WOIN N.E.W Cybernetics and Mechanoids

Greetings.
I am back with yet another question regarding this wonderful system.
Can any of the robotic/mechanoid races gain cybernetics or the equivalent?

Alternately, if they cannot, could they then theoretically upgrade in the same fashion as a player would upgrade a robot they own? by buying and installing/having installed better parts into themselves.

As always, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.
-Kall

Indeed. I have read through it, and it is quite a large list, not with all the options available that there are to the robots within the bestiary. There is also a distinct lack of cybernetic equivalent options there.
E.g Skill chips, Psionic Scrambler, etc.

Furthermore, there is a distinct difference between the usage of Credits to pay for the Cybernetics, and the XP to pay for the exploits, which the upgrades are categories as.

While on the topic of the Androids specifically, there is also "Universal upgrades, Advanced Character options" where they have the Combat frame mention as a possible exploit, however, it is not explained what this actually is, it simply references the armour and chassis section, which brings no further explanations regarding what the combat frame actually is.
Can you elaborate on this?

Lastly, there was no clear direct answer regarding whether or not that the robotic races can have cybernetics, there are a few different robotic races, only 1 being Androids.
These being: Synethics, Clockpeople and Holograms.
I would assume that the hologram is unable, due to lacking a physical body unless one counts their emitter which could technically be upgraded.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's nothing in the rules preventing Androids from buying cybernetics. But no, it would make no sense for a hologram.

Thank you very much for the clarification.
It has not come up in our game yet, but it was something I was wondering about :)

While on the topic of Androids.
The exploit "Memory Wipe" would the android have to use it when it took the exploit, or does it simply allow it the ability to do so?
And if it is the latter, could it do so more than once?

MacD

Just a tourist passing your way...
Thank you very much for the clarification.
It has not come up in our game yet, but it was something I was wondering about :)

While on the topic of Androids.
The exploit "Memory Wipe" would the android have to use it when it took the exploit, or does it simply allow it the ability to do so?
And if it is the latter, could it do so more than once?
Hi there,

take a minute to think about both possible answers and how your Players would use it.
One of my players is a pc gamer sitting on an rpg table. He enjoys p&p rpg but often acts like typical single player pc meta gamer.
And yes - He wanted to play an android.

Some sessions later He asks if He could take Memory Wipe - I ask why He wants it.
Answer: He could easily adapt to any situation with it, if his skill set doesnt fit for the situation another group member could change it. I mentioned the Reset of his character personality and Memory. He didn't really understood what I meant - and it was ok for him.

I, for myself, read it as a possibility to rewrite the character anytime.

easl

Explorer
Answer: He could easily adapt to any situation with it, if his skill set doesnt fit for the situation another group member could change it.

Its a really interesting exploit that could make for a great role-playing opportunity. To that end, I probably wouldn't gank it too hard, unles the player is really abusing it. But, if it's a problem, there's IMO two obvious ways to bring the power down.
1. Have the reload of "factory default base skillset" take some nontrivial amount of time. An hour or two would probably stop anything like "we're at a door, I need lockpicking skill. Hold on, I'll reboot and get it."
2. Have the "factory default base skillset" be consistent with every reboot. I.e., the android always goes back to the same five skills. You're a C3P0 make/model but in your case learned to shoot a rifle? Okay, when you memory wipe, you go back to protocol droid. Every time you wipe, it's back to protocol droid. Enjoy your Linguistics, Diplomacy, and Etiquette skills.

Thank you for your answers.
MacD. I would place a heavy focus on what it does to the personality of the player.
Sad to hear about how he acts like a single player.
I personally read it the same way you do.
easl. I do love the first option presented with the idea of making it take a nontrivial amount of time.
The second one appears, at least to me, to be contrary to the spirit of the exploit.
Thank you for taking the time to come with your perception of the exploit.

Remove ads