• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nautical Campaigns (Forked From: How did you play. . .)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Do games where the PCs have a flying ship count?

As long as it still has the trappings of a traditional sea-faring game, I don't see why not.

I don't think we've ever done a proper sailing ship, nautical game in AD&D or other D&D systems. We have done one in Exalted though.

I get the impression that such games seem to be kind of rare.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I've rarely gotten to play in a Nautical campaign, but I've gotten to run one or two.

They can be a load of fun if you get your players into the spirit of it. Part of it will be its alien nature- you're going to run into a completely different set of foes and natural obstacles as you would in a land-based campaign...especially if your campaign ventures below the water's surface for large periods of time.

If nothing else, you'll be forcing your players to think in 3 dimensions in combat, rather than the usual 2.

Check my sig for the Aquatic Database for more info.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I've been planning to run for the longest time a game where the PCs control/are passengers on some manner of Aether Ship. While certainly not a traditional naval campaign, lots of the same elements apply.

There is obviously the ship itself. They must map out paths in the Aether currents, and steer clear of Aether storms, nebulas, comets, etc. They visit asteriods, moons, other planets, stations which is analogous to islands and continents. Plenty of rogue Aether Ships wandering the Aether themselves and beings from the other dimensions patrolling the Aether.

Heck, the suits they use for when needing to go out in the Aether is reminiscent of early diving suits.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads