Naughty Language Filter and Policy

Any word on if/when the language filter to censor overly colorful language will return? If it's going to be "never" or "a long time" could we get a better idea of what the policy is about it?

I am not personally bothered at all by swearing. However, I occasionally post from a work computer, and would really like to not set off any filters that could get ENWorld blocked. Also, I think that prohibiting swearing fits in with the "grandma friendly" policy and does have an affect on keeping arguments slightly more civil. I feel weird reporting a post just for swearing because I don't think people should be reprimanded for it; I'd rather just have it blocked. Especially because I think some times it's coming from older members who expect the swearing to turn into smilies.

Sacrosanct

Legend
the trickiest part is remembering that if you quote someone who swears, to edit out the swearing, or a mod will admonish you as well.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Morrus is investigating options for a filter.

So you all know and remember - even before the board change, if we saw the language filter engaged, we fairly regularly reprimanded people for it. Not because some words are naughty, but because on these boards, you should not be discussing in a matter that the emotional content of such words is invoked. If your discussion goes to a place where you call someone a forking shirtball, you'll be removed from the thread regardless.

The language filter was (and would remain, if/when it returns) not a thing you can rely on to keep you safe from moderation. If you invoke the filter you still get a hairy eyeball. Make a habit of it, and you won't like the discussion that follows.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Morrus is investigating options for a filter.

So you all know and remember - even before the board change, if we saw the language filter engaged, we fairly regularly reprimanded people for it. Not because some words are naughty, but because on these boards, you should not be discussing in a matter that the emotional content of such words is invoked. If your discussion goes to a place where you call someone a forking shirtball, you'll be removed from the thread regardless.

The language filter was (and would remain, if/when it returns) not a thing you can rely on to keep you safe from moderation. If you invoke the filter you still get a hairy eyeball. Make a habit of it, and you won't like the discussion that follows.

I would posit the vast majority of swearing done on forums isn’t related to emotional influences. Heck man, in the army, every other word was a swear word.
I’m not arguing against the policy by any means, only stating I think it’s flawed to assume people use profanity only when emotionally charged

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I remember the old filter having a funny glitch that prevented me to post a link once. Trying to stay gramma friendly, I won’t cite actual word, but use an analogy. Let’s imagine the filter considers ”gramma” a naughty word. Now if I posted for example link com.kilogrammarker.www it would throw in smileys at middle of that link. Just saying, as much I appreciate a filter, it didn’t always work as intented.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I would posit the vast majority of swearing done on forums isn’t related to emotional influences. Heck man, in the army, every other word was a swear word.

Well, consider - in an expletive-laden Army discussion, replace words with "shucks," "darn," and "fiddlesticks". It wouldn't feel the same right? It wouldn't FEEL the same - so, they are using the emotional content of the words.

They're just using it a whole heck of a lot in the military. And in the mechanics shop. And in every other place where expletive-laden language is common.

I’m not arguing against the policy by any means, only stating I think it’s flawed to assume people use profanity only when emotionally charged

It is less an assumption, and more an acceptance of lignuistics, psychology, and neurology. Expletives are part of every natural language around the globe - they are as much a part of our communication as body language. We have them set aside and given special status for a reason, and once we do that, we don't have a whole lot of choice in the matter. Use the word, and you get the connotations along with it. The degree varies, but the invocation is there.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases