• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nathalie Portman to feature in Return of the Jedi

Rel

Liquid Awesome
DocMoriartty said:
I have never read the whole scene as it was supposed to be. Care to elaborate?

In the original version of Star Wars (Ep IV) when Greedo confronts Han in the cantina, Han shoots first. When the "Special Edition" was made, the scene was altered so that Greedo shoots first and misses, then Han shoots.

I guess Lucas did this so that Han wouldn't be perceived as a ruthless murderer but I don't know that I've ever talked to anybody who had that impression.

Oh ok, I have seen it both ways then. I just ignored the change. There is no way to see him as a ruthless murderer. Greedo made it pretty clear that he was going to either rob Han or rob and kill Han.

Rel said:

In the original version of Star Wars (Ep IV) when Greedo confronts Han in the cantina, Han shoots first. When the "Special Edition" was made, the scene was altered so that Greedo shoots first and misses, then Han shoots.

I guess Lucas did this so that Han wouldn't be perceived as a ruthless murderer but I don't know that I've ever talked to anybody who had that impression.

blickish

First Post
Wasn't Greedo a bounty hunter trying to capture Han for the reward from Jabba? Plenty of motivation for a scoundrel to shoot his way out of a sticky situation. Lucas wants to make Han more noble than he is.

That's the problem I have with this continued pointless tweaking. Lucas's constant revisionist tendencies merely betray his inadequecies as a film maker. A painter isn't going to go back to add a few pretty brushstrokes to a painting he did 20 years ago, just because he's got a new brush. I like most of the Star Wars films. I think the older ones stand up just fine on their own. Except for RotJ. All this fiddling with his earlier works just shows how unsure of his skill he really is.

Lady Dragon

First Post
I definitely would like to see them corrt a few things and tie up loose ends and maybe redo a few scenes like the darth vader/Obi-wan light saber battle in Episode 4.Adding a few scenes would be great.They have already done this once why not again.

I would also like to see an Episode 7.I guess we can all dream.

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
blickish said:
That's the problem I have with this continued pointless tweaking. Lucas's constant revisionist tendencies merely betray his inadequecies as a film maker. A painter isn't going to go back to add a few pretty brushstrokes to a painting he did 20 years ago, just because he's got a new brush. I like most of the Star Wars films. I think the older ones stand up just fine on their own. Except for RotJ. All this fiddling with his earlier works just shows how unsure of his skill he really is.

I don't think I agree. I think with today's technology he is simply completing his vision. Why he waited so long to make any preqels or sequels. He was constantly fustrated with what he could NOT do, though he was pushing the limit of FX even in the day.

I am not sure he should have changed the original trillogy (God knows there are scenes i wish he hadn't - Greedo shooting being one of them). But as an artist he has the right to revisit the subject any time he wants. And painters DO revisit painting, doing mutiple versions, and I'd even bet on the same canvas - you just don't hear about it.

Like I said before I just hope when the DVDs come out he puts BOTH versions on them - just for context.

King_Stannis

Explorer
i give lucas great credit for tinkering with his series. it kind of proves how much he loves them. most directors shoot a film and then pretty much forget it.

i've also never been outraged about the "greedo fires first" scene. to me, it doesn't detract from han. in fact, it fits right in with the scene. greedo mutters something about waiting a long time to do this, fires, misses, han fires back. han stays out of prison for murder because greedo fires first, greedo is dead, han keeps his reputation. no problem. this is kind of a borderline litmus test for going over the edge from serious star wars fan to star wars nutcase. if you are outraged by the new "greedo fires first" scene, you may not be complete lucas-hater-one-week-boycott-no-lifer, but then again, you may be headed that way. be cautious!

to the above poster who dumped on RotJ, i have only this to say. that movie still has the best space battle of ALL the movies, and it has (IMO) the most dramatic lightsaber fight. it also has the emperor. it is still my personal favorite. but suit yourself.

Last edited:

blickish

First Post
King_Stannis said:
to the above poster who dumped on RotJ, i have only this to say. that movie still has the best space battle of ALL the movies, and it has (IMO) the most dramatic lightsaber fight. it also has the emperor. it is still my personal favorite. but suit yourself.

yeah, all that is good, but the complete cheeze-ball ending really just ruins it for me. that and the ewoks. yub-yub.

King_Stannis

Explorer
blickish said:

yeah, all that is good, but the complete cheeze-ball ending really just ruins it for me. that and the ewoks. yub-yub.

what specifically about the ending didn't you like? i assume you might be talking about the celebration, but i will argue the special edition celebration is much better than the original. i love the new music especially.

ewoks are a little harder to defend. a weakness in the movie to be sure, but certainly not a fatal one. some of them do get killed, too. as a fan of that movie, it is easier for me to overlook them. i wish they would have set it on the wookie planet, but i suppose they needed a really primitive culture such as the ewoks. oh well, as i said - not a fatal flaw.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads