• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NC Game Day XIX (April 25-26): GenCon Jr. Rides Again!

Mark Causey

Explorer
I may try and make it this time, as it is nice and close to the house. Was hoping there would be some open spots in games, but it looks like the unannounced time and date of pre reg have come and gone, the spots have filled, for those games that actually had any open spots. May swing by Saturday to see if any pick up games happen.

Jeremiah,

Can you contact me via email? My email is firstname.lastname@gmail.com.

Mark Causey

catsclaw227

First Post
I'm kinda bummed.

I went to the Gameday site to look or games to register for and it looks like any of the ones that I was interested in were "reserved". Is this normal for Cons?

I have never been to a Con, so I may just be ignorant, but it seems odd to post a public invitation to a bunch of people, some strangers, to come join in the games and yet 45% of the games aren't even accessible to those who aren't already part of the clique. I've wanted to try out Savage Worlds, Dread, Kobolds Ate my Baby, Song of Ice and Fire.... But these game are all reserved. (I can't be there at 9am on Saturday... 1yr old child.)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I'm kinda bummed.

I went to the Gameday site to look or games to register for and it looks like any of the ones that I was interested in were "reserved". Is this normal for Cons?

I have never been to a Con, so I may just be ignorant, but it seems odd to post a public invitation to a bunch of people, some strangers, to come join in the games and yet 45% of the games aren't even accessible to those who aren't already part of the clique. I've wanted to try out Savage Worlds, Dread, Kobolds Ate my Baby, Song of Ice and Fire.... But these game are all reserved. (I can't be there at 9am on Saturday... 1yr old child.)

You gotta understand that this is a social event as much as it is a gaming event. Many of us have known each other for years and a lot of the people attending are travelling from places that are far away like Iowa, California and Connecticut. When somebody coming from half way across the country says, "Hey, can I get a spot in your game?" I'm going to say, "Sure!"

It's not that I (or any of the other people with Reserved games) are trying to be exclusionary. It's about friends asking to be in our games. I can only say that there are still spots available in some very good games with spaces still open. True, it looks like many are at times that you are not available. But check back as I've been told by at least one person today that they are planning to post a couple more games.

catsclaw227

First Post
You gotta understand that this is a social event as much as it is a gaming event. Many of us have known each other for years and a lot of the people attending are travelling from places that are far away like Iowa, California and Connecticut. When somebody coming from half way across the country says, "Hey, can I get a spot in your game?" I'm going to say, "Sure!"

It's not that I (or any of the other people with Reserved games) are trying to be exclusionary. It's about friends asking to be in our games. I can only say that there are still spots available in some very good games with spaces still open. True, it looks like many are at times that you are not available. But check back as I've been told by at least one person today that they are planning to post a couple more games.
I didn't realize that some people travel that far. I knew there was an MD contingent, but didn't know that people came from Cali or Iowa for this weekend.

Still though, 9 out of 20 reserved games?

I'll see what there is available. Maybe I'll sign up for the 4e game, but I was really hoping to try one of the indie games. Anyway, I'll ask one of my buddies who was going to sign up with me what game he wants to play in.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I didn't realize that some people travel that far. I knew there was an MD contingent, but didn't know that people came from Cali or Iowa for this weekend.

I'll see what there is available. Maybe I'll sign up for the 4e game, but I was really hoping to try one of the indie games. Anyway, I'll ask one of my buddies who was going to sign up with me what game he wants to play in.

Another thing to remember is that this is, without question, our biggest Game Day of the year. We jokingly call it "GenCon Jr." but that joke is there for a reason. For many of us who aren't making it to GenCon this year, this is THE big gaming event of the year for us. The attendance this time, especially from those coming from out of state, is going to be probably triple what it was in January. Thus there is a higher percentage of games that were kind of spoken for before they were even announced.

Incidentally, if you do end up playing that 4e game (Henry's game) I will GUARANTEE you have a good time. Henry is one of the best GMs you'll ever meet.

kylekatern

First Post
Sure, or I could reply to the email you sent, though had I known your accusations, I would rather this had been a conversation that took place via email a year or more ago when certain actions are said to have taken place.

Also, there's a lot of attendance overlap among the various East Coast gamedays. Some of the games that are reserved are being run specifically for people that couldn't get in them in prior events. And the Vizzinni's Revenge game is a make-up for when the GM cancelled at the last minute at the last DC Gameday.

I'm pretty sure I'll be running the Song of Ice and Fire game at the Fall NC Gameday, as well as the next DC Gameday (and maybe GenCon, as well).

Last edited:

catsclaw227

First Post
Yea, I am leaning on Henry's 4e game. I'm just waiting for a reply from my gamer buddy. Maybe we'll both sign up. Another reason why my time options are limited is that weekend is the Scales of War D&D game I run with my friends locally. I can't bail on that, we've missed one already and two in a row will suck because we only play once every two weeks.

John Crichton

First Post
Another thing to remember is that this is, without question, our biggest Game Day of the year. We jokingly call it "GenCon Jr." but that joke is there for a reason. For many of us who aren't making it to GenCon this year, this is THE big gaming event of the year for us. The attendance this time, especially from those coming from out of state, is going to be probably triple what it was in January. Thus there is a higher percentage of games that were kind of spoken for before they were even announced.

Incidentally, if you do end up playing that 4e game (Henry's game) I will GUARANTEE you have a good time. Henry is one of the best GMs you'll ever meet.
Also, there's a lot of attendance overlap among the various East Coast gamedays. Some of the games that are reserved are being run specifically for people that couldn't get in them in prior events. And the Vizzinni's Revenge game is a make-up for when the GM cancelled at the last minute at the last DC Gameday.

I'm pretty sure I'll be running the Song of Ice and Fire game at the Fall NC Gameday, as well as the next DC Gameday (and maybe GenCon, as well).

Yeah, What Rod and Rel said. One the only reasons I'm running Dread twice is due to damand. I announced the game at GenCon last year and immediately had a full table based on "cool" comments. I wasn't the only one, either. As Rel said there is a large group of friends who typically have games that are very good and are at the very least known to be quality GMs.

That said, I really enjoy playing with people I've never met before. One of the best ways to get in on the early action for gamedays like NC or DC is to hang out at the Hypogeum forum at Circvs Maximvs. I'll just leave it at that. :)

Also, I am coming from CT (not a cheap plane ride or short drive) so I need to make extra certain I'm in or running 4 games that rock. The gameday is also a mini-vacation where I get to see dozens of friends that live too far away to see normally. The after-gaming and social events are just as important as the gameday itself.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Just a bump as the event is nearly upon us.

If anybody is coming to the gatherings on Friday or Saturday nights and needs directions then shoot me a PM and I'll send them to you.

See you there!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads