D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros Delayed

Amazon's entry for the upcoming Greek-themed D&D setting book Mythic Odysseys of Theros has an updated release date of July 21st, 2020, delayed from June 2nd 2020.

Amazon's entry for the upcoming Greek-themed D&D setting book Mythic Odysseys of Theros has an updated release date of July 21st, 2020, delayed from June 2nd 2020. Amazon has emailed those who pre-ordered the book to tell them about the amended date. This change is also reflected on WotC's own product page.

The D&D team has been working at home during the current pandemic, and there have been worldwide delays for everybody with printers, game stores, and distributors.

Screen Shot 2020-05-04 at 4.35.07 PM.png

Update — WotC has just made this announcement.

The printers Dungeons & Dragons depends upon to create the fantastic additions to your RPG collection have been closed to keep everyone safe during this time. Unfortunately, that means it will take a little longer to see Mythic Odysseys of Theros on your shelf. Look to pick up the standard or alternate cover at your local game store on July 21. If using digital platforms is more for you, you’re in luck because you’ll be able to access Mythic Odyssey of Theros content on June 2 on Roll 20, Fantasy Grounds and D&D Beyond.

That’s not all! We’re giving all fans a reason to support their friendly local game stores. Each participating WPN store will be able to provide a physical reference map for use with encounters and monsters in the book AND unique codes to the first 20 fans who pre-order or buy Mythic Odysseys of Theros for 50% off the digital version on D&D Beyond!

Though you may not be able to play your next Adventurers League game in person at your favorite store, we want to help support the local businesses responsible for the endless camaraderie and joy they provide. Thank you to game stores for partnering with Wizards of the Coast to make this happen!

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
The alt cover is really nice, only one Id consider buying but probably wont.
I like both those covers. It would have been a very hard decision for me (if I was deciding on cover image alone), except that I've purchased all the other alternate covers for D&D books when they were available at initial release.

Jeff Carpenter

Adventurer
Dang. I was just buying this for the monsters as I was hoping it would have some legendary version of things like medusa. I personally feel the low cr no legendary action of the MM version makes it a boring encounter but it should make a great solo boss fight.

Yeah, everything is understandably up-in-the-air and slowed down. On a smaller scale, a bunch of Kickstarters I backed are struggling to find printers for their products and not takes hits on either the cost or the schedule.

Worse, Alliance, owned by the same people as Diamond, still hasn't revealed their plan to reopen. I'm not criticizing them, just pointing out how little we know still.

WotC doesn't use Diamond as their main distributor, IIRC. But still, the industry is slowed down...

Marandahir

Crown-Forester (he/him)
Darn, I was hoping to support my FLGS as soon as they reopened with this purchase (here in NYC, everything's closed until mid-May, and I'm half expecting the closures to continue until the end of the month). I'll still buy it from them (worth the masked-hike) rather than Amazon or something, but I'm sad they'll have a further revenue delay on this front. I wonder how other tabletop companies and products scheduled for June releases will be affected, and if their revenue from those games and products will also be really slow picking back up… :(

Are they delaying the digital release, though? Roll20 still says June 2.
It still says the 2nd on DnDBeyond too.

Easy money the digital partners will delay as well: they just haven't been able to update things just yet. Likely because WotC hadn't planned on making the announcement today but was pushed to action by fans noticing the change on Amazon.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Hi - can someone provide a link to the update part? It sounds like it was on the WotC website. I'd like to send that link to my FLGS. I believe I was their first customer pre-ordering Theros.

imagineGod

Legend
A sure sign of the end times. Worst part is that I recommended this ancient Greek-themed D&D version to Players instead of Odyssey of the Dragonlords.

Probably, since I thought this would offer the authentic Wizards of the Coast version not some Bioware Computer RPG group trying their hands and traditional table top design. Shame on me now. :-(

Remove ads

Remove ads