• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

N

ironvyper

First Post
Okay i will up front since theres so much controversy. I hate 3x. i like D20 i just hate everything beyond core and a handful of books that WoTC did with it. The basic mechanic is simple and elegant in my opinion.

Now saying that i can say i loathe 3x and had stopped playing it for years. In the last year i
started a warhammer game with a group, then we tried storyteller for fun. Recently a new guy joined and said he joined because I said i didnt like 3x on a forum.

So i figure okay, maybe we hate the same stuff, which for me is pidgeonholing and power gaming, So i switch to true20 after he joins, cause thats good, everyone can be anything and combat still works. so i think its good.

Then this guy joins just as we finish a story and i say that we are switching to a warhammer concept, where u can XP each session and can spend it to improve each sesssion but with only 7 base classes and anyone can take most skills. So i assume pidgeonholing is gone and all is well. Then i get an email from this guy saying he simply wont play anything where u roll a D20 and the fact that its 5% per number on the dice and so per improvement doesnt matter. Exactly the same as Warhammer but simpler. Doesnt matter. We are rolling a D20 so we are having badfun.

How do u deal with this? i incorporated what we have seen of 4e, i make it less of a stereotype. I did what i thought i could to adress 3e isssues and still be unique.

What bothers is not that this guy didnt like my houserules, or even that he didnt like my 4e elements. What bothers me is the he said "this isnt the game i grew up with and i am gone". no i am gonna keep in touch, no lets stay freinds cause everyone was cool. He just bailed on everyone the minute u rolled 1d20 instead of 2d10 for percentage.

Soi how do u deal with this sort of situation? Do u argue points, do u try to get the bottom of thier hate? Or do u say , hell he cant be a player, much as DM". What do u do?

10 years of running games and this is the first time someone left because they didnt like the math. As someone who is coming back to 4e aftar a long sabbatical, this seems lke a big problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

ObsidianCrane

First Post
You smile and say, "Thanks for letting me know, good luck and have fun"

Seriously there isn't anything else to do about it, its certainly not a fault of yours or the system that they player wants to leave over the dice rolled.

I have a local that is adverse to D20 because of the pidgeonholing issue as well, he has always felt to constrained by the class system of DnD so I'll not get to play DnD with that group of players *shrug* not really an issue. Time to find other people to play DnD with, which is fortunately not an issue. :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Tip 1: This belongs in General discussion, not 4e, so I'll move it there

Tip 2: Starting your post with saying "I hate 3e" isn't a good idea. Firstly it doesn't have anything to do with the issue you want to discuss, Secondly it is likely to prejudice any replies some people make to you, Thirdly it has a high probability of distracting the thread into other directions than your main question.

Tip 3: Make sure you give your thread a meaningful title. "N" doesn't mean anything. I've changed it to something a little less meaningless, but better would be to have a title which is clearly related to your question.

As to your question - I'd say don't sweat about it. It isn't any reflection on you and your gaming practices, it is just a personal decision that he is making. What's to worry about?

Cheers

Last edited:

Tewligan

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Tip 3: Make sure you give your thread a meaningful title. "N" doesn't mean anything. I've changed it to something a little less meaningless, but better would be to have a title which is clearly related to your question.
Hm - it's still titled "N" when I read it.

kenobi65

First Post
Sounds like he just has a particular bug up his heinie over d20 vs. d%. Some players just have sacred cows, and it's unlikely that you can change their mind. I agree, I wouldn't get bent out of shape over it.

Crothian

First Post
I handle it one of two ways depending if I like the guy. If I like him I'll engage his arguments and see if he has a real point and see if we can discuss it like adults. If I don't like him I'll politely respond that I hope he can find another gaming group that fits his personal needs.

Remove ads