• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Mythic Pathfinder = how to break a game

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I see mythic similarly to how I saw gestalt in 3.5. It's an option for when you have less than the standard party of four PCs and want to run an adventure that expects 4 PCs.

However, I still would have preferred epic rules to mythic - at least taking characters to level 30.

Necromancy

Explorer
Let us not discuss game mechanics when we should be discussing friendships.

Make two builds. If the first build is degenerate and makes the game too easy for you and too frustrating for the GM, switch to the other build. Your role is not to 'win,' but to contribute to everyone having fun.

I think I like this answer best. Since we don't really know what we are up against yet and DM seems loathe to change anything, I'm going to take this advice. Thank you guys for your input.

EnglishLanguage

First Post
And 800 (actually double that to 1600 in a round) damage may not seem a lot to 3.5 epic builds but in pathfinder that can actually kill anything in the game that I can think of. Is it a problem if my fighter one-shots Orcus?

So "More Damage: The Class" does more damage and can one-shot things through damage.

Again, I fail to see the problem unless non-stop fighting and killing everything is literally the only way to get through the adventure path, in which case I'd still prefer almost any spellcaster over a Fighter that can OHKO things.

DMZ2112

Chaotic Looseleaf
I think I like this answer best. Since we don't really know what we are up against yet and DM seems loathe to change anything, I'm going to take this advice. Thank you guys for your input.

For what it's worth, the small, withered part of me that is still human is glad you've chosen the path of compromise.

800 damage isn't a big issue if an enemy has time to buff up. Greater Invisibility, Blur, Fly, and Mirror Image are just some of the options that laugh at melee.

Besides, Pathfinder is basically 3.5, where you can break anything with enough books :p

A mythic Fireball - Take 1 mythic point (mythic points are 3 + 2 x Mythic Rank) looks like this:
The damage dealt increases to 1d10 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 10d10). Any creature that fails its Reflex saving throw catches on fire, taking 2d6 points of fire damage each round until the fire is extinguished.

Attempts to extinguish this fire use the spell's save DC.

Augmented (6th): If you expend two uses of mythic power, the maximum damage increases to 20d10, the area increases to a 40-foot radius spread, and any fire damage dealt by the spell bypasses fire resistance and fire immunity.

So a damage bump and puts target on fire for the mythic version - the enhanced version - nice for high level casters. Pretty decent for a blaster type mage. It uses a limited resource though. But it is a good representation of what mythic magic enhancement look like.

Part of the intent of the Mythic rules was not as much as to pump numbers (though it does some) as to give mythic characters way to "break the rules" and give them more options.

I see mythic similarly to how I saw gestalt in 3.5. It's an option for when you have less than the standard party of four PCs and want to run an adventure that expects 4 PCs.

However, I still would have preferred epic rules to mythic - at least taking characters to level 30.

I know a couple of 3PP are looking at adapting the Epic rules for Pathfinder.

As to the other comment I agree. I tend to play solo - so I run a gestalt character with mythic ranks, and higher than normal stats (for the bump to all the rolls). The other major houserule is a feat every level (so 1 character can have 2 character's worth of feat to cover 2 "roles" well). It has worked amazingly well for me and the wife. The characters are really overpowered for a normal game, but as a solo character, it works very well.

The cool thing about Mythic is it does both.
You can use it to empower low level heroes for a small group. Or you can add tiers after level 20 working as levels 21-30. Or give out tiers for higher powered characters at low levels.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
You can use it to empower low level heroes for a small group. Or you can add tiers after level 20 working as levels 21-30. Or give out tiers for higher powered characters at low levels.

Yeah, but I want the ability to stat up a 30th level wizard. That's what's still missing from Pathfinder. In order to be truly compatible with 3.x, one should be able to stat up characters from levels 20-30 because such PCs appear in 3.x products. (And yes, I know I can use the 3.x versions pretty much as is, but for completeness' sake, I wish Paizo would do epic.)

I too would like to see epic for pathfinder.. but I like a lot of different things Mythic offers. It cane be used for campaign tone.

Your game is one of those that has total caster dominance, and fighters are near useless - give all the straight non-spellcasters Mythic.
For solo games as I mentioned.
Using the Mythic rules for monsters but not for PCs, and give the Mythic to whatever monsters you want to be really scary - because they don't play by the same rules - All Undead are mythic, or All Dragons.
If you really want to run a fantasy earth game, base races for PCs, and any monster (even Orcs) have mythic - most of the antagonists of the game are NPCs, but when monsters show up it is very memorable.
Maybe the PCs are demigods, and no enemies has Mythic - the PCs are really the center of the world.
I know one mentioned in the book was the Mythic ranks were temporary - a blessing from the Gods or gifts given before an epic quest.

That are just ideas that I came up with using the Mythic rules in the first week I had it.

Mythic in addition to just doing "high level" play, allows all sorts of other campaign tone and styles to be used.

Remove ads