Necromancer Games Under Fire?

Cergorach

The Laughing One
The most ridiculous thing about this article is the balance of emphasis on the fact that he plays RPGs vs. the fact that he's filed for bankruptcy twice in two years and is getting divorced. I mean it actually seems reasonable to me to criticize the character and capacity of a judge while they're going through divorce and bankruptcy. But this article is 95% about an irrelevant hobby. Sad illustration of contemporary American culture that playing RPGs is more embarrassing than being unable to manage your finances or keep a marriage together.

Really? The divorce rate in the US is around 50%, few States besides Idaho have higher divorce rates...
Law school could easily leave you with a debt of $200,000+.
Buying a house pre-house market crash would leave you with a lot of debt and little value.

Debt isn't a problem, most individuals and businesses trive on debt, the problems start that when there's a economic downturn certain agencies start collecting debt early and drives debtors into a corner they can only leave by declaring bankruptcy.

btw. where did you find that he declared bankruptcy twice? Didn't think you can file that often...

Holy Bovine

First Post
Clark Peterson is a judge? Wow! I had no idea.

And yeah, this is appalling. The whole piece echoes the hysteria of the '80s. As for posting from work... let that one who has not posted from work cast the first flame.

To me it looks likes some shyster lawyers are trying to cast Peterson in a negative light so that they have a (tiny) chance to get their cases overturned.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
That article puts the "yellow" in "yellow journalism." :mad:

I don't know Clark very well, but everything I do know about him speaks to his professionalism with regards to both his job and his hobbies, and his excellent character. For this article to try to hard to portray him in a negative light says more about that writer than it does about Clark.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
This is what you get when you politicise the judicial system. And now please excuse me while I go and sing, "God Save The Queen".

Last edited:

Sad to see people still think rpgs are somehow different than any other hobby. If he had been into antiques, baseball stats, or model trains, I doubt anyone would care that he posts messags past midnight or on his lunch break. My sense is the lawyers in this case know they can use a misunderstood hobby to paint him negatively.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
In my professional life, I kept my hobby gaming in the closet. In the division that I work for now, it's far more open, but I have in the past worked for companies where if it was found out that I was a gamer, I would be immediately fired because only IT/programmer folks do that "kompuuter" stuff, grow beards, look scruffy, wear jeans, etc. The finance guys must be immaculately professional 24/7, no exceptions. We manage the finances of multi-million projects and clinical trials, no fun and games allowed here.

I must admit, I have done the same thing for the same reason.

Remove ads