Myth of Sarnau

Skarp Hedin

First Post
I just finished writing this document, which is combination creation myth and historical record. Ideally, the PCs will find it in a strange temple on an uncharted island, and it'll detail some information they didn't know. Maybe they won't care, either, but we'll find that out. Anyhow, thought I'd post it here, in pieces rather than in one long post, and see if anyone'd like to comment.

----------

The Song of the Bull

Ages ago in the quiet dark time, there were but two: The Great Bull and the Heavenly Cow. In the cold darkness before time, they comforted one another and when the time of rut came upon them, the glory of their love brought forth the world.

They looked upon the new-made world and were pleased. The Heavenly Cow lifted up her horns to the heavens and spoke: "I choose to become the spirit of this world, for her fields and valleys are beautiful. I shall be Oarain." Then the Great Bull lifted up his horns to the heavens and spoke: "I choose to become the protector and guardian of this world, for her fields and valleys are beautiful. I shall be Sarnau."

From that day, the Heavenly Cow was no more, and instead there was Oarain, and the Great Bull was no more, and instead there was Sarnau.

Sarnau took the body of the Heavenly Cow and made from her the firmament of the world. Her eyes he set in the skies to be Sun and Moon of the world, and from her horns he fashioned the mountains. Her blood he spilled to make the sea and her hide he tanned to make the land. Her bones he made into the trees, and her skull he fashioned into his great palace, which he set in the heavens above the world.

All was well on the world of Oarain, and Sarnau the Bull sat in his great palace and kept watch over the world. There was nothing that moved across the world that he did not see, nothing that swam in its waters that he did not hear, and nothing that flew in its airs that he did not feel. For a time, the Bull was pleased, but eventually he grew lonely, for his beloved Oarain had become distant and silent in the world. He could feel her presence in the winds, and taste her on the waters, but it was his desire to know companionship again.

He bent down and took of the mud and soil of the earth, and drew of its waters and plants, and from these he made a shape, into which he placed life. He called it 'man' and remembering his joy in the time of rut, he created as two - male and female.

The Bull set many of his creations in the world, and great love for them welled within his breast. He sat to watching them, and speaking with them as he wished, and time passed in the idylls of the early world.

Eventually, the Bull noticed that others walked in the world he and Oarain had made, some tall and fair, others short and squat. Many races and peoples had spread over the parts of the world unused by the humans, and they bowed down in worship to beings other than the Bull. Intrigued, Sarnau strode out from Heaven to investigate.

In the forests, the Bull met tall folk who loved the trees and bowed down before their great Queen Medb. He called them elves in the tongue of Men, and with them he was pleased.

In the mountains, the Bull met short folk who loved the earth and bowed down before the Earth King and his wife, the Stone Mother. He called them dwarves in the tongue of Men, and with them, he was pleased.

In the hills, the Bull met short folk who dwelled with the animals and bowed down before no one, but instead before Nature itself. He called them gnomes in the tongue of Men, and with them, he was pleased.

In the plains, the Bull met short folk who loved comforts and wealth and bowed down before beings of hearth and home. He called them hinfolk in the tongue of Men, and with them, he was pleased.

All over the world, the Bull met folk who dwelled and bowed down, and with some was he pleased, and with others was he displeased. He set in the hearts of Men amity for those folk who pleased him, and he set in the hearts of Men hatred for those folk who displeased them, and in this way was the Bull right pleased with the world.

In Heaven, the gods of the Good Folk came to visit Sarnau, and he feasted with them long days and nights.

Queen Medb of the elvenfolk was a star of light and charm in the Heavenly Fields of the Bull-God, and she teased the Bull endlessly, feigning to plead her troth one day, and feigning disdain another. Her people, the elves, were flighty and inconstant like she, and they built no great cities in their forests. For her charm did the Bull love her, and for her love of beauty in the forests. Many of her court dwelled with her in the forests, and they were pleasing to the Bull, for they served their Queen well.

The Earth King of the dwarves was a dour, introspective being, given to long contemplations of earth and stone, and with a great love for craft and invention. For his invention did the Bull love him, and for his love of beauty in the earth. His wife, the Stone Mother was a stern being of great hardiness and watchfulness. For her vigilance did the Bull love her, and for her love of the guardianship of her people. Legion were their sons, and endless were their daughters, and they were pleasing to the Bull, for they served their people well.

The great druids of the gnomish folk were well-loved by the animals of the world, and wise in the ways of trees and rivers. For their wisdom did the Bull love them, and for their love of the growing and breathing things of the world. Boundless were their hearts, and they were pleasing to the Bull, for they gave song and light to the hills of the world.

The many hearth gods of the hinfolk were beacons of warmth and cleverness in the world. For their homeliness did the Bull love them, and for the clever ways in which they inspired their children. Myriad were their helpers, and they were pleasing to the Bull, for they served their people well.

Skarp Hedin

First Post
In the great forests of the world did the elves dwell, and in them they sang and danced, feasted and supped with their great Queen and her attendants. No cities did they build, but instead gentle towns within the wood and by the brook.

