Necromancer Games NOT going with current GSL.

Darkwolf71

First Post
This is a sad thing. Clark has been so gung-ho for 4e for so long, it's a real shock to read that he feels this way. Not totally un-expected, but suprising, none the less.

I hope they get the GSL issues worked out. I want to see that 4e monster book. :(

Edit: Oh my... and Ari's Advanced Players Guide. I'm so sorry to hear another of your projects is in limbo.

Last edited:

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
Clark's take is interesting as he pretty much says the 3e market isn't good, he won't support Pathfinder until it's actually completed and out, and that he won't use the current GSL. He's also very sincere in supporting WoTC, while also wanting to make sure the GSL doesn't make his own rights an issue.

My guess is that he will not try to use the "games can't be copyrighted" argument some publishers are using. I know he's criticized OSRIC in the past, feeling it's not something he'd touch due to legal issues, so I doubt he'd ever try to adapt to 4e using the OGL. As a lawyer he understands the issues involved.

The good thing for him is that this ISN'T his full-time job so he can afford to wait and see. (The only negative is market share loss as some people "move on", but hopefully people won't have short memories).

Darkwolf71

First Post
Not really.

In fact I would have been shocked if Clark signed on to the GSL.

Ok, so 'shocked' wasn't the best word. More like, 'I'm in a state of shock, because one of my favorite 3pp's won't be putting out some products I was certainly looking forward too'. As I said in my second sentence, ya know the one you clipped. ;) It was not un-expected.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I'm a bit surprised. Clark was the most enthusiastic person regarding 4E and the GSL prior to its release. That he says it's too terrible to sign on with is a very damning condemnation.

I'm glad he's working to try and get a better GSL, but I wonder if that's really possible. The GSL may be changed anytime at WotC's whim, without so much as a notification process from them other than updating their web page. Even if a new GSL is released, it could just as easily be replaced later with one that's just as bad, if not worse, than the original.

I'm glad he'll at least be supporting Pathfinder, though it sounds like he'll be waiting on next year's release of the final version of the book.

smootrk

First Post
I think that it is clear that either:

(1) the GSL is a total failure, unable to draw any substantial support from 3rd parties.

or

(2) the GSL is a total SUCCESS! WotC has effectively ended 3rd party support. Now all the profits are just waiting for themselves.

Remove ads