need a city campaign module, recommendations?

Hautamaki

First Post
My group just finished the Keep on the Borderlands, and are now wanting to move on to a city-based campaign. They are 3rd and 4th level, for reference, but probably slightly above average power for that level because of their treasure (they suffered many deaths but were able to recover the bodies most of the time, meaning between the 5 of them they have nearly 20 1st/2nd level characters worth of treasure... lol)

Although I said their levels, I don't really care what ruleset the campaign is written for, I can convert it easily enough. I just mentioned that because a city like Sigil is not really appropriate for where they are.

Thanks in advance!

S'mon

Legend
I'm loving Yggsburgh by E Gary Gygax, amazing stuff and it's only $24 on amazon.com - [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Castle-Zagyg-One-Gary-Gygax/dp/1931275688]Amazon.com: Castle Zagyg Volume One: Yggsburgh (9781931275682): Gary Gygax: Books[/ame]

It's a detailed city of 22,000 with 34x50 mile surrounding area heavily detailed. Has literally 1,000 adventures & adventure seeds. Stats are minimal, being for C&C. Will work great with any D&D variant. Culture is late medieval to Renaissance, like Greyhawk. It's awesome, and criminally underrated.

My next choice is City State of the Invincible Overlord, either the 1e or 3e version, but you'd need to get those on pdf from eg rpgnow. It's a Lawful-Evil city state of 80,000 mapped in great detail. Culture is a kind of Roman Empire meets fantasy medieval, very like Lamkhmar.

Edit: As written, Yggsburgh is designed for PCs starting at ca 4th level, and should be a perfect fit with a group coming from the Keep on the Borderlands. If you and they enjoy Gygax's style, then go for it! :)

S'mon

Legend
Thanks S'mon, I'll check em out!

BTW in my Yggsburgh campaign I've halved NPCs levels, so they are mostly 2nd-8th rather than 3rd-16th. The 3-16 range is closer to the 3e default for a large city, though. For hostile NPCs your PCs will likely fight EGG typically gives a suitable level range rather than a fixed number; the low end numbers will work fine for a tough group of level 3 PCs, the high end is for ca 6th-7th level PCs.

Treebore

First Post
I'm totally on board with S'mon's recommendations, but there is also the 4E Punjar modules by Goodman Games, 3E Lost City of Barakus and Bard's Gate by Necromancer Games, the there are the Scarred Lands cities of Hollowfaust and Mithril by White Wolf Publishing that are darn good. There are others, but these are the most memorable, IMO. Oh, plus Green Ronins famous pirate city.

Like I said, there are others. Like one I am trying to recall seems to have had the word Silver in it. So hopefully others with better memories will fill you in.

Treebore

First Post
Now if you want to make any city really come alive, use these classics, the City Book series. Scroll down until you see them.

Catalyst

He has all but one in stock.

Jeffrey

First Post
Agree with all of the suggestions above. You can't go wrong.

I have a whole box full of the Thieves Guild/Haven stuff in my basement. Time to dig it out and enjoy it again.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I'm loving Yggsburgh by E Gary Gygax, amazing stuff and it's only $24 on amazon.com - Amazon.com: Castle Zagyg Volume One: Yggsburgh (9781931275682): Gary Gygax: Books

It's a detailed city of 22,000 with 34x50 mile surrounding area heavily detailed. Has literally 1,000 adventures & adventure seeds. Stats are minimal, being for C&C. Will work great with any D&D variant. Culture is late medieval to Renaissance, like Greyhawk. It's awesome, and criminally underrated.

Never heard of it before, but I'll have to check that one out - I've always loved urban/city adventures dating back 30 or so years now.

I'd XP you for it, but I need to spread it around more first.

Thanks for the suggestion

Remove ads