Mystic soulknife questions

zaratan

First Post
Look dude, you're the that said fighter, then you added stupid numbers, when I showed the math breakdown, now all of a sudden it's you want compare battle masters with polearms in 5 rounds of combat. Here's a heads up genius, the reason I don't add superiority dice is because you get like 4 of them in a short rest? That gives you1 per round for 4 rounds or 2 in 2 rounds, that's not sustainable damage. Not only that, but going off your "6-8 encounters" rule, that means 3-5 encounters you will face will not have the benefit of a short rest, and will not reset your dice. Also they don't consistently increase your chances to hit, which is what you would need to out DPS the SK, so there was no point in adding them in the equation. Play whatever you want dude I couldn't care less. I told you before why the off-hand does not synergies with powers, because it will be OP, but it seems to me, that's what you're after. To try and be the most OP power gamer. It really doesn't matter which Mystic you play, because the differences for the most part are minor unless you're gonna play heavy your your Order's powers.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Hauauhauhau you're crazy, man. Read the topic again, you started to compare mystic with other classes, until then I was just saying that mystic are lackluster compared with other mystics (argument that you even tried to prove wrong).

If you want to compare at will fighter, compare with at will soul knife. But you compared an at will fighter with full pp burnned soul knife with his damage only at third round. Don't even try to justify yourself.
2 short rest/day means lvl 9 battlemaster get more 6 attacks with action surge, 15 attacks with +15d10 with ripose and you think this is ignorable? You didn't ignored 57 pp, but ignored the lower damage at roubd one and two for mystic. Lol

Yeah, I like to make builds, power play, math about that and check the management resources for entire day is the only way of do it right.
If not, you can fall in the falacy of 'mystic is so OP", he can burn 21 psi points in one turn for 100dmg!"... but this is completly wrong.

If you really want to compare, don't be lazy and check the entire day, or don't lose your time.

About off hand, the bad design isn't abput don't stack with other resources, os that he can't use it at same turn, so would be way better to give him something like booming blade than a feature that he only will use 10% of time, and that don't let he even hold a map or a torch with a weapon in other hand! Isn't about make him more powerful, is about he get a feature that don't create conflit with any other thing that he has.

I know you will not read what I writting, how you did every time.

neogod22

Explorer
Hauauhauhau you're crazy, man. Read the topic again, you started to compare mystic with other classes, until then I was just saying that mystic are lackluster compared with other mystics (argument that you even tried to prove wrong).

If you want to compare at will fighter, compare with at will soul knife. But you compared an at will fighter with full pp burnned soul knife with his damage only at third round. Don't even try to justify yourself.
2 short rest/day means lvl 9 battlemaster get more 6 attacks with action surge, 15 attacks with +15d10 with ripose and you think this is ignorable? You didn't ignored 57 pp, but ignored the lower damage at roubd one and two for mystic. Lol

Yeah, I like to make builds, power play, math about that and check the management resources for entire day is the only way of do it right.
If not, you can fall in the falacy of 'mystic is so OP", he can burn 21 psi points in one turn for 100dmg!"... but this is completly wrong.

If you really want to compare, don't be lazy and check the entire day, or don't lose your time.

About off hand, the bad design isn't abput don't stack with other resources, os that he can't use it at same turn, so would be way better to give him something like booming blade than a feature that he only will use 10% of time, and that don't let he even hold a map or a torch with a weapon in other hand! Isn't about make him more powerful, is about he get a feature that don't create conflit with any other thing that he has.

I know you will not read what I writting, how you did every time.

You understand my point, which is the soul knife is not underpowered, yet you continually argued against it. BTW riposte does not give you an extra attack, it allows you to use your reaction on the specific purpose of countering a miss, which is akin to taking an opportunity attack, the problem with that strategy is, you are banking on a missed attack every round to use it, and as a fighter, using that maneuver means you're not worried about holding creatures in place, since you can't stop them from moving away from you.

Paired weapon fighting is not a bad design, I don't know why you keep going on about it. Booming blade would be a good alternative to a normal attack, but I like many other people play in Adventures League, and when this class officially comes out, AL rules say you're allowed to use the PHB and 1 other player resource, so booming blade will not be an option. Also, you can still make an attack with your off hand if you did use booming blade since it is a bonus action.

zaratan

First Post
You understand my point, which is the soul knife is not underpowered, yet you continually argued against it. BTW riposte does not give you an extra attack, it allows you to use your reaction on the specific purpose of countering a miss, which is akin to taking an opportunity attack, the problem with that strategy is, you are banking on a missed attack every round to use it, and as a fighter, using that maneuver means you're not worried about holding creatures in place, since you can't stop them from moving away from you.

