• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Myth & Magic rpg

Calimar

First Post
Hey everyone!

I just thought I'd stop on by to let people know about the Myth & Magic rpg from New Haven Games. The game is an evolution of the old 2e rules system, combining the classic feel of that edition with some of the more modern game mechanics of later editions. It should appeal to old schoolers and new schoolers alike.

The game is still in the play-testing phase and there has already been a free starter kit released for it and a revised starter kit is currently in the works and should be released soon. The head of New Haven Games (Tom Ryan) is very much open to feedback from the gaming community and has already made changes to the game based on such feedback.

So if you're a fan of the older editions or someone who would be curious to see a fresh take on a classic game or even provide feedback to help shape the future of that game, please stop on by New Haven Games website:

Myth & Magic Fantasy Roleplaying: Modern Meets Classic

Hope to see you there.

Calimar

First Post
I'm not sure what the issue is, I'm just a member of the forum, not an administrator. I noticed it was having trouble earlier, but it seems to be working at the moment. Hopefully it was just a temporary glitch.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Very interesting. Hopefully this will help spur more action on the AD&D side of the OSR movement - most products are for LL, which is okay, but B/X is probably my least favorite old school type of D&D.

nexgen

First Post
That's a great point regarding the hopeful increase in AD&D-related material for the OSR, although it does exist and we do all share certain gaming mechanics so that interchanging OSR sources is doable. The companies who own the games you mentioned have done a great job and 3rd party support exists.

We hope to do the same thing.

3rd party support is critical, so to highlight the flexibility of the system (and to attract various types of 3rd party publishers) we're planning to release fluff/campaign material, class/race material and good dungeon crawls, the latter of which seems to be the real draw of 3rd-party supporters in the OSR (and what most critics of 2E feel was lacking from that era).

We have a few pieces of IP in Myth & Magic, but we won't disallow the use of our IP if an email is sent to us beforehand and a quick conversation can commence.

kitsune9

Adventurer
This looks really nice. I like the art and how they did ability scores. I'm curious though as to why they made wizard XP progression (slow table) a lot faster than fighter progression since the argument on the net these days is that wizards are far more powerful than fighters.

But overall, I think this is a good retro for 2e.

I am not sure why they changed all the races to more like 3E, that annoys me a bit. They really should have 2E style characteristics, not 3 (i.e. elves having darkvision as well as dwarves)

Remove ads