive in the wilderness.
•Half-Orcs receive a +3 bonus to Intimidate. They are naturally intimidating.
•Orc Blood: For all effects related to race, a half-orc is considered an orc.
•Automatic Languages: Common and Orc. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Gnoll, Goblin, and Abyssal.

Halflings (Balanced)
Changes- None.
•+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
•Small Size
•Halfling base land speed is 20 feet.
•+2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, and Move Silently checks.
•+1 racial bonus on all saving throws.
•+2 morale bonus on saving throws against fear: This bonus stacks with the halfling’s +1 bonus on saving throws in general.
•+1 racial bonus on attack rolls with thrown weapons and slings.
•+2 racial bonus on Listen checks.
•Automatic Languages: Common and Halfling. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, and Orc.

Hobgoblins (Underpowered)
Changes- Removed their bonus to dexterity, lowered their +4 bonus to Move Silently checks to +3, lowered their level adjustment to +0.
•+2 Constitution.
•A hobgoblin’s base land speed is 30 feet.
•Darkvision: Hobgoblins can see in the dark up to 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only, but it is otherwise like normal sight, and Hobgoblins can function just fine with no light at all.
•+3 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
•Automatic Languages: Common, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Infernal, Giant, Orc.
•Level adjustment +0.

Updates
v1.1 • Corrected 'Bonus' to 'racial penalty' for the dwarf's bluff and diplomacy modifier.
• Clarified wording of the half-elf's Adaptable and Skilful abillity.
v1.2 • Gave the half-orc weapon familiarity with the orc double axe
• Removed the half-orc's intelligence penalty

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Nice. A question about the half-elf special ability:

Jodjod said:
Adaptable and Skillful (Ex)- Half-Elves may choose any one feat that comprises of an +2 bonus on two skills at creation. They may also choose any other skill that then becomes a permanent class skill for them. This choice must be made at 1st level and cannot be changed.

When you say "any other skill" you mean they can't choose one the skills that the feat boosts? I don't see the reasoning behind that. Also, why not let them choose skill focus instead of a +2/+2 feat?

With regard to the dwarves- I think a dex penalty is good. It ties in nicely with the whole heavy armor thing that they naturally tend towards. But I would be tempted to give them a countervailing bonus with open locks and disable device checks; they should still be mechanically skillful.

Victim

First Post
I'm not sure the elf changes are sufficient. The elven Con penalty is rather crippling, especially since elves tend to favor low HD classes. Normally, stat modifiers are helpful in that they allow a character to trade off a stat he doesn't plan to use much for a bonus in a stat that is helpful. But everyone uses Con. A minor skill boost isn't going to fix that problem.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Yay low-Dex Dwarves! That's exactly what I do, too.

For Half-Elves (and Half-Orcs), consider this ability:

Mixed Blood (Ex): For any effect that depends on your racial subtype, you are considered either Human or Elf, whichever would be more favorable. Thus, against a Human-bane weapon, you may be considered an Elf (and avoid the extra damage). You cannot avoid extra damage from a weapon that is both Elf-bane and Human-bane, of course.

For this ability to shine, you'd have to throw in some Gnoll Rangers (with Favored Enemy: one or the other), some Drow-hating nation who makes Elf-bane weapons, etc.

One thing I miss from earlier editions is the bonus Elves got with Bows, Longswords & Rapiers ("Elf Weapons" hereafter). I can see a couple ways to bring that back in.

1/ If an Elf gains proficency with an Elf Weapon from another source, his racial ability changes to a +1 Competence bonus to attack and damage rolls.
= or =
2/ As a special option, an Elf may take choose "Elf Weapons" for feats that normally apply to a single weapon type (e.g. Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical).

Obviously, those would only be good for a more martial Elf, but seeing how the Con penalty really hits martial Elves, that's cool with me. ;)

Cheers, -- N

Captain NeMo

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
When you say "any other skill" you mean they can't choose one the skills that the feat boosts? I don't see the reasoning behind that. Also, why not let them choose skill focus instead of a +2/+2 feat?

An oversight, really. The special abillity was constructed by my friend - we must have forgotten to look over the wording.

Cheiromancer said:
With regard to the dwarves- I think a dex penalty is good. It ties in nicely with the whole heavy armor thing that they naturally tend towards. But I would be tempted to give them a countervailing bonus with open locks and disable device checks; they should still be mechanically skillful.

Heh, that was actually exactly what my friend had put in his version of the Dwarf. He had also removed their combat bonuses versus orcs, goblinoids and giants though, so I had a bit of a hard time coming to an agreement to him about what was balanced and what wasn't. I can definately see the reasoning behind the Open Lock/Disable Device bonus. A +1 bonus to each, maybe (to mirror the Diplomacy/Sense Motive -1 penalties)?

Victim said:
I'm not sure the elf changes are sufficient. The elven Con penalty is rather crippling, especially since elves tend to favor low HD classes. Normally, stat modifiers are helpful in that they allow a character to trade off a stat he doesn't plan to use much for a bonus in a stat that is helpful. But everyone uses Con. A minor skill boost isn't going to fix that problem.

The Elves are a tricky one. The reason I gave them a choice between Arcana and Religion was to fit in with the Eberron lore - Valenar Elves use a lot of magic in combat, and Aerenal Elves are probably the most religious nation in Eberron, what with their 'gods' living in their capital and all...

I don't want to give them a bonus that pretty much negates their con penalty. I can't see the point. But I agree they should perhaps gain something else.

Nifft said:
Mixed Blood (Ex): For any effect that depends on your racial subtype, you are considered either Human or Elf, whichever would be more favorable. Thus, against a Human-bane weapon, you may be considered an Elf (and avoid the extra damage). You cannot avoid extra damage from a weapon that is both Elf-bane and Human-bane, of course.

Sounds interesting. Would it make half-elves and half-orcs that little bit too powerful, on top of their other new bonuses?

Captain NeMo

First Post
Good point. It would also, perhaps, be an option to give them Weapon Group Focus to go with it. Although, I kinda think Weapon Finesse would be something that most Elf fighters would take..

airwalkrr

Adventurer
In my next campaign, I plan to make half-orcs a +2 Str, +2 Con, -4 Cha race and reduce their darkvision to 30 ft. This is based on older editions though when half-orcs got +1 Str, +1 Con and -2 Cha. I also base Will saves on Charisma so half-orcs have effectively -2 to all Will saves, making them quite pliable. This makes half-orcs decidedly better, but at the same time giving them a significant weakness. A min/maxer's dream I suppose, but such players often find me gunning for their characters until they tone things down. I don't know if a bonus to Intimidate and Survival is beefy enough to make up for the half-orc's shortcomings. Of course, despite the mechanical deficiencies of the half-orc, it remains a popular race to play, so maybe it isn't as broken as it seems.

I do the same thing with dwarves, too (I posted that a while back, actually). I've become quite taken with giving elves a penalty to Wisdom instead of Constitution: it's appropriate, I think, to spontaneous, artistic fey creatures who roam through the trees, and makes martial elves a lot more viable.

Captain NeMo

First Post
Actually I think I can remember your thread comrade raoul. I think it may have been what gave me & my buddy the idea for the dwarf fix.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads