• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nakatura Valley game thread

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
"I appreciate your offer of the fire. I would prefer to stay in the shadow if at all possible. Especially when the storm begins to die. The shifters have raised my ire, and by doing so, my distrust for them." Sen bows again. "I will be directly behind the shifters, at all times. Look for me in the shadows there."

GlassEye

Adventurer
"Shifters!? In the dimness I did not see clearly." Kerim frowns. "Stay to the shadows, I'll say nothing. And I'll return soon." Kerim quickly goes to where a sheet of water pours off the structure, rinses the bowls, and dashes back to the safety of the shelter and the drying warmth of the fire.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kerim returns to the gathering of travelers and hands the bowls to Mistress Qi. He goes over and settles himself on his carpet. Leaning against the wall he watches the two shifters for a while but since everything seems safe and Sen watches from the tunnel he allows himself to drift off.

mfrench

First Post
The shifters warm themselves at the fire, hungrily watching their dinner cook.

The man with the broken arm, upon seeing the mysterious horse, shouts in surprise: "Ah, my mount! She's here!" He trots over to her, explaining, "I was thrown when the storm hit, and she raced away. Thank goodness she's safe! Who found her?" he asks, looking around at the gathering.

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kerim rubs the weariness from his eyes. "Don't know, friend. But I think she's in a bit better condition than yourself." He grins and motions towards the circle of people. "Have yourself a seat and get some rest."

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Sen sits, somewhat comfortable, behind the shifters in the shadows. He reaches in his pouch and plays with a small pellet..... his catstink. He debated whether or not to toss it out now, and finally decided against it. The scent of the food along with the smell of smoke would overwhelm whatever scent he gave off. He grins as he ponders what the two shifters are thinking: have they forgotten about him or did they know he was there.......... waiting for them to slip up? The night would be fun indeed.

mfrench

First Post
As the company of strangers gather around the fire, their stories begin to emerge:

Quan and his family are headed deeper into the valley towards the town of Hiruma Watch for an upcoming festival.

The shifters were out hunting; they rarely stay in towns much at all, and have used the Tors for shelter on nights similar to tonight. They don't volunteer too much information, as it seems they are distracted by their impending dinner. Also, the slimmer one is apparantly female, though it is difficult to tell from body-type, voice, or hairstyle.

The korobokuru is a simple woodsman, who got caught going rather farther afield than normal to collect this week's bounty.

Otaru, looking over the man's arm and tending to it as best he can, explains that he and Kerim are headed towards the Lake region as well, though he reveals very little else.

The old man, who claims to have found the horse on the road, is headed to the next town to eat at his favorite inn, where they serve "The most excellent noodles you young 'uns would have ever tasted, even if your whole time in this world is short compared to me!" He is disappointed when Higoshi, the man with the damaged arm, gives him the news that the town is currently quarantined, as some sort of sickness has come over the community. He was headed to Katsuki Ford to alert the Lord there of the disaster when the storm caught him, and the horse bolted out from under him. He broke his arm, and is relieved to find that nothing is missing from his gear.

OOC: Higoshi's story seems confirmed by Sen, who was turned aside by armed guards when he came to the last town. They seemed bored at the roadside, playing dice; they were startled by his rather silent approach. They forbade him from going into the village, which is a collection of small buildings around a tall stone tower. Sen skirted the town, and later came across Higoshi, in pain on the side of the road, during the storm.

Also, Kerim notices that Higoshi discreetly checked to make sure that in his bed-roll, a sword is still safely hidden from sight there; Kerim managed to catch him doing this out of the corner of his eye.

When Higoshi mentions Sen, who saved him, one of the shifters perks up, and asks what happened to that guy?

Last edited:

GlassEye

Adventurer
Kerim listens as all around the circle relate their stories. Once they have finished he begins to speak in a low, quiet voice. "I am Kerim, Lion of the Wastes, son of Malik, son of Fahd the Ascetic, descendant of Naaman the Smith who forged the Rivers of Steel which I bear to the honor of the House of Badiya. I have ridden out of the western wastes with the holy man, Otaru, seeking answers for a vicious attack against my house, led here by a map found clutched in my dead father's hand."

Kerim turns to Master Chen and bows respectfully. "I would be honored, Revered Elder, if you would grace me with your wisdom and examine the map and tell me what you think." He'll rummage in his pack until he has located the map and will carefully hand it to the old man to examine.

Last edited:

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Sen sits in the shadow, his spear behind his back. He hears the shifter's mention ask where he is and smiles, their scent had been thrown off.

Remove ads