N.E.W. Starship Construction Guide

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is a very preliminary start at a minimal ship data card for use in starship combat. It's designed to just present the info you'll likely need in order to speed up play - if you need the full breakdown, you can always look it up. It would probably include a basic schematic on the right to liven it up a bit.

data_card.jpg

AngryOgre

Villager
So what if (and I know that it's early in the playtest) you had a setting (or inclination) that didn't use fuel to measure operational ranges? It always seemed to me in Star Wars and Star Trek (I could be wrong about this) ships generally had a near limitless supply of fuel. How could one go about emulating that narrative point in NEW with these mechanics? Will there be some addendum in the future product to account for a softer scifi?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
So what if (and I know that it's early in the playtest) you had a setting (or inclination) that didn't use fuel to measure operational ranges? It always seemed to me in Star Wars and Star Trek (I could be wrong about this) ships generally had a near limitless supply of fuel. How could one go about emulating that narrative point in NEW with these mechanics? Will there be some addendum in the future product to account for a softer scifi?

A setting book can have any alternate rules it likes. For example, a Star Wars setting book (not that I'll be able to write one) would have rules which say hyperdrive only (no antimatter/warp drives). It may use fuel, or not, depending on whether the setting book author decides refueling is like the toilet in sci-fi - it happens, but we don't need to see it. Or just handwave it. The TARDIS has to refuel occasionally.

But yeah, specific settings can change things up as much as they want to. In your own home game, assuming you don't want to adopt a setting wholesale, the various optional rules like that will be open gamng content, and thus easy to locate and use.

LucasC

First Post
Here's a Durog battleship w/concept art! - the component parts are all standard from the chapter although I've renamed them (and changed the damage type for weapons) - this beast costs 46,615.75MCr although 40k of that is from the cloak.

dreadnaught.png

Deviations from the Rules
  • The Durog are religious zealots and receive 4x LUXURY bonus from chapels
  • I extended the torpedo ranges beyond the allowed 22 (limit based on computers)
  • I'm not sure where I find and calculate all the CPU items

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Here's a Durog battleship w/concept art! - the component parts are all standard from the chapter although I've renamed them (and changed the damage type for weapons) - this beast costs 46,615.75MCr although 40k of that is from the cloak.

View attachment 61742

Deviations from the Rules
  • The Durog are religious zealots and receive 4x LUXURY bonus from chapels
  • I extended the torpedo ranges beyond the allowed 22 (limit based on computers)
  • I'm not sure where I find and calculate all the CPU items

Fantastic. Like I said on Twitter, that layout is excellent. I may borrow it!

The CPU stuff - in the next update of the ship construction document I have each computer offering a number of CPU Cycles. These work like SS, and can be "damaged" by electronic attacks - spikes, ion beams, EMPs, hacking, etc. The ship also has an ELECTRONIC DEFENSE score which works just like DEFENSE.

Every component from the facilities and equipment section has a CPU overhead. Your computer needs enough CPU Cycles to handle them all. And as your CPU Cycles are reduced, you might have to shut down equipment. CPU Cycles regenerate pretty fast, though, so it's only a temporary thing.

All that's in my current document, so it'll be in the next update.

Remove ads