• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My warlock wants to stab you in the eye!

Ulthwithian

First Post
I'd like to chime in with a request for clarification on this issue. The Infernal Warlock in my group would dearly love to have his Dark Blessing boon stack, though he isn't asking for it.

AGFlynn

First Post
My thinking was that if it doesn't stack, the temp HP gained are fairly insignificant. 4 hp per encounter for my Warlock, which is not really terribly useful at all. In fact, even though it will slowly advance with level, it seems too little to bother with.

I note, however, that the 2nd Level Power Fiendish Resilience only gives you temporary hit points equal to 5 + your Constitution modifier.
That seems rather small compared to the 12 extra temp HP you could get from 3 cursed minions hitting 0, though I can imagine employing that one under non-combat circumstances when you need extra HP.

James McMurray

First Post
It's not 4hp per encounter, its a max of 4hp at a time. If you have 4 temp, get hit for 6 damage (2 real) and then another minion dies, you've got 4 shiny new temp hp and have gained 8 total.

frankthedm

First Post
AGFlynn said:
My thinking was that if it doesn't stack, the temp HP gained are fairly insignificant. 4 hp per encounter for my Warlock, which is not really terribly useful at all.
Except that 4e assumes you will be hit over and over by your foes {note how hard it is to get AC above what level appropriate foes can reliably hit]. As a striker, the warlock tries to minimize how many foes can him, but even kobold minions will land a few of those javelins. The Temp HP reduce the bite of that first hit, then the warlock needs to kill again.

Goobermunch

Explorer
Nifft said:
May I ask you to link to this, please? I'd be disappointed, but they did something similarly stupid with the Star Pact special feat, so this wouldn't be a total surprise. :\

My calculations regarding the Hexhammer Gish don't require temp HP stacking -- the real juice is when you enter Iron Vanguard and get both healing AND temporary HP when you drop a foe.

Cheers, -- N

What did they do to Improved Fate of the Void?

--G

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Goobermunch said:
What did they do to Improved Fate of the Void?
ISTR CustServ ruled that IFotV stacked, so killing two minions got you a +4, not a +3 (as it ought).

However, I can't find the post on the WotC forums, so maybe it was a hallucination, or maybe they're still having technical issues. :\

Cheers, -- N

burntgerbil

Explorer
If you get temporary hit points from different sources, use the higher value as your temporary hit point total instead of adding the
values together.

I don't even see how this is a question. Look at the power levels of the other boons. Note also that the star pact boon specifically says that it's bonus stacks. It's pretty clear to us (my group) that this doesn't stack - and I am the infernal warlock player.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Nifft said:
ISTR CustServ ruled that IFotV stacked, so killing two minions got you a +4, not a +3 (as it ought).

However, I can't find the post on the WotC forums, so maybe it was a hallucination, or maybe they're still having technical issues. :\

Cheers, -- N
You weren't hallucinating, I remember seeing that as well. Maybe check the gathered customer service responses thread on this board? I think that's where I read it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads