D&D General Need a little help with an ancient immortal character

DisaVelet

Villager
Hey Guys! I hope everything is well! :) (I don’t know where to put this, I’m new here :()

So our DM made a Champaign set in Modern day world with magic and all the stuff. I’m making an ancient spartan warrior who died during a war but Hades decided to make him his warrior/assassin, granting him magical and / stealthy abilities. (But he doesn’t worship him or anything, all my character wanted was to die, but Hades had another use for him, to punish those who cheated death) So he’s 2,400 years old (the dm is okay with it, he even helped me make his backstory) He’s a variant human

Anyway I’m kinda stuck of which class and subclass should I choose and what weapons he would use. {I’m not a fan of multiclassing, sorry :(}
For classes I thought:
  1. Barbarian: Ancestral Guardian
  2. Fighter: Echo Knight
  3. Fighter: Eldritch Knight
  4. Ranger: Gloom Stalker
  5. Rogue: Arcane Trickster
  6. Rogue: Assassin
  7. {if you have another class or subclass in mind please tell me :))
As for weapons I don’t know… he lived in ancient times where all he used was spear and shield but times flies so he would change weapons (in the Champaign there is guns and stuff) so can you help me with that too please :) thank you

aco175

Legend
Need more info please. What kind of game is it and what level. You have tagged D&D, but sounds like you have a more modern game in mind.

Have you looked at the Casca books by Barry Sadler? They are about the Roman soldier that stabbed Jesus on the cross and was cursed to wander the world until the 2nd coming. Each book is a piece of time where he is a legionnaire, a viking, a tank soldier, etc...

Need more info please. What kind of game is it and what level. You have tagged D&D, but sounds like you have a more modern game in mind.

Have you looked at the Casca books by Barry Sadler? They are about the Roman soldier that stabbed Jesus on the cross and was cursed to wander the world until the 2nd coming. Each book is a piece of time where he is a legionnaire, a viking, a tank soldier, etc...
I was fortunate to read one those. Every flee market I visit, I spend some time at the book stands hoping to find another book in the series. The one I read belonged to a friend and it was the only 1 he had.

I second the Casca books, as well as VtM and even the Highlander series to mine for ideas.

Last edited:

DisaVelet

Villager

My DM wanted to make a Champaign set in the future but elves, dwarf etc live together and I wanted to make a character that lived for 2,400 years serving Hades & Persephone. I’m only thinking about what would my character class and subclass would be & what weapons would he use. He was a warrior that died in a war and now he’s serving Hades. Punishing people that cheated death. That’s all :) i also will read the books your recommended they sound interesting :)

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Do you know what level you start at?

The idea of an eternal warrior is cool. Of the classes you suggest, most do not obviously reflect that long-livedness. Even Assassin (the closest to what you describe) really only gets relevant abilities at levels 3 and 17.

Have you considered Cleric? A War cleric at level 9 gets the commune spell, which would let you have regular access to Hades, and at 10+ you have the chance for divine intervention. Even if he had not planned on being a cleric, you could create something really cool -- War cleric (fighting with a pike or spear+shield, which would let you also benefit from polearm master)?

Paladin would also make sense -- a LN Oath of Conquest Paladin would be a good servant of Hades.

Finally, for your race: You may want to look at the Shadar-Kai for a long-lived species associated with Death. Even if you and your DM skinned it so that you're not Shadakai but "eternal human" (or whatever), the knowledge gained from the Trance feature is appropriate for a very long-lived species, and the flavour would work well.

So my proposal for your idea would be a Shadar-Kai War Cleric, fighting with a pike.

DisaVelet

Villager
Do you know what level you start at?

The idea of an eternal warrior is cool. Of the classes you suggest, most do not obviously reflect that long-livedness. Even Assassin (the closest to what you describe) really only gets relevant abilities at levels 3 and 17.

Have you considered Cleric? A War cleric at level 9 gets the commune spell, which would let you have regular access to Hades, and at 10+ you have the chance for divine intervention. Even if he had not planned on being a cleric, you could create something really cool -- War cleric (fighting with a pike or spear+shield, which would let you also benefit from polearm master)?

Paladin would also make sense -- a LN Oath of Conquest Paladin would be a good servant of Hades.

Finally, for your race: You may want to look at the Shadar-Kai for a long-lived species associated with Death. Even if you and your DM skinned it so that you're not Shadakai but "eternal human" (or whatever), the knowledge gained from the Trance feature is appropriate for a very long-lived species, and the flavour would work well.

So my proposal for your idea would be a Shadar-Kai War Cleric, fighting with a pike.
Well to make it fair for all the players, he said we will start at 6 level

I didn’t consider a Cleric but I like your proposal thank you :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases