Natural Bond and Beastmaster

Hurricane

First Post
In 3.5 there is a feat called Natural Bond that adds levels to your effective Druid level. In the description of that feat it mentions that this feat may not increase your effective Druid level beyond your character level. My question is this: I have a Paladin5/Ranger4 and if I take Natural Bond and then Beastmaster(which adds 3 levels to my effective Druid level) would they stack or would the Beastmaster level bump cancel out the Natural Bond?

Any input appreciated,

Hurricane

frankthedm

First Post
Correct, Natural Bond can't raise your effective druid level past your character level. Does not matter which one you take first.

Empirate

First Post
Actually, it does matter in many cases, if not here. Benefits to your character are always assumed to be applied in the order that is most beneficial. For example, Wild Mage subtracts 3 from your caster level but adds 1d6 (rolled for every spell individually). With Practiced Spellcaster, the -3 reduction is cancelled out, so you just add 1d6 to your caster level for every spell.

A similar logic would apply to Natural Bond. However, in the specific case of Beastmaster, it simply adds (Beastmaster class level + 3) to your effective Druid level. It's a simple level calculation, there's no specific named class ability that provides a bonus to EDL. So your Paladin 5/Ranger 4/Beastmaster 1 with Natural Bond would be considered a 9th level Druid for the purpose of your Animal Companion's abilities: 2 (4 Ranger levels) +4 (1 Beastmaster level) +3 (Natural Bond).

Rakusia

First Post
seems to me if u take the one that says it cant raise it above ur lvl first then it doesnt raise it beyond the second one does. and if it doesnt say it anywhere which im no expert on then i wouldnt think it would cancel them oout to have both

Tovec

Explorer
Where are these abilities from (so I can look them up myself) or can you post the exact descriptions so we can review.

As far as what I'm seeing from replies above. Am I correct in saying Beastmaster assumes your druid level is 3 higher and the feat says it increases your effective druid level by 3 to a max of class level?

Rakusia

First Post
yea if u could link or post the feat descriptions we could be more help. in dnd where words mean everything if it doesnt say you cant then usually you can if ur smart about it. makes me glad i dont have any good rules lawyers in my group

frankthedm

First Post
yea if u could link or post the feat descriptions we could be more help.
Since those feats are not open content, unlike the SRD, posting them is generally viewed dimly, even though posting the feat to discuss it possibly falls under the concept of Fair Use*.

Googling the names of feats can be very productive to find more information about them.

*IANAL and I am a vocal detractor of the Copyreich gestapo.

Rakusia

First Post
admittedly it was an incomplete version on dndwiki. anyone know which book it came from but i didnt see anythign about beast master adding to ur druid levels

google search turned this up http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89927

some people talking about beast master using this feat. seems it can indeed be used together

under further research you could only get a plus two to your edl

5 pally + 4 ranger + 1 beast master = a 5 edl + 3 from beastmaster =8 edl natural bond cant ever put you over your char level so you would only get a +2 benefit unless you ever get another class that doesnt add to your edl.

Last edited:

Remove ads