• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Mystic Thurge - Is it broken?

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
reapersaurus said:
The only justification for concern needed about the MT is this:

[insert the spell lists from 1 thru 7 for the Wizard and Cleric]
[compare to the 8th level spell list]

See?
A Straight-classed PC doesn't get ANY of those from the other list.
Someone- please show me which of those 8th level spells is going to be better to have than the entirety of the 1 thru 7 list?

I am undecided about whether a MT10 is too powerful. I think it is a close thing. But I am sure than lower level MTs are not overpowered, surely even underpowered until character level ~13.

How about I show you what 5th level spells are better than the entirety of levels 1-4? That is easy: Lesser Planar Binding, Wall of Stone, Wall of Force, Hold Monster, Shadow Evocation, Magic Jar, Teleport, Transmute Rock to Mud, Atonement, Commune, Dispel Evil, Mark of Justice, Plane Shift, Raise Dead, Spell Resistance, True Seeing. You may not agree with the whole list, but surely you must admit that Wall of Force, Teleport, Commune, Plane Shift, and Raise Dead fundamentally alter the strategy and tactics of the campaign.

ruleslawyer

Reapersaurus: You're also being a bit unfair in consistently choosing the borderline case. It's only 50% of the time that the MT will lag only one spell level behind the straight caster; the other 50% of the time, he'll be TWO spell levels back. That's a very, very big difference. Also, losing out on SR penetration really does suck at these levels. I think you make very good points in favor of the MyTh actually being able to compete with a straight caster, but I don't see a conclusive argument as to the MyTh being flat-out BETTER than a straight caster.

Remove ads