• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need clarification on total damage from a charge with lots of modifiers

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
drnuncheon said:
One thing I noticed is that he appears to be multiplying multipliers (double your strength, then double your damage - that winds up being 4x strength when it should be 3x under the D&D multiplier rules). Also, he's doubling, and then tripling from the crits.

Also, I think that the 2x strength from power lunge replaces the normal 1.5 str you get from a 2-handed weapon - but I'm not certain about that.

Assuming that I'm wrong about power lunge, his calculations should be like this:

Str 28 (+13), Weapon at +3 (Greater Magic Weapon), Power lunge (+9), Power attack at +3 =

+13 + 3 +3 = 1d12 +19, + 9 that has been doubled once from the power lunge.

With the headlong rush, that becomes 2d12+38+9 (avg dmg of 60)

With a crit, that becomes 4d12+76+9 (because a doubling plus a tripling equals a quadrupling in D&D) for avg dmg of 111.

I want to go back to this one again. There's Power Lunge, which multiplies strength. Then there's headlong rush, which multiplies damage. They're multiplying two different things. Are you saying they shouldn't both be used?

If this is so, what about a two handed weapon doing a crit? You're multiplying strength and then multiplying damage. Are you saying you shouldn't multiply both?

Spatula

Explorer
I just want to back up the comments on the magic item pricing formulas being guidelines. Note, for example, the actual price for a ring of invisibility vs the calculated price: the ring's price is way above what the formula would place it at, because it's a tremendously useful item. So don't be afraid to revise the calculated cost upwards if you think an item is really powerful (as a vest of righteous might undoubtedly would be).

drnuncheon

Explorer
Kershek said:

I want to go back to this one again. There's Power Lunge, which multiplies strength. Then there's headlong rush, which multiplies damage. They're multiplying two different things. Are you saying they shouldn't both be used?

If this is so, what about a two handed weapon doing a crit? You're multiplying strength and then multiplying damage. Are you saying you shouldn't multiply both?

That's a good point - I don't have my books with me, so I don't recall the exact wording of power lunge.

Still, the headlong rush & the crits won't multiply each other, since they both multiply damage.

J

dcollins

Explorer
Kershek said:
Knowing him, he'll probably make it usable once per day to cut the costs. That would make it 16,200 gold or 8,100 gold to make. Or double it for twice per day.

I'd have to take a look at how to increase that without him thinking it's being priced high just to penalize him.

As others have pointed out, you don't have to allow aribtrary "new items" designed by players (especially non-item crafters). In fact, you don't have to allow any "new items" in the game at all. The "new item" table is specifically intended for DM-designed items, not for use by the players.

If you allow arbitrary shopping off that table, then you will get broken characters, exactly like what you're dealing with.

www.superdan.net/dndfaq3.html

Darklone

If you look for tactics against those guys,... any lvl6 fighter with a readied reach weapon, Movement Check feat and Combat Reflexes plus some initiative increasing feats might easily ruin his day...

If you don't use the D&D Kalamar stuff, check for a psionic dude with Stand Still, a large monster with Large and in Charge, or simply a polearm fighter with Knock down... He should be hit easily during his charge.

Headlong Rush was where? Lions Charge spell... definitely don't allow it. Even if you interpret the spell as only refering to natural weapons, the monks will hop to heaven cause of org**stic joy.

Remove ads