• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Natural Armor

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
So, I am just wondering HOW this works.

I know they haven't brought in natural armor for PC races. But just say we wanted to...how does it work? Or even for writing up monsters for that matter - an issue that is not even resolved in the creating monsters section (from memory).

Should it be?

A/ Your AC is 11 + Dex when wearing no armor. (Which of course is next to useless, as most armored races are going to be in fights and will want to wear armor. This would benefit non-melee types more obviously).

B/ You have +1 Natural Armor, that stacks with armor worn. (Which I know is more powerful and useful and would have to be done very carefully).

B seems the obvious choice, but I am not sure that is how the MM works. Hard to determine. Ideas?

S

Sunseeker

From the math I read, Natural Armor is a different "armor bonus" though it has to specify that it is a "Natural Armor Bonus" and not a set number.

I would suggest one of two things: Either don't allow Natural Armor bonuses to stack with armor (since armor would likely be worn over your otherwise tough hide) and thus allow it to stack with no armor (yay the Monk and Barbarian are even MORE OP!) or don't allow it to stack with Dex, benefitting heavy-armor classes.

So ex:
Bob has a +2 dex mod, and +1 natural armor. As long as Bob isn't wearing armor, Bob has a 13 AC, lets hope Bob rolls a Monk or Barbarian.
or
Bob has +2 dex and +1 natural armor. Bob is wearing Plate (no dex bonus), so Bob's AC is 19.

I think either one presents a rational image of how naturally tough hides work. Either it's a combined defense, just like layering on more armor is, or it's a defense of it's own. This way, like most racial benefits, Natural Armor would be great for some classes and not-so-great for others.

Paraxis

Explorer
For npc's just give them the AC you want them to have the why's and how's don't matter.

For player characters, the Eberron playtest gives Warforged an ability called composite plating that gives the a flat +1 to AC. A powerful ability considering things but as long as you build your natural armor PC races with only a +1 bonus I don't see much of an issue.

Jeff Carlsen

Adventurer
I would not allow armor and natural armor to stack. I consider natural armor to be a no different than worn armor in how they affect AC.

Dausuul

Legend
Aside from shields, it's quite rare to have a modifier to your AC in 5E. Most things that provide you with improved Armor Class work by changing how your base AC is calculated; as such, none of them stacks with any other. Mage armor doesn't stack with regular armor doesn't stack with barbarian Unarmored Defense doesn't stack with monk Unarmored Defense.

I would handle natural armor the same way. You can use 13 + Dex modifier (or whatever) as your base AC. If your Dex is 14, your base AC is 15. If you put on chain mail, your AC becomes 16, same as anyone else in chain mail. If your Dex is 18, your base AC is 17, and you would actually be better off without the chain mail--it slows you down too much. If you play a barbarian, you have your choice of 13 + Dex modifier or 10 + Con modifier + Dex modifier, whichever is better.

If you just want a +1 AC bonus, you could do that as a modifier without breaking things; use the warforged writeup in Unearthed Arcana as a guideline. I wouldn't go any higher than +1, though; after that it makes more sense to go with an alternative base AC.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Natural Armour provides a different base AC calculation. Exactly what it is isn't always specified, but one example would be the draconic resilience ability of the sorcerer

Draconic Resilience: Your Base AC is 13+Dex modifier

Worn armour gives a different base AC calculation. A character with two or more ways of calculating base AC chooses the best.

Cheers!

Natural armor works just like manufactured armor. If you have Natural Armor 16, then that's an alternative way that you can calculate AC, and it replaces any other formula you might be using (if it's better). Consider Barkskin as a guideline.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Natural armor works just like manufactured armor. If you have Natural Armor 16, then that's an alternative way that you can calculate AC, and it replaces any other formula you might be using (if it's better). Consider Barkskin as a guideline.

Barkskin probably isn't the best example, just because the wording is so odd... (it seems that if you're unarmoured with Barkskin your AC is 16 in the open and 16 when 3/4 behind a pillar...)

Cheers!

Li Shenron

Legend
IIRC in 3e natural armor and worn armor both granted a bonus to base AC of 10, and stacked, while in 5e worn armor sets your base AC rather than granting a bonus.

I think it could then work both ways for natural armor, either as a bonus on top of base AC (i.e. stacking with worn armor) or setting the base AC (i.e. overlapping with worn armor).

I would probably prefer the latter: it is slightly more consistent with the idea that armor generally negates damage (as cover) rather than reducing damage, and it keeps AC a little bit down versus bounded accuracy.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads