• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Necromancer or DCCs?

Blackwind

Explorer
Well, I am getting ready to start a new campaign. The group will consist of 5 or 6 players (not counting me) and meet once every two weeks. All of the players in this group are pretty experienced, and I am shooting for an "old school" feel. Unfortunately I don't have much prep time and am planning to use published modules. The question is, should I go with Necromancer or the DCC series from Goodman Games? Are there any other options that I am not aware of? Please tell me about your favorite modules. Spoilers are OK.

Thanks!

EricNoah

Adventurer
I like some of each. I'm itching to run Tomb of Abysthor (Necromancer), and I have probablly 3/4 of the available DCCs. They all look fun to me.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, it depends on what sort of game you want. Most of Necro's stuff tends to have a more depth to them than the DCC series.

Just avoid Trouble at Durbendford & Chaos Rising. And probably the M series, which isn't bad exactly, but more like tournament modules

I only have a handful of them, but most DCCs are pretty good quality.

Treebore

First Post
I recommned any of each that sound good to you.

I ran a campaign that would have went from first to 20+ using (in order introduced/started to use) Wizards Amulet (free Necro pdf download), Crucible fo Freya (availale on ebay from titan games for about $3.00 plus shipping right now), Morrick Mansion, Lost City of Barakus (also available on eBay for anbout $5.00 from Titan), Grey Citadel, Tomb of Abysthor, and Rappan Athuk (except now I would do RA:Reloaded).

Blackwind

Explorer
Well, thanks, everyone. I will probably buy a bunch of them and then mix them together, depending on what actions the PCs take. I want to keep the game challenging, as two of the players are the Gamist/Tactician type and all of them are veteran dungeon-delvers going back multiple editions.

That said, I would appreciate recommendations of specific modules: pimp your favorites! What I am hearing is that Necromancer's products have a bit more 'depth' and that people seem to really like Tomb of Abysthor...

Thanks again.

mhensley

First Post
I like 'em both as well. Tomb of Abysthor is a great dungeon but expect lots of pc deaths. It's tough, real tough.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
mhensley said:
I like 'em both as well. Tomb of Abysthor is a great dungeon but expect lots of pc deaths. It's tough, real tough.
Let me make it...five? votes for the Tomb. I co-ran it with another GM and we had a FANTASTIC game. I'd also recommend Barakus and the Tomb of Larin Karr. It's funny, really: Necromancer came out with some fantastic adventures right out of the gate, but I'm not so impressed with their later stuff.

I honestly don't have any experience with Goodman Games' series, so I can't help you there... :\

--Steve

mhensley

First Post
Of course, another good option for you is the new Savage Tide adventure path that just started up in Dungeon. Just get a subscription and you have all the campaign you'll need for a long while.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads