• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Necro is IN! Planned Products

Orcus

First Post
Kunimatyu said:
Awesome news, Clark! I'll be buying both -- even though I LIKE the directions WotC is taking the game.

I like some of the stuff they are doing, too. And I trust the people there to do some good new stuff. But I know there are some changes (succubii) and omissions (classes and races and frost giants) and other things and I just want to fill the gaps and provide some alternate ways to do things so people can convert stuff and make transition to 4E easier.

Sitara

Explorer
i think you ought to design the PG with a long term view in mind, not just as a stop-gap. If you design it with that intent (slick and well thought out, in hardcover, maybe with future support in splats) then sales will continue after 'official' version are released. Some people may prefer your version over WOTC's. (for intance, the Borderer from mongoose's conan d20 and the Woodsman from Wheel of Time d20 are preferred by many over the dnd Ranger)

And what, may I ask is your full time job? :)

FATDRAGONGAMES

First Post
Orcus said:
They know that people who would ordinarily not pick up 4E will consider it because a publisher they trust is going to support it. As I've said before, I cant tell you how many people have emailed me to tell me that Wizard's Amulet was their first 3E game and until they stumbled on it and found it for free they had no plans on going 3E.

Wizard's Amulet is what got us to convert from our long running AD&D game, and from the rumblings players in my one group are starting to make it looks like this announcement is what tipped the scales for our group to go to 4E.

The_Baldman

Explorer
Orcus said:
1. Select freelancers have had the rules for some months now. I just decided to contact one and say: I know you cant tell me what you are doing, but here is what I want you to do, can you do it? He said "yes."

and I'm just waiting to see what happens when said freelancers non-compete part of his NDA signed for playtesting kicks in. That should be interesting.

You guys don't think Wotc is actually going to give material to people earlier then publishers and not protect themselves from that person using it against them ?

Trust me I have about a half dozen ideas already for products for 4E that if I could do anything about I would in two seconds.

Last edited:

glass

(he, him)
Rechan said:
I am glad that Ari's getting to sink his rodentile fangs into more fleshy dead trees!
So am I. I will definitely be buying this and the Tome, unless I spend all my money just getting to GenCon. :D

glass.

thundershot

Adventurer
Clark, just a thought...

4E halflings are moving even farther away from the Hobbit design. What's the chance that you can provide us with Hobbits (or whatever name you use)?

Also, please try to come up with niches for the races like 4E is doing and class roles. That way it meshes better and will have a greater likelyhood that it'll get used.

Can't Wait!
Chris

Elodan

Adventurer
Clark,

Awesome news. Like a lot of others here my interest in 4E has gone from "meh" to "most likely will buy."

wavester said:
and I'm just waiting to see what happens when said freelancers non-compete part of his NDA signed for playtesting kicks in. That should be interesting.

You guys don't think Wotc is actually going to give material to people earlier then publishers and not protect themselves from that person using it against them ?

Trust me I have about a half dozen ideas already for products for 4E that if I could do anything about I would in two seconds.

Off topic a bit but I'm curious as to why you would think a playtest NDA have a non-compete clause?

The_Baldman

Explorer
Elodan said:
Off topic a bit but I'm curious as to why you would think a playtest NDA have a non-compete clause?

because I'm not stupid nor is Wotc (just don't ask my wife that question)

The playtest lid is going to be off shortly regardless because at DDXP we will have a ton of 4th edition preview material. That material is only run by playtesters, LFR campaign staff members (also testers), or Wotc staff (which I guess either wrote it or tested it).

If there is a freelancer who has the materials to work on future Wotc products and is also using it to gain an advantage for himself or a 3rd party over somebody else I fully expect bad things to happen to that person and perhaps that company as well. I love the OGL and what it enables 3rd parties to do but they should all be on an even and open playing field. In this case it seems that's not happening.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads