• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Nations and Cannons: The American Crisis for DND 5E

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Finally, a game we can all agree on that has no problematic aspects!
Man I’d really have to like, get on the same page as the DM and other players. My view of the revolution is very cynical, at least as it pertains to the leaders and initial promoters of it.

But a campaign somewhat similar to Assassin’s Creed 3, that is willing to actually ask things like “we’re any of these people except maybe John Laurens remotely good people?” and “realistically, was it even about “liberty” for most of the leaders, when King George III was more consistent in his opposition to slavery than almost all of them?” And “Can I merc Jefferson?”

That would be dope.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Go ahead and throw that tea!
There were some good people in Britain at that time - notably, Tom Paine and a very young Mary Wollstonecraft - but King George and his government were tyrannical and foolish in equal measure.
Was he? Demanding the colonies actually pay for the expense of keeping them from being taken by France (and being sacked sucks no matter who it is) seems pretty reasonable, and I dare say his views on slavery were far from tyrannical, and certainly couldn’t have made the southern colonies comfortable as British citizens.
The sentiments of the Declaration of Independence , although sadly not applied to all people, were certainly a massive step forward.
This…egregiously understates the bold-faced, blood-boiling, hypocrisy involve in the writing of that document.

Look, I love my country, but let’s not revise history to make our founders look good where they absolutely do not deserve it.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I can't wait for the sequel game covering the Mexican American War!

That's just it, with all the slavery and the genocide from the "good guys" I'm a little surprised this is even a game. But perhaps the most surprising thing about this game's setting is that most Americans find the Revolutionary War to be rather dull. Oh, sure, it's part of our founding myth, but most movies set during the revolution don't do so well. It's not nearly so sexy as our Civil War.
well Mel Gibson and Heath Ledger are a couple of Australians who seemed to have done alright with their Revolutionary War movie.:) Johnny Depps Sleepy Hollow also referenced the Hessian mercenaries

As the game pitch seems to be focussed on the Revolutionary forces it will be interesting to see how the French and Spanish in particular factor in to the gameplay.

and maybe they should cameo Simón Bolívar and Napolean as NPCs in preview to the sequels

Politics aside, I have to question the use of 5e as the system for a game about an 18th century war. 5e doesn't handle mass combat out of the box, and none of the rules attempts I've seen for large battles have been any good. 5e also doesn't capture the flavor of blackpowder combat; guns are supposed to be threathening, but in 5e usually have so much HP that getting shot a few times before you close to melee isn't something to worry about.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads