D&D 5E Mystara Player's Guide free for download

Moody Mac

Explorer
The thing was lost city is that it's a bottle model. It literally starts out with just a 20 x 20 room sticking out of the sand. You can put it anywhere because everything takes place Underground. In Canon it's in the nation of Ylaruam but as long as you've got a small stretch of sand you've got an adventure. The people don't resemble any of the surfaces because of their isolation, so much they have their own human variant.

Having run it I will say the bane of the module is the create food and water spell. They didn't have it in the original rules for the module and in fifth edition it ruins one of the major elements of the story
I've really enjoyed going through your PDF of Mystara, there is a lot to draw from there. I've already got many of Thorfins maps for 1000 AC, but your overview of the world is both concise, and broad enough to give a really good feel for the place. I'm going to use Keep on the Borderlands, The Lost City, and elements from Lost Mines of Phandelver to run an introductory campaign for kids. I think your PDF is the final piece of the puzzle I was looking for. My 8 year old daughter spent a day making a Hin Master cleric. Thank you.

Last edited:

The Glen

Legend
I've really enjoyed going through your PDF of Mystara, there is a lot to draw from there. I've already got many of Thorfins maps for 1000 AC, but your overview of the world is both concise, and broad enough to give a really good feel for the place. I'm going to use Keep on the Borderlands, The Lost City, and elements from Lost Mines of Phandelver to run an introductory campaign for kids. I think your PDF is the final piece of the puzzle I was looking for. My 8 year old daughter spent a day making a Hin Master cleric. Thank you.
Funny story from the play test sessions, everyone who played a master turned into a den mother dedicated to taking care of the party. The most motivating factor for the party was not to make her give them the eye.

Moody Mac

Explorer
I thought while helping her make the character, what a great little heroic class it is. Motivated to travel, adventure and looking after others. Also with the prospect of one day returning home to the Five Shires. It is a great character for a kid.

The Glen

Legend
You gotta get her back to the Shires at least once so she might try Denial out. Mystara halflings have quite a bit of character because of their urge to adventure when younger, everybody has adventurer levels there. Keeps people from robbing the taverns.

The Glen

Legend
The book has been updated to fix several typos and rules issues that were brought to my attention. Also included a legal statement to bring the book fully in line with Wizard's fan content rules. Enjoy!

SeerMalbeth

First Post
I worked on this for five years, converting the Known World to 5th edition. 224 pages, dozens of new subclasses, new races, spells, feats and types of magic. All original art and introduces one of the all time best settings to new players. After discussing it with friends and gamers, decided to put it up as a fanwork as the odds of WOTC opening up the guild is doubtful at this point. Enjoy adventuring in Mystara once more.

Awesome job Mr. Welch! We will be able to finish a 38 year campaign in Mystara thanks to you! Received the red boxed set Christmas of 8th grade/1983, played expert then companion, until received the 1st Ed. AD&D books from Sears catalogue for Christmas 9th grade, continued in Known World until received the Greyhawk boxed set 10th grade. Then came college & played little in 1990s, until 3 of us in our 30s got back together and started playing 3.0/3.5 Greyhawk again, but they decided to retire their characters in Mystara, so they Gated back and we have been playing there the past decade, playing through old modules we never had money to collect as kids, converting them to Pathfinder. Now we have updated rules to finish our campaign with! The only thing we wish you had considered is Sorcerers can work in Mystara... we use Sorcerer as the default class for the more beautiful charismatic Elves... they are more natural magic-users running in the forests, different than the more scientific Wizards of Glantri & Alphatia with their books; although Arcane, Fey, etc. are the default Elven bloodlines rather than dragons, and human Foresters are those the Elves identified as having blood-lines they could invoke & train in the natural Elven way of magic... and the Erewan were even elves who decided to study magic as Wizards from books the way the humans did in Glantri. And radiant magic just seems closer to technological wizardry than innate sorcerery. Making Mystaran Elves Sorcerers wielding longswords & longbows due to racial weapon proficiencies pretty much matches fighter/magic-user Elves as a class like BECMII and explains why they weren't quit as good fighters as humans. I also introduced my son to d&d using the red boxed set and he is still playing a version of that fighter. And over 38 years, since we were 14 years old, my friend David's elf Davin has been converted from BECMII to 3.0 to 3.5 to 3.75 and maybe now to 5E, before he completes his path to Immortality as a Grognard, because of your efforts. Thank you.

Remove ads