In the mighty mountains of the world did the dwarves dwell, and in them they worked and toiled, built and farmed in service to their King and Mother and with the tutelary children. Great cities did they build, and mighty works did they erect.

In the quiet hills of the world did the gnomes dwell, and in them they herded and farmed, prayed and thought in service to Oarain itself. No cities did they build, but farms and small towns in the dells.

In the wide plains of the world did the hinfolk dwell, and in them they built and feasted, farmed and told tales by the firesides of their hearth gods. Mighty cities did they build, and sprawling civilization grew of their toil.

For many long ages did Sarnau the Bull of Heaven gaze down on his folk, who dwelled in the forests and in the mountains, in the hills and in the plains. Cities and towns did they build, and great temples to their god. For ages in the world, the humans and the elves, the dwarves and the gnomes, and the hinfolk, dwelled in peace.

One day, Sarnau the Bull of Heaven strode upon the world of Oarain his wife, and found he a deer who lay dying. To the deer he spoke: "Deer of the world, tell me why you die." The deer looked to the Bull and spoke to him: "Bull of Heaven, the plague-spirit has slain me." Confused, the Bull bade the deer to speak of the plague-spirit, who he was and what he did in the world. Spoke the deer: " I am saddened that you know not of the plague-spirit, great Bull. For how can you not? The plague-spirit has slain your wife, and her body lies dying beneath us."

The deer's words proved true, and great tears flowed from the Bull, in his grief over the death of the Heavenly Cow. Wrath grew in his heart, and he called out, seeking this plague-spirit.

It came to him, and to the Bull-God it spoke: "Why do you call for me, Bull of Heaven? For what reason do you seek me?"

Red with rage, the Bull spoke to it: "Why have you slain the Heavenly Cow, my wife of these long ages? Why do you walk through this world and bring death to all?"

To the Bull spoke the plague-spirit: "Oh Bull-God, it is my nature and my path to bring death to the creatures of this world."

Wroth, spoke the Bull: "Who are you? From whence came you, and whither do you go? Why should I not slay you yourself for your crime?"

Angrily responded the plague-spirit: "I come, oh rutting Bull, from the dark before time. When grew cold your seed on the stone, I was born. I go on toward the death of all that lives, and slay me, oh Bull. Slay me if you can. Strong have I grown in the shadow of your neglect, and stronger still do I grow from the blood of the Heavenly Cow. I spit at you, Bull of Heaven, and for ever do I hate you."

Bellowing his rage to the sky, the Bull of Heaven strode at the plague-spirit, but however much he strove, he could not overcome his enemy. Neither could the plague-spirit harm the Bull-God, and after a time, the two fell apart.

As he could not harm the plague-spirit, Sarnau the Bull-God left the spirit and took himself back to Heaven, wherein he sat and brooded over the death of his wife, and about the plague-spirit. He then set hatred in the hearts of his people for the plague-spirit, and he set hatred in the hearts of the other Good Folk of Oarain for the plague-spirit as well. In the world, the plague-spirit gathered together the twisted beings that dwelled in the foul places of the world, the outcasts and despoilers, the ravenous and the cruel. In their hearts he set hatred for Sarnau and for the Good Folk of Oarain and their gods.

For many long ages of the world, the Good Folk and the Foul Folk of Oarain strove against one another in the forests and in the mountains, in the hills and in the plains. In the swamps and in the barrens did they strive, and on the seas and below the surface of the world.

Grim became the Bull-God of Oarain, and grimmer yet his people. Besieged by the Foul Folk were they, and in dire need of succor. Sarnau the Bull heard their pleas, and he brought forth of mud and soil, plant and water a new race of beings, which he called angels in the tongue of Men. For he drew not for them of the mud and soil of Oarain, not of the plants and waters of Oarain, but instead from the mud and soil, plants and waters of the Heavenly Fields of the Bull-God, and blessed above all others in power and in grace were these angels of Heaven.

To them he spoke, and above them he set as lord Raguel, who should speak the will of the Bull to the peoples of Oarain. To the angels spoke the Bull: "You are my chosen agents on this world, and you shall work my will among the people of Oarain. Ever shall you strive against the plague-spirit and forever shall you lead my armies against the Foul Folk of Oarain. Go now, and give succor to my people."

And the angels went and dwelled among the Good Folk of Oarain, and lead them in their eternal strife against the Foul Folk of Oarain.

Skarp Hedin

First Post
The war of heaven

I, Adumbradel Thrice-Golden, Solar General of the Legions of the Sun, Vice-Marshal of the Host, Taural Knight of the Heavenly Fields of the Bull-God set pen to paper on this day of ill-repute, at the Field of Gharaung, in the shadow of the Rim Mountains.

As greatest survivor of the battle that consumed this past week, as witness to the events that scarred this day forever in the hearts and minds of the Host of Heaven, and as an angel of the Bull-God, it is my grim duty to record this for the future of the world:

Sarnau the Bull of Heaven, Bull-God of Oarain, is slain.

Some years ago, in response to the continuing aggravations posed by the plague-spirit, the Bull-God initiated a more aggressive military stance against the Foul Folk. We engaged the enemy at the mouth of the River Hasen, and we fought him at the Pass of Rhudunel. It is needless to speak of the campaign against the forces of the plague-spirit, for the details of our actions in this theater are well-known. Suffice that it be said that we strove with him at every opportunity, and missed no chance to bring fire and death, the Bull-God's just retributions, to the Foul Folk.

But on this day, at the Field of Gharaung in the shadow of the Rim Mountains, we engaged the forces of the plague-spirit in a battle the likes of which we had not yet seen. I led the Legions of the Sun bravely into the conflict, and my brother-general Barandael led his Horned Command alongside my forces. We fought against Hurrulalasask of the lizard-folk and his Scaleborn Brigade, and we fought against Ghasagagown of the minotaurs and his Legion of the Dead Sun - a twisted mockery of my own Legion of the Sun. I am pleased to record here that I slew Ghasagagown on the field of battle, and routed his troops before the day was done.

It became clear to us that the plague-spirit had marshaled many of his forces here at the Field of Gharaung in the shadow of the Rim Mountains, and that we were outnumbered to a degree that made victory untenable. This in mind, Marshal-Commander Urufael called out to the Bull-God for reinforcements.

Sarnau the Bull of Heaven chose to come himself, and with him came Raguel the Metatron Voice-of-God. Heartened by the presence of the Bull-God, our forces rallied and attacked the central armies of the plague-spirit, massed near the base of the Rim Mountains.

Unbeknownst to us, this was part of the plague-spirit's design, and when we pushed through enough of his forces to set foot on the Rim Mountains, the plague-spirit rose up before us.

We could not hope to strive against the plague-spirit and survive, and so we were forced to retreat before his onslaught. The Bull of Heaven, accompanied by Raguel the Metatron Voice-of-God came forth and to the plague-spirit the Bull-God spoke.

I shall not record here his words, for I do not believe this place could endure it once more.

But the plague-spirit was ready, and the Bull-God taken by surprise. As the plague-spirit's forces attacked us again, reinforcements of the Foul Folk emerged from the Rim Mountains. Our armies were forced back, and the plague-spirit and the Bull-God strove alone on the tallest peak of the Rim Mountains. As we fought with the armies of the plague-born on the Field of Gharaung, so fought the Bull-God with the Plague-Spirit.

Atop the tallest peak of the Rim Mountains, the plague-spirit had prepared a fell altar. At that place he had hidden weapons, and as his forces began to throw us back, and as they fought, he bent the Bull-God back over his altar.

He pierced the side of the Bull-God with a spear he had prepared, and then he struck off the Bull-God's head with an axe he had hidden. Then drew him forth a hooked knife, and with it he cut out the Bull-God's heart, and of that he ate.

Sarnau the Bull of Heaven, Bull-God of Oarain was dead, sacrificed on an altar to the plague-spirit, his heart devoured.

Our forces were thrown into confusion, and a great despair set among us. The humans, who were made of the mud and soil of Oarain, from it's plants and waters, grew saddened, and the forces of the Foul Folk set to our stunned armies, slaying without compunction. I saw Barandael of the Horned Command struck down by the Foul Folk, and Jazad Barul, commander of the Blood-Death Horde slew the Marshal-Commander of Heaven, Urufael the Dozen-Crowned.

Many of us did survive the slaughter, and now, in the aftermath of the battle, do I write this. When the Bull-God lay bloody and slain upon his altar, the plague-spirit called out over the battlefield a name, a name that he had taken for himself in the moment of the death of Sarnau, and that no more should he be known simply as the plague-spirit. Again, I will not record it here, for I fear that this place could not endure it once more.

We have fallen back from the armies of the Foul Folk. The plague-spirit stood on the tallest peak of the Rim Mountains and did nothing to aid his forces, for what reason I do not know. Nor do I know what shall happen in the world now that the Bull-God has fallen, and I fear for the survival of the Good Folk of Oarain. I am Adumbradel Thrice-Golden, once Solar General of the Legions of the Sun, Vice-Marshal of the Host, Taural Knight of the Heavenly Fields of the Bull-God.

I, Raguel the Metatron Voice-of-God do hereby decree:

I. Forevermore shall the Rim Mountains be known as the Mountains of Blood, and forevermore shall the tallest peak of the Mountains of Blood be known as the Pinnacle of the Greatest Crime.

II. Nevermore shall the name of the Bull-God be spoken in the shadow of the Mountains of Blood.

III. Never shall the name taken by the plague-spirit be spoken on this world.

IV. We angels of the Host of Heaven shall guard over this world and act as stewards of the souls of Men. Forever shall we oppose the plague-spirit and the horror he has wrought on the Field of Gharaung in the shadow of the Mountains of Blood.

V. Praised be the name of the Bull-God, and know that he shall live for ever in our hearts.

Remove ads