• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Name this player type

Chimera

First Post
Over the course of my gaming career, I've run into a number of individuals who fit a certain pattern. It was less obvious in previous versions of the game, moreso with 3e actions.

Years back, I played with a guy who would do things like "I move here, cast my spell" (wait for resolution) "Ok, now I'm moving over here (a long distance away) and searching these wagons. What do I find?". I explained to him that he could only move and cast the spell within the round. He insisted that he was moving over and searching the wagons. Ok, then you're doing that instead of casting the spell? No, I'm doing it after the spell. Round and around we went, trying to explain to the guy that he couldn't do all of that in one round, with him getting hot because he WAS searching the wagon! Heck, on the second round, he yelled at me that he had wasted a lot of time searching the wagon and wasn't finding anything YET!

The guy wasn't a beginner either, and he DM'd his own game where I'm quite certain that he would never allow anyone else to get away with it. But he kept doing it in my game.

In the years before and since, I've run into a couple of other individuals who do the same. Most often it is a beginner who simply doesn't know how much they can do in one round, but sometimes it is someone who should know better.

In the last session of one of my current games, one of the players attempted to do FIVE actions in one round. When told that the PC could only do the first two, the player insisted that, at the very least, the third was also being done. Now I know for a fact that this is not a beginner, that the person has played for several years.

Is there an official term for this kind of player, other than simple derogatory terms like "jerk" or "cheater"?

I suppose the player is the antithesis of the rules lawyer except perhaps even more annoying. As a bit of a rules lawyer myself, that's difficult to imagine but it seems quite possible.

Best Regards
Herremann the Wise

BWP

Explorer
Chimera said:
Is there an official term for this kind of player, other than simple derogatory terms like "jerk" or "cheater"?

None spring to mind, although "idiot" is also a possibility.

It's hard to imagine that this type of person is more prevalent in 3e than in previous editions; the 3e rules do spell out exactly how much you can do in a single round extremely clearly, IMO. Reminding the player that a single round represents a grand total of 6 seconds of activity (unlike prior editions) should also be conclusive, one would think ....

lonesoldier

First Post
http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=idiot said:
ass, blockhead, boob, booby, cretin, dimwit, donkey, dork, dumb ox, dumbbell, dunce, dunderhead, fool, halfwit, ignoramus, imbecile, jackass, jerk, kook, meathead, mental defective, moron, nincompoop, ninny, nitwit, pinhead, pointy head, simpleton, stupid, tomfool, twit, yo-yo
Heh, yo-yo...

My group is abusive. He is called: Guy who gets hit upside the head repeatedly.

6 seconds is the idea... Ask him if he could do all that in six seconds, and if he doesn't do it in other games he is just being a "yo-yo".

scourger

Explorer
I call that type of player "frustrating." It seems like it's a common problem. I had a long time player incensed in the early days of 3e because he couldn't 1) move, 2) pick up key, 3) move again thorugh an open double doorway, 4) close one door, and 5) ready an action to prepare to lock it when the other (double) door was closed by another player later in the round. I really wish everyone just got one action in a round. It would be much simpler. But, there would never be any combat I suppose as people would just move around more and attack less.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I'd like to see a label attached to this. I'm a big fan of labels.

This reminds me of when I was in high school. I was trying to explain how to play D&D to my mom on a road trip. So, I thought I would go through a basic "game" without dice. I would relay to her a situation, and let her make decisions. So, I went with a "dragon has kidnapped a princess" plot for simplicity. I don't remember where I started her, or whatever, but I asked her what her course of action was?

mom: "I run into the castle and rescue the princess."
me: uh....

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads