NC GAME DAY II (Aug 23): Man, was that fun or what?!

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'll have to get back with you by Sunday on this, but I love the idea. It's about a 2 1/2 to 3 hour car trip to get to Raleigh, so I won't be rolling in until 8:00 or so; also, Togamario ain't drinkin' agebut that shouldn't be a problem.

For myself, I'm a tea-totaller, but that never stopped me from socializing before. :)

Jon Potter

First Post
I live in Raleigh and am quite the opposite of a teetotaller. You'll have to put me down as a maybe, though. I'm Hesitant to beg off on the family Friday night as well since I'll be playing the part of the absentee father all day Saturday.

It does sound appealing, though.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I wouldn't propose that we have this thing at a bar per se. There are a number of folks that might be interested who are not of legal drinking age and bars can sometimes be so noisy that we'd have a hard time talking anyway. Maybe a restaurant with outside seating (assuming we aren't being deluged by yet another thunderstorm).

As far as when, I probably wouldn't be able to get there until 8:00 or so anyway. We put my daughter down to bed at around 7-7:30 and so I could try and get there after that. If it works out for others to get together earlier, feel free.

We've still got a couple weeks to go, so no rush on a final decision. If anybody has further ideas on some place for a cool drink and some idle chatter to cap off the week, fire away. And we're still looking to fill most of the slots for two games, so bug the folks in your regular game groups that aren't signed up.

Lola

First Post
What about a pub-like place, such as Tir Na Nog? (I haven't been there, and would love to go... and it's close enough for me to taxi there and back should I choose to drink.)

Of course, there are other pub/resturants scattered around the triangle area...

Last edited:

Shemeska

Adventurer
Tir Na Nog is a fun place, went there last year for a friends birthday party. And there's a wonderful little story behind it too... nothing so fun as watching a crazy friend acting crazy and eventually tripping over his own chair and falling on the floor of the pub. Well the manager walks over looking concerned and says, "I think you've had enough to drink sir... are you alright?" well we all look at the manager, and truthfully answer to him, "Actually, he's had the least to drink of any of us here tonight, he's completely sober, he's normally that way."

To say nothing of the attempt at scottish dancing or something in the parking lot afterwards that led to some more falling down and lots of laughing on our parts.

But I was talking about the pub and not crazy people originally wasn't I? Heh. Good pub, portions or food are a little small IIRC, but a fun place. I might be up for it the night before game day, depends when I have to pick up a friend at one of the local train stations.

Jon Potter

First Post
Well, my friend who had been saying all along how much he wanted to come to Game Day II has officially said that he can't come. :(

So he's one less potential player.

Henry

Autoexreginated
UPDATE: I changed Drowdude's slot to a friend of Hand of Vecna's, who goes by the screenname of "Mister Book" :D I'm sorry to know that Our Favorite Spider-Guy couldn't make it, but Hopefully our M&M game will still kick butt and take names (in Silver-Age Style, of course).

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Very good, Henry. I too was hoping that Drowdude would manage to find a way to attend, but we'll just have to try and catch him next time.

I still don't have any strong preference for where we do our Friday night hang out. Part of me would really like to try and have it someplace with outdoor seating, but considering the weather we've been having, that might not be a great plan. I do like Tir Na Nog and the atmosphere is certainly good but my concerns there are that it is fairly "bar-like" and I don't know if they card people on weekend nights. Also, it is a popular place for live music which could mean that it is crowded and loud.

One other place that pops to mind is Newton's Southwest on Harrison Avenue in Cary. It is right off I-40 and should be fairly easy to get to. It has the advantage of a large outdoor patio (assuming no band is playing that night) and huge tables indoors. The food is good and big and it is more a restaurant than a bar. But I still won't be offended if folks would rather we go somewhere else. So long as there are chairs and something wet to drink, I'll be happy.

On the matter of Game Day itself, we're coming down the home stretch so if there are any gamers out there that you know who aren't already coming, invite them along. We've still got plenty of open slots. Also, I've noticed that several folks are signed up for a morning slot or afternoon slot but not both. If that's by design, great. If you're planning on being there most of the day, feel free to grab one of the available slots.

That's about all I've got for now. Expect more messages from me in varying degrees of panic or excitement as we get closer to Game Day.

Remove ads