Paired weapon fighting is not a bad design, I don't know why you keep going on about it. Booming blade would be a good alternative to a normal attack, but I like many other people play in Adventures League, and when this class officially comes out, AL rules say you're allowed to use the PHB and 1 other player resource, so booming blade will not be an option. Also, you can still make an attack with your off hand if you did use booming blade since it is a bonus action.

When I said I think soul knife is underpowered, is compared to other orders, not other classes. And yes, to me, they are lackluster since mystic great point is versatility and soul knife is the less versatile. Still, they are better than immortal.
Ripose can give exactly an extra attack with extra damage dice, something that you wouldn't use thay round. With polearm master and sentinel you can trigger a AoO 80% or rounds.
You can't use off hand attack with BB, you need to use a attack action, so you can't use with melee canteips, soul knife lvl 14 feature, any increase weapon damage discipline (even with mastery of wood that is an action), parry, mystic recovery, nothing. And can't get a magic weapon or even hold anything in your hand, sorry, but I can't see this a real benefit that worth two less disciplines. And how mystic isn't AL legal, bokming blade is 100% valid choice.

I said this before, I can see a fully functional soul knife with booming blade and/or green flame blade. Use your bonus action to parry or any other good effect.
His off hand attack look like immortals features, they don't really add much. You don't need to agree, but to me, is a completly bad design and I doubt if soul knife be published, he'll stay how it is.

Last edited:

neogod22

Explorer
When I said I think soul knife is underpowered, is compared to other orders, not other classes.
Ripose can give exactly an extra attack with extra damage dice, something that you wouldn't use thay round. With polearm master and sentinel you can trigger a AoO 80% or rounds.
You can't use off hand attack with BB, you need to use a attack action, so you can't use with melee canteips, soul knife lvl 14 feature, any increase weapon damage discipline (even with mastery of wood that is an action), parry, mystic recovery, nothing. And can't get a magic weapon or even hold anything in your hand, sorry, but I can't see this a real benefit that worth two less disciplines. And how mystic isn't AL legal, bokming blade is 100% valid choice.

I said this before, I can see a fully functional soul knife with booming blade and/or green flame blade. Use your bonus action to parry or any other good effect.
His off hand attack look like immortals features, they don't really add much. You don't need to agree, but to me, is a completly bad design and I doubt if soul knife be published, he'll stay how it is.

So you play in AL, because the only things that are legal are what's in the actual published books, and as new player books come out, they update the rules to allow for those books, but as I said, they limit players to the PHB and 1 player supplement only. So if you want to play a race that's in Volo's Guide for example, you can't use anything out of Sword Coast. They may add an ammendment to allow all the races when this class does come out in a book, but I doubt they will allow for anything else to be used.

zaratan

First Post
So you play in AL, because the only things that are legal are what's in the actual published books, and as new player books come out, they update the rules to allow for those books, but as I said, they limit players to the PHB and 1 player supplement only. So if you want to play a race that's in Volo's Guide for example, you can't use anything out of Sword Coast. They may add an ammendment to allow all the races when this class does come out in a book, but I doubt they will allow for anything else to be used.

Yeah, I now how AL work, but my critic is about actual soul knife design. Something that probably will change if he'll be published one day

foggy

First Post
So a few things, 1. You have a cheater character. You can't get high elf racial stats by training with an elf. That's like trying to say your dwarf if 10' tall because he hung out with giants, but if your DM allowed you to take those stats, that's on him. 2. I'm guessing you "rolled" your stats instead of using the point buy system, which will explain them.

OK now with your questions about the powers.

Does hone the blade and augment weapon stack?
No. The reason why is, the are the same damage type (none) and according to the rules in the PHB, you go with the higher of the 2.

Does ogre form and giant growth focus stack on the reach?
DM'S call on that one. Because of the no stacking rule, probably a no.

Psionic Weapon focus will cause you not to be able to use your STR or DEX modifier on damage for either weapon until level 6. At level 6, you can still only use your STR or DEX modifier for damage ON YOUR MAIN ATTACK ONLY. Your off hand doesn't get a damage modifier, unless you multi-class into fighter and take the 2 weapon fighter fighting style. So since your soul knives already do psychic damage, there is no reason to use that focus, or probably to even take that discipline.

On that first point, Tasha's added an optional ruling in which player characters are allowed to allocate their racial ability scotes in a +2/+1 or a +1/+1/+1 to any ability scote regardless of starting race

Remove